• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what do you think happens after death?

The Black Whirlwind

I think your soul is re-absorbed into the force (or tao), but if you need more knowledge of the world that you did not learn in your past life you are reincarnated. What do the rest of you guys think?

Pah

Uber all member
I'm of the opinion that after death, the body rots and memories held by friends and loved ones are the only remaining "soul".

No*s

Captain Obvious
I believe we enter a limited presence of God which is a preview of the future. When Christ returns, the presence of God is fully revealed. We will then experience Him according to what we have conformed ourselves to. To some, God will be Hell. To others, God will be Heaven.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Master Vigil said:
I choose.... I don't know, and it doesn't matter. I'll tell you when I get there. But for now, I'll focus on now.
I like this one. I pick this one.
Treasure every moment that you have!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.

Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
md_88 said:
I think your soul is re-absorbed into the force (or tao), but if you need more knowledge of the world that you did not learn in your past life you are reincarnated. What do the rest of you guys think?
I think much as you do (we use different words, but, as the Bard said, what's in a name?
(I've cheated and copied this from my own web-site, but don't tell anyone!!!)
We are here to grow; all life is attuned to growth, perpetuation, and lastly to decay. By definition, the 'Almighty being', 'God', the 'force of nature' - I call him God- promotes growth. Spiritual growth as well as physical growth. That such a being would shower some with advantages beyond the comprehension of those born devoid of any hope of anything but the most basic form of existence is contrary to the essence of such a being. That is one of the reasons why I believe in reincarnation - to me it is the only possibility.

I used to explain my Idea of the life of a soul by comparison with that of the life of an individual, in his own lifetime. When a baby is born, he is cared for by his mother until he is able to go to kindergarten, from which he will progress to increasingly demanding places of learning. At each stage of scholastic evaluation, he can either be promoted, or go through the same content again until he is deemed qualified to progress.

For the mothers of babies, read God of all Souls; for each year in school, read each incarnations on Earth (maybe elsewhere?). Using that same analogy, life as an adult in a field that he has chosen is the same for the soul who, by his own choice, commits himself to a particular task of self improvement. The last stage, at the end of all the lessons that are to be achieved lies the ultimate incarnation; I would propose those of Jesus Christ, Buddha....any example of a magnificent being in whatever religion. Basically they all have very much in common; they have all reached the same level of competence and are ready for 'the next step'. Whatever that is; we, with only the understanding of matter we can see can only begin to imagine what lies thereafter.:)

Lightkeeper

I the Tibetan Book of The Dead, they say something to the effect that when you die you go through whatever your state of mind was before death. In other words you could go where you think you will go.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I quote Wyatt Earp as played by Kurt Russell in Tombstone:
"I don't know. Something. Nothing. Hell i don't know."

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
We are incarnated into the Otherworld, where we live, die, and get judged. We either reincarnate into this realm, the next one, or one below it, eventually (hopefully) reaching the highest realm, the "Source". We become one with the Source, before being incarnated into the lowest realm, to begin the journey again.

oracle

Who knows what happens. Personally I think that there is an eternal "soul" that is nothingness, or the "Tao", whatever you want to call it, although it is nothingness it is also everything that exists. Nothingness is where all life begins, and it is where it all ends. Life, the subjective mind, the consciousness is an illusion. Life is an illusion. Whether there is an afterlife or not, I think that the self eventually dissolves from where it began. You eventually lose self idenity, self existence, you become more whole and more identified with everything, you lose that distinction between inside and outside.

precept

Ecclesiastes 12:5 "......Man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets".

Job 34:15 " All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again into dust."

Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after death? THE JUDGEMENT!

precept

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Death brings sleep until we wake to go to the place we have chosen. Some have chosen to be with God, some have chosen not to be with God.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I'm part Master Vigil (live your life as if today were what mattered most) and part Jensa (I'd like to believe in reincarnation).

I guess that makes me all Pah - at the end of the rainbow, I hope a group of friends, offspring, and acquaintances can remember the few good things I have done for as long as they can - then, when the last of them passes, I'll die as well.

Fatalistically,

TVOR

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
personally I don't know, I've never remembered dieing before. ;)

on a religious level I feel that my 'soul' will as my body breaks down join with Creator as I join creation. I will feed others and so I will become a part of thier lives and they will become a part of others and so ad infinitum.
The physical part of 'me' my atoms will exist as they have from the begining of the univerce till the end.
That is enough to keep me happy... anything more I will find out when the time comes. :cool:

wa:do

A

angellous_evangellous

As a Christian, my hope is in Jesus Christ.

However, since I have not died, I do not know. Let's make a deal: After death, for frubals I will post a thread here describing exactly what occurs, where I am and how I am doing. It will be a postcard from the great beyond.

may

The condition of the dead is made clear at Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10, where we read: "The dead know nothing . . . There is no pursuit, no plan, no knowledge or intelligence, within the grave." (Moffatt) Death, therefore, is a state of nonexistence. The psalmist wrote that when a person dies, "he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish."—Psalm 146:4.

So the dead are unconscious, inactive. When pronouncing sentence upon Adam, God stated: "Dust you are and to dust you will return." (Genesis 3:19) Before God formed him from the dust of the ground and gave him life, Adam did not exist. When he died, Adam returned to that state. His punishment was death—not a transfer to another realm.
but my hope from the bible, is the hope of a resurrection on to a paradise earth , just as the bible promises
Jesus Christ said: "The hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his [Jesus’] voice and come out." (John 5:28, 29) Yes, Jesus Christ promised that all those in Jehovah’s memory will be resurrected.

for the Bible promises: "There is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous."—Acts 24:15.