• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think God's reasons are for hiding himself?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
For so many people, it just seems like God isn't there. What do you think God's reasons are for hiding himself and demanding that people have faith, rather than just give everybody proof, and speak so that the ears can hear?

Nobody knows exactly, but you might have some helpful insights from your opinion about the matter.

I think it all comes down to the scripture, "without faith it is impossible to please God"... If we had proof and could hear him clearly, that would deprive us of the ability to have faith... And without it we can't please God.

Then the question is, why is it so important to have faith?

I guess I have to accept that that's just the way God is... Even if it does drive me nuts :confused:

Have you ever received a clear message from God?

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
If such a monotheistic god exists, I think it would hide itself to avoid worldwide death and destruction.

Think about it. There are hundreds of monotheistic faiths. If a god actually revealed evidence of its existence, each of them are going to take that as a sign that their faith, doctrines, and agenda is correct.

Cue a nightmare realm of theocracies, crusades, civil wars, religious purges, and inquisitions.

Last edited:

ProMultis

I think we probably misunderstand the nature of God. What if God is right under our noses? So bound up with everything going on that we don't "see Him" because we're expecting something different. I'm thinking about the people in Jerusalem who said, "Surely this Jesus isn't the Messiah because we know he came from. Everyone knows the Messiah will come out of the blue." When it comes to the divine, we are often expecting something attention-grabbing and mystical. But what if it's so hard to believe because God is just so "normal" and immanent in the world?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I have never received a message from him at all, and it wasn't from lack of listening.

Rather, it seems to me one must suspend one's knowledge of reality in order to believe in the existence of god; thus, faith.
It's sad that God leaves so many people feeling that way, but I understand why you do

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think we probably misunderstand the nature of God. What if God is right under our noses? So bound up with everything going on that we don't "see Him" because we're expecting something different. I'm thinking about the people in Jerusalem who said, "Surely this Jesus isn't the Messiah because we know he came from. Everyone knows the Messiah will come out of the blue." When it comes to the divine, we are often expecting something attention-grabbing and mystical. But what if it's so hard to believe because God is just so "normal" and immanent in the world?
All I know, is I've asked God many questions and I'm patiently waiting for the answers... Yes I can see God in creation... I've had coincidences and inspirations and dreams that I believe were from God... I've met people that I know God put in my life... But I've also been mistaken many times, believing I was hearing from God when I wasn't...

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
For so many people, it just seems like God isn't there. What do you think God's reasons are for hiding himself and demanding that people have faith, rather than just give everybody proof, and speak so that the ears can hear?
He is all around us, His signs evident both within ourselves and in Nature and the Cosmos.

This life is a test which would become null and pointless if GOD made Himself plainly clear to us.

Nobody knows exactly, but you might have some helpful insights from your opinion about the matter.

I think it all comes down to the scripture, "without faith it is impossible to please God"... If we had proof and could hear him clearly, that would deprive us of the ability to have faith... And without it we can't please God.
Yes in part this is correct. Some people just want to please Him, and that's it enough for them to obey His commandments. Others want to obey in the hope of obtaining Heaven. Yet others don't want to obey, but fear the Hell Fire so quietly go along with their religious duties. If Heaven and Hell were laid out for everyone to see, we would all strive for Heaven. I don't know about you, but I don't fancy the likes of Hitler as a neighbour for eternity.

Faith gives us hope of obtaining salvation, but even if you put all the evidence aside and there really was nothing but darkness after death, I would still have no regrets because:

Praying gives me inner peace and takes away any stresses.
Staying away from intoxicants and things that are harmful for my body means I will hopefully live longer and be healthy.
Fasting cleanses the body of harmful toxins and helps reset the body's system.
In fact all the guidance given is for my own benefit.

I guess I have to accept that that's just the way God is... Even if it does drive me nuts :confused:

GOD says make ablution, wear clean clothes, be sincere, raise your hands up and ask me what you want. Ask a question and open my Book, what you read is the speech of GOD and will give you the answers you seek. For example, not sure which job offer to accept? Pray and ask me to guide you, and I will make the right decision easy for you to follow. How that manifests itself is for GOD to reveal. You might come into contact with someone who works or has worked for that Company telling you horror stories and how they're desperate to find another Job. For a believer, this is from GOD, telling you to take the other Job offer.

WalterTrull

Godfella

ProMultis

All I know, is I've asked God many questions and I'm patiently waiting for the answers... Yes I can see God in creation... I've had coincidences and inspirations and dreams that I believe were from God... I've met people that I know God put in my life... But I've also been mistaken many times, believing I was hearing from God when I wasn't...

