• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think happens when we die

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Walt,
I'd be happy without this itchy crotch,
the hell with my cognition.
Where's my glass......

ajay0

People usually get petrified and unconscious due to fear of oblivion when the process of death approaches, so they miss an important experience and opportunity for observing the whole thing consciously.

The challenge in yoga is to remain aware and conscious at the time of physical death. It is said to be a beautiful experience then.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I think it all depends. However, I also think it's possible that "eternity" just feels that way and maybe it's just a few minutes or whatever. After all, do you know you're alive in between dreams? Not really. Probably same difference.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It's a very simple question. What happens when we die? What are you true feelings on the subject. Do you believe what other people tell you is true. Or do you have your own ideas on the subject.

Here are my thoughts: I think when we die we look into the face of God and become mesmerized by God's infinite beauty. Time stops and we experience eternal Heavenly bliss. Everyone gets to have this experience regardless of our Earthly sins. I think my way of looking at this matches the evidence we have from near death experiences.

Even though looking into the face of God lasts only a few nanoseconds, it feels like eternity. Eventually the brain's electricity dissipates and conscious thought stops. But who cares. Once you look into the face of God experiencing God's infinite beauty is there anything else left to do. I don't think so.

Is this a good thing or bad thing. I think everything in life is "good". It's all good!
i think those who have become attached to a form become disoriented. the mind has become limited to the conditions and senses of this existence. it will take time for it to adjust to being unconditioned for the experience.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
It's a very simple question. What happens when we die? ...

This is the subject of a major Upanishad "Katha", wherein the deity of death himself as the teacher instructs a boy named Nachiketa on the subject. Those who are interested may wish to read this.

The Katha Upanishad with Shankara’s Commentary
The Upanishads, Part 2 (SBE15): Katha-Upanishad: I, 1
Katha Upanishad Translation by Eknath Easwaran - वेद Veda

I have linked three versions. The last one being modern may be the easiest to read, if one wishes to do so.

Those who are intelligent and not willing to go through a difficult text may read the following (as summary):

The joy of the Atman (self) ever abides,
But not what seems pleasant to the senses.

Last edited:

dianaiad

People usually get petrified and unconscious due to fear of oblivion when the process of death approaches, so they miss an important experience and opportunity for observing the whole thing consciously.

The challenge in yoga is to remain aware and conscious at the time of physical death. It is said to be a beautiful experience then.

Said by whom?

those who claim to have personal experience with it are lying, since they are not, after all, dead.
Those who say this and claim to know because they saw someone else die are blowing smoke; how do they know what's going on inside the head of the dying one?

Personally, I can tell you: I'm not a bit afraid of, or worried about, BEING dead.
it's the 'dying' part that sucks.

As for what happens after that?

My own religious beliefs tell me that though my body ceases to function, my spirit continues on, to be, at some time, resurrected. (shrug) Actually, I believe that. Don't quite know what I'll be doing or thinking at that time, but hey, nobody else does, either. What I DO know is this: when I argue/debate with non-believers about whether there will be a life after physical death, it's sometimes fun to realize that, no matter which of us is correct, I'm the only one who will be able to say 'I told you so."

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Personally, I can tell you: I'm not a bit afraid of, or worried about, BEING dead.
it's the 'dying' part that sucks.
As for what happens after that?
My own religious beliefs tell me that though my body ceases to function, my spirit continues on, to be, at some time, resurrected. (shrug) Actually, I believe that. Don't quite know what I'll be doing or thinking at that time, but hey, nobody else does, either. .................."

When you say 'nobody else does, either.' I am wondering if that 'nobody' includes Jesus.
To me, since God sent the pre-human Jesus from heaven down to earth for us, then I would think that Jesus would know about death and resurrection. That is why I find chapter 11 of John to be a great interest.
There Jesus teaches that the dead are in a sleep-like state. His dead friend was in the grip death's sleep until the Voice of Jesus resurrected (awakened) his dead friend back to live healthy physical life on earth.

Since by age 12 Jesus was already well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures, so Jesus would have learned about that sleeping conditions from them. Such as Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5 that the dead know nothing. So, the dead are Not aware of anything just as we are Not aware of the passing of time while asleep.

I find at Ecclesiastes 3:20-21 there is mention about one's spirit. Adam then would have had a spirit, and we can read about what happened to Adam at Genesis 3:19. There is No mention of any post-mortem life, but that Adam simply 'returned' back to the dust of the ground. So, Adam's spirit was Not a spirit person, as angels are invisible spirit creation. Adam was never an invisible angel, but formed from the dust of the ground - Genesis 2:7, so in order to have a resurrection one would need one's ' life's spirit ' returned to him.
As we know a foreclosed house does Not go anywhere, or move anywhere, but simply is ' returned ' back in possession tothe hands of the owner, so our 'life's spirit' is returned back to God's hands until Resurrection Day when during Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over earth there will be a resurrection.....

At that thousand-year Resurrection Day or time frame it appears what we'll be doing is recorded in the words found at Revelation 22:2 that there will be ' healing ' for earth's nations. So, to me that means we will be enjoying the best of health. Being perfectly physically healthy in mind, heart, body and full of life's spirit, then we can do the things mentioned in the 35th chapter of Isaiah. I would think we will be thinking "W0W" earth is becoming a beautiful paradisical earth as it was originally meant to be for us to happily enjoy forever.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
......... After all, do you know you're alive in between dreams? Not really. Probably same difference.

Just as we are Not aware of the passing of time while asleep, I find in John chapter 11 that Jesus was teaching the same idea because the dead do Not know they are dead because they are in a sleep-like state of un-consciousness.

So, the ' in between ' would be alive now, then dead, then followed by being awakened from death's deep sleep back to live life again. In Scripture, some people to live heavenly life, but most to live a happy-and-healthy physical life on earth with the prospect of living forever on earth under wonderful paradisical conditions as described at Revelation 22:2 because there will be ' healing ' (forever health) for earth's nations.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that when we die, our consciousness dissolves. it is no more. Then our bodies rot (if there are enough bacteria around) or mummify (otherwise).

I'm not sure what else there is to say about it.

lostwanderingsoul

Fortunately, I do not have to guess because I believe the Bible. The Bible says we will be dead in all ways until Jesus returns and gives us new life.

dianaiad

When you say 'nobody else does, either.' I am wondering if that 'nobody' includes Jesus.

Well, I imagine that He does.

I suppose I should have written "nobody but Jesus" knows. Nobody on the planet today does, certainly. Those of us who believe have faith in an afterlife, but belief is NOT knowledge, no matter how much trust we put in those beliefs.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
New It's a very simple question. What happens when we die? What are you true feelings on the subject. Do you believe what other people tell you is true. Or do you have your own ideas on the subject.

My own ideas incline toward the ego ceasing at death, for it is a house built of all these sensations and memory impressions. The ego is a false house, for if I ask a person about themselves today and 10 years ago- which of them was the true individual? Buddhism just happens to have similar feelings to mine on the subject. I believe that what reincarnates receives impressions from life, but am not certain to what degree. Buddhism attributes this to the Skandhas sometimes, but I don't know how to describe the Skandhas doing this- since they are also empty. They are the collective of sensations, memory, impressions, etc I spoke about. I rather like Advaita's notion of a non-dual Atman. That you can speak of that is not your memory or impression, but you see yourself- that thou art.