• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think / feel when seeing this statue?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh? Disgust? I don't really like apes and other than that I find the statue unappealing.

Gargovic Malkav

My very first thought was something Shakespearean.
On closer inspection without reading the article, I was thinking of an alternate reality where apes virtually rule the world and see humans as their ancestors.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
It is asking questions, not answering them. It is not intended to be pretty or a decorators piece. It is intend to be seen and thought and talked about, preferably in. A public space. It is a work of art.
I get that.

I still don't like it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My first impression is that an ape cannot understand the world of humans but wishes to. He sits on books but can't read them. He contemplates a human skull but cannot understand the thoughts of a human.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think its cute.

(I know, not very profound. I haven't been awake very long.)

PureX

Veteran Member
Dear fellow RFers,

what do you think / feel when seeing this statue?

Affe mit Schädel - Wikipedia

(Came across a replica of this while browsing for Hindu god statues to buy.)
I think as a work of art it's 'overkill'. I also think the idea being presented is a bit trite. This kind of overt moralizing doesn't usually result in really great works of art. Art works better when the artist allows the viewer to fill in the idea in his own way, for himself, with whatever feels pertinent to him. The trick, though, is to present enough of the content, and in an interesting enough way, to invite the observer to want to do that. I feel like this artists didn't trust his observers to be smart enough to follow his moralizing on their own, so he stuffed the sculpture full of obvious 'clues' to make sure the observers wouldn't go off in their own direction.

Sadly, the mental meanderings his observers might have gone off in would probably have been more interesting than the moral 'one liner' the sculptor insisted everyone must observe. :)

Audie

Veteran Member
I think as a work of art it's 'overkill'. I also think the idea being presented is a bit trite. This kind of overt moralizing doesn't usually result in really great works of art. Art works better when the artist allows the viewer to fill in the idea in his own way, for himself, with whatever feels pertinent to him. The trick, though, is to present enough of the content, and in an interesting enough way, to invite the observer to want to do that. I feel like this artists didn't trust his observers to be smart enough to follow his moralizing on their own, so he stuffed the sculpture full of obvious 'clues' to make sure the observers wouldn't go off in their own direction.

Sadly, the mental meanderings his observers might have gone off in would probably have been more interesting than the moral 'one liner' the sculptor insisted everyone must observe. :)

Even creos figure creos aren't the sharpest
pencils in the box.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I quite agree with you, after some consideration (at very first glance, I intuited that there might be something profound, but as I looked closer it started feeling trite).

Daemon Sophic

I like it, and in my opinion it is a very good piece.
My first impression is that of Rodin’s The Thinker (with a twist).
Simultaneously, I feel the piece imparts the message “stay humble”, since we will undoubtedly be replaced one day.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Dear fellow RFers,

what do you think / feel when seeing this statue?

Affe mit Schädel - Wikipedia

(Came across a replica of this while browsing for Hindu god statues to buy.)

I like the sarcasm. Might even buy a replica.

Perhaps humans have become extinct and the ape is trying to figure out how they evolved from this.

81uIZArw8aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg