• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think happens when we die

dfnj

It's a very simple question. What happens when we die? What are you true feelings on the subject. Do you believe what other people tell you is true. Or do you have your own ideas on the subject.

Here are my thoughts: I think when we die we look into the face of God and become mesmerized by God's infinite beauty. Time stops and we experience eternal Heavenly bliss. Everyone gets to have this experience regardless of our Earthly sins. I think my way of looking at this matches the evidence we have from near death experiences.

Even though looking into the face of God lasts only a few nanoseconds, it feels like eternity. Eventually the brain's electricity dissipates and conscious thought stops. But who cares. Once you look into the face of God experiencing God's infinite beauty is there anything else left to do. I don't think so.

Is this a good thing or bad thing. I think everything in life is "good". It's all good!

WalterTrull

Godfella
Yeah, well, that's some pretty specific thinking dude. You might be right, who knows. My personal belief is that the Noah metaphor is an attempt to explain it. Probably can't really explain death without metaphor. Just no context.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm pretty sure the ego doesn't survive. Beyond that, it remains that undiscovered country from whose born no traveler returns.

moorea944

Great question! Thanks for posting!

So........ what do I think happens to us in death is.... I look at scripture, and it says that basically, when we die, we cease to exist. When we are dead, we are dead. No afterlife, no nothing. Wow, so what is our hope? Scripture tells us that it is the resurrection. That is what we hope for. Then and only then are we, if accepted, given our rewards and promises, eternal life.

No where in scripture does it talk about an "immortal soul". In fact, those two words are never found together in the bible at all. "Soul" in the org. lang, means someone who is alive, a living, breathing frame. That's all. Adam "became" a soul, he did not get one.

Eccl 9 "For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun."

Psalms 6 "In death there is no remembrance of Thee: in the grave, who shall give Thee thanks?"

Those are just two of many verses on death. Paul even preaches the resurrection to people in the book of Acts to make them totally understand what is going to happen to them at death.

Acts 2, Peter gives examples of what death is by taking about David. David is just dead and buried and he didnt go to heaven. Peter was making a solid point.

When we die all of our body parts die with us. Our liver, kidneys, etc. Our brains die too. Our brains make us think and dream and do many tasks. So now we cant do any of that. I think people in the world are afraid of death. They dont want to hear someone tell them that when you die, that's it. They want to hear that you can still live and praise God and watch your Grandchildren grow up and everything is going to be fine. Scripture knows nothing of that. An afterlife comes from pagan beliefs from Egypt, Babylon, etc..........

If you have a moment, read 1 Cor 15.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It's a very simple question. What happens when we die? What are you true feelings on the subject. Do you believe what other people tell you is true. Or do you have your own ideas on the subject.

Here are my thoughts: I think when we die we look into the face of God and become mesmerized by God's infinite beauty. Time stops and we experience eternal Heavenly bliss. Everyone gets to have this experience regardless of our Earthly sins. I think my way of looking at this matches the evidence we have from near death experiences.

Even though looking into the face of God lasts only a few nanoseconds, it feels like eternity. Eventually the brain's electricity dissipates and conscious thought stops. But who cares. Once you look into the face of God experiencing God's infinite beauty is there anything else left to do. I don't think so.

Is this a good thing or bad thing. I think everything in life is "good". It's all good!

I have a feeling it has to do with consciousness, several different idea's none really substantiated.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well, The Buddha taught we go through rebirths until we are no longer attached to this world and literally die. I'm a convert so that doesn't enter my common-sense yet but bit makes sense. I was thinking about this last night actually.

Death is like before we were born. Lights out. Every time I think of it I get a jolt of fear. Following The Dharma helps me understand these feelings a lot. I wish I knew how I'd die. I decided to make a forty years plan for my life now and live as if I'm going to die soon rather be stuck in delusion that Im going to live inthe future. Lessens surprises and attachment to society's common belief we will live forever.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The physical realities of death are a little messy especially if the person was healthy, the corpse typically urinates itself and defecation is common due to loss of control of the sphincter and movement of a body postmortem may cause more stool to be released by built up gasses forcing it out, the smell is something that has to be experienced not described. In the case of the elderly or infirmed many times they have stopped eating or drinking a day or days before death so this may not always happen, it's not the same for everybody (no pun intended).