What if that's just not "God's thing" though? We bring expectations to God that are informed by our experience of relationships with other human persons. But if God is not a human person, then we can probably expect a different kind of interaction in our relationship with the divine. (Note I don't say less interaction, just different.) Maybe you're already hearing from God? :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Deut. 31:16-19
Good point to consider:
16 And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

18 And I will surely hide my face in that day
for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods.

19 Now therefore write ye this song for you, and teach it the children of Israel: put it in their mouths, that this song may be a witness for me against the children of Israel

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
I have never received a message from him at all, and it wasn't from lack of listening.

Rather, it seems to me one must suspend one's knowledge of reality in order to believe in the existence of god; thus, faith.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a non Arabic speaker, and we are taught those who read and understand the Qur'an in Arabic are rewarded for it, and the reward is double for those who struggle with the Arabic, like myself. I learnt a difficult to memorise verse, which was several lines in length. It took several days, and having repeated it several times I remember laying down to sleep having just put away the Qur'an and soon became aware of a beautiful scent coming from my mouth, it was so sweet and like nothing I had ever smelt before. I knew the scent was connected to the afterlife and it made me so happy knowing it was sign from GOD for having made the effort to memorise the verse. It may sound nonsensical or trivial, but I know what I experienced, as usually it's just the hint of mint from my tooth paste!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's a tendency to think of God as a being. I liked and saved this story:

A little boy wanted to meet God. He knew it was a long trip to where God lived,
so he packed his suitcase with Twinkies and a six-pack of Root Beer and he
started his journey.

When he had gone about three blocks, he met an elderly man. The man was
sitting in the park just feeding some pigeons.

The boy sat down next to him and opened his suitcase. He was about to take a
drink from his root beer when he noticed that the man looked hungry, so he
offered him a Twinkie.

The man gratefully accepted it and smiled at the boy. His smile was so
pleasant that the boy wanted to see it again, so he offered him a root
beer.

Again, the man smiled at him. The boy was delighted! They sat there all
afternoon eating and smiling, but they never said a word.

As it grew dark, the boy realized how tired he was and he got up to leave, but
before he had gone more than a few steps, he turned around, ran back to the
man, and gave him a hug. The man gave him his biggest smile ever.

When the boy opened the door to his own house a short time later, his mother
was surprised by the look of joy on his face. She asked him, "What did you do
today that made you so happy?

"He replied, "I had lunch with God." But before his mother could respond, he
added, "You know what? God's got the most beautiful smile I've ever seen!"

Meanwhile, the elderly man, also radiant with joy, returned to his home. His
son was stunned by the look of peace on his face and he asked," Dad, what did
you do today that made you so happy?"

He replied, "I ate Twinkies in the park with God." However, before his son
responded, he added," You know, he's much younger than I expected."

David T

Premium Member
Hiding in the open, isn't really hiding. It's a bit like a child asking why the Easter eggs are invisible.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Because its easy to love a parent who visible and easily proved.

But if you love Him, when He is hidden and not easily proved, it proves your love for Him. This is hard.

allfoak

Alchemist

Yes, I get clear messages all the time.
You must see and hear from the perspective of spirit
If you have not been born into spirit then you cannot see or hear other than from a carnal perspective.
It is all in the Bible to read for yourself.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

LOOK: The Bible is Not hidden. Do you know of anyone who has Not heard of the Bible.
God's people are Not hidden (Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8) and No one, No organization, No country can get rid of them.
I see No reason to Not put faith (confidence) in the 1st-century teachings of Christ as found in Scripture.
We do Not yet see the time of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth starting but because of ' faith ' in what Jesus taught we can see that millennial time as really coming.
Faith ( Not credulity ) gives us the confidence to know that when ' they ' (powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security " as per 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 that saying is just going to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among people of goodwill.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
LOOK: The Bible is Not hidden. Do you know of anyone who has Not heard of the Bible.
God's people are Not hidden (Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8) and No one, No organization, No country can get rid of them.
I see No reason to Not put faith (confidence) in the 1st-century teachings of Christ as found in Scripture.
We do Not yet see the time of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth starting but because of ' faith ' in what Jesus taught we can see that millennial time as really coming.
Faith ( Not credulity ) gives us the confidence to know that when ' they ' (powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security " as per 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 that saying is just going to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among people of goodwill.

Lots of books are not hidden. Just because a book is available for reading doesn't mean it's a valid source of non-fictional history.