• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about TV Evangalists?

ThisShouldMakeSense

I saw Benny Hinn on TV the other day and was quite interested in what he was doing. I know a lot of people think it's fake, but others swear that he has healed them. What do you think? Do you think he heals people by God's power or perhaps another power? Do you think he can heal people at all? Is he a fake?
Bye the way, i'd like to know what you think about faith healers in general. Benny Hinn is just one example that came to mind.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ThisShouldMakeSense said:
I saw Benny Hinn on TV the other day and was quite interested in what he was doing. I know a lot of people think it's fake, but others swear that he has healed them. What do you think? Do you think he heals people by God's power or perhaps another power? Do you think he can heal people at all? Is he a fake?
Bye the way, i'd like to know what you think about faith healers in general. Benny Hinn is just one example that came to mind.
It's a little difficult for me to answer, as although I have the ability to see TV Evangelists on Cable, I have never particularly wanted to do so.

The internet doesn't seem to like Benny Hinn - His only supporter seems to be his own web pages.

http://www.bible.ca/tongues-audio-video-documentation.htm Mmight give you some ideas of what is thought of TV Evangelists.:rolleyes:

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Benny Hinn is a scam artist...nothing more

Lycan

Preternatural
I think they are very smart people that utilize the media to sap blind followers of their money by praying on their weaknesses: need of religious validation and fear of hell.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Anything that brings people to God is not a bad thing. What ever they may be doing that goes against God, will be between them. But for me, if a non-believer, believes through these people, who are we to judge.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
EnhancedSpirit said:
Anything that brings people to God is not a bad thing. What ever they may be doing that goes against God, will be between them. But for me, if a non-believer, believes through these people, who are we to judge.
I can agree with you up to a point....the point at which the televangelist tells them they need to give up the rest of their money to continue to stay saved.;)

I just don't get a warm, fuzzy, God-inspired feeling from the uber-charismatic TV preachers. Maybe I'm just not trusting enough, but I kind of doubt it.:p

jimbob

The Celt
I can't stand them. They are loud and abnoxious and IN YOUR FACE (-_-) But i think MV and i agree that the farting preacher aint so bad:D

Melody

Do a few searches on the internet and at your library and Benny Hinn appears to be just one more scam artist.

I believe there truly are faith healers....but you won't find the on tv or in the national enquirer looking for publicity and dollars.

ayani

i think the messages of many TV preachers can be good ones- messages about the importance of forgiveness, prayer, service, etc.

the problem is that alot of these televangelists seem to cultivate these cult-like followings. there's all this hype built up around the personalities of these individuals that i don't think is healthy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Listen to Metallica's Leper Messiah. That is how I feel about televangalist. I will find lyrics and post them later.

SoliDeoGloria

Hank Hanengraaff wrote an excellent book titled "Christianity in Crisis" on this very issue that states how I feel about a vast majority of televangelists bettern than I ever could and I bet if you tried, you might be able to get it for free at http://www.equip.org

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I agree with the others about Benny the scam. About the only one I watch is Joel Osteen.

The Black Whirlwind

I saw this TV evangelist healer one time, and what he did was he called people up on stage that needed healing, called on the powers of god, and then pushed them down 'with the powers of god', and then they miraculously felt better. I think it was probably scripted though. What was really funny to see one time was when this woman went up, he tried to push her down, but she didn't fall at all, and he had to push really hard before she fell over. It was pretty funny.

Master Vigil

People harly ever hear about the many lawsuits by people who were "healed" and went home and were no longer "healed." Placebo effects, and scams.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
People harly ever hear about the many lawsuits by people who were "healed" and went home and were no longer "healed." Placebo effects, and scams.
I was going to say, from the few that I have seen, the 'cure' looks like it is based on mass hysteria from the audience and sheer dominance of the evangelist .:)

john313

warrior-poet
I completely believe in faith/spiritual healing, it can be faith in any "God" that can heal if one truly believes. I have read several scientific studies