• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what do you think all of this "reality" thing is really about?

Kueid

Avant-garde
if you know what I mean..

I asked this in another thread but realized that I wanted to know what RF thinks about it.. so.. what's really going on?

ps: I'll not debate any topic, I just wanna know your answers.. for this "question" (?!)

buddhist

I asked this in another thread but realized that I wanted to know what RF thinks about it.. so.. what's really going on?

ps: I'll not debate any topic, I just wanna know your answers.. for this "question" (?!)
IMO, I liken "Reality" to a sort of video game called "Samsara".

The ultimate goal of this game is for us, the living players in this universal game, to identify the common thread which runs through all aspects of the game, and to conquer it in order to exit the game. The common thread being suffering itself, the "big boss".

Most people instead involve themselves with the lesser goals in the game (various manifestations or symptoms of suffering), which, when conquered, advance them into the next higher level in the game with additional abilities and powers, but not out of the game.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You already know the answers.

Kueid

Avant-garde
for those who are pretending ignorance of what was asked.. please leave
for those who are trying to be funny.. please leave
for those who have/will answer.. please stay, you have my gratitude

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

My serious answer is: I have no idea what "reality" is really all about. To me, it's a mystery, all a wonderful mystery...we can experience the mystery, celebrate the mystery, investigate the mystery, interpret the mystery, but we'll never completely understand the mystery. At least I expect I never will. Maybe one day I'll be surprised.

Aquitaine

Nope. Perhaps you should take responsibility for clearly communicating what you want to discuss.

Seemed pretty easy to comprehend from the title alone.

I honestly have no idea. Reality appears to be a sea of sensory phenomena that we're all slaved in to until we die. For what purpose - if any - I have no idea.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Reality is what it is. In my view there is objective reality, the reality we can both largely agree on (as in shared experiences) and then there is personal reality. The twain do not always meet though in a healthy psyche they do most of the time.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
what's really going on?
Consider the numberline, complex numbers and fractals. Observe that a fractal is a beautiful and infinitely complex image created by graphing a repetitive operation such as dividing a number repeatedly, thus partially revealing the number line. You can see some fractals in this 2 minute video: here
Now after that, consider that there is infinite complexity in simple order. Each number is a unique distance from 1, and between all numbers there exist many unique relations mixed in with some common relations. These relations are so complex and so unlimited, that is entirely possible that you and I and everything we think we 'See' is really part of the relations that exist in the infinite, infinite, infinite set of all relations. In other words, we are really part of the numberline (such as fractal representations of it). So what is really going on, in that case, is that we are witnessing a small part of all that is permanently stored in numbers themselves, which we are only partially able to comprehend. Also I think if that is the case, then we are unlikely to be the most complex beings. There are probably some beings who see things so much better that we are comparatively like dogs and cats, and then there are probably beings more complex than they are...and so on. Beauty probably has levels to it, things that are 'More beautiful' than we can perceive or 'More ugly'. Intelligence as we know it is probably almost nothing compared to what is out there somewhere. There may be no end to what is possible...or there may be a point at which complexity ceases, but complexity of number appears to have no end. There appears to be no end to the surprises which exist in numbers. Anyway here is a fun video (first of a series) which explores how large numbers can be and how to represent them on paper. Ridiculously Huge Numbers
Have fun exploring the universe.

Aquitaine

"... slaved in to until we die"

How very dramatic: so much grammatically challenged angst. :D

No angst is intended.
We are under the ownership of nature, we did not consent in to being born, ergo it is something we have been slaved in to. The only alternative to life is death.
I am not being dramatic, I think it's a fairly reasonable word to use.

I do love how you're being your usual self though: looking down whilst on that stallion of yours. :D

Burl

we did not consent in to being born
Given the alternative
images

Anyone would jump at the chance at being at being a slave mosquito or reptile.