WalterTrull

Godfella
The physical realities of death are a little messy especially if the person was healthy, the corpse typically urinates itself and defecation is common due to loss of control of the sphincter and movement of a body postmortem may cause more stool to be released by built up gasses forcing it out, the smell is something that has to be experienced not described. In the case of the elderly or infirmed many times they have stopped eating or drinking a day or days before death so this may not always happen, it's not the same for everybody (no pun intended).
Ewww

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What happens when we die?
My opinion is that the early stages after death can best be understood by looking at reports from the Near Death Experiencers that leave their body and see things from an outside the physical body perspective and then move/tunnel to experience on a non-physical (astral) plane of reality.

Beyond that initial stage, growing and greater understanding occurs in this astral/heaven plane and eventually the soul will in most cases see the need for new physical experiences (reincarnation). The eventual end after eons is the realization that life and consciousness are all One and we will be beyond the illusion of separateness and individual ego experiences.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Physics indicates time is a dimension. The direct implication is that your past remains with you in it, locked unchangeable. Its like being a portrait, so make your life a beautiful one. Also make the lives of other people meaningful when you can. Read a biography for example, and perhaps consider writing your own.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Not believing in any sort of single creator,
I believe in the infinite resurrection of all energy.
We live as we will, causing most of own failings.
We will all die eventually, and become some other format.
I believe I'm doomed to spend the rest of infinity,
on this earth, as there is no heaven, and that, in itself, is sad.
I worship life and what it gives, or takes, and the balance must vary.
But I shall not begin to worship some imaginary vision in the skies.
I'll just hang with Life's Stuff for awhile.
Shortly, we'll all be memories, to someone else's thoughts.
I'll go to what is waiting there, whatever it will be.
But....I do love most thinking...but I doubt that I understand.
And....I think I'll miss my cognizance.
NuffStuff

WalterTrull

Godfella
Not believing in any sort of single creator,
I believe in the infinite resurrection of all energy.
We live as we will, causing most of own failings.
We will all die eventually, and become some other format.
I believe I'm doomed to spend the rest of infinity,
on this earth, as there is no heaven, and that, in itself, is sad.
I worship life and what it gives, or takes, and the balance must vary.
But I shall not begin to worship some imaginary vision in the skies.
I'll just hang with Life's Stuff for awhile.
Shortly, we'll all be memories, to someone else's thoughts.
I'll go to what is waiting there, whatever it will be.
But....I do love most thinking...but I doubt that I understand.
And....I think I'll miss my cognizance.
NuffStuff
May I suggest a single malt?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Recently, one of my wife's cousins passed. At the funeral, listening to a minister who had never even met him go through a generic service, I realized that I would like to preside at my own funeral...

Short of that, I'm thinking of making a video that includes some of my favorite music, poems I've written (and at least a few lines of those by other people that I like), some of my photographs, etc.

Not sure if I'd say much about what I believe about life, death and the afterlife.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What happens to some degree depends on how the person died - via suicide, suddenly in an accident, quietly after a long life.

If the death is premature, there is an attachment to the world which can linger. Wild grief on the part of those still living can also hold the soul out of a desire to let the person know that they still live.

Sooner or later there is a review of the life just passed. If positive action dominated, the joy can be called being in heaven. If negative acts dominated, the pain can be called hell.

After the lessons of the ended life are fully absorbed, sooner or later the soul takes another body. A joke from someone was that the "dead" wanted to avoid taking another body and having to go through adolescence again.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think there are any secrets nor mysteries to it. Death is more than likely as much of an end as it seems to be.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ahhhhh....Luis....regardless of the eventual end,
there's always another format, sans cognition.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone on RF comes to my funeral and if they don't they die. I'm sure I can trust those who do come to carry this out sufficiently.

You taking any chances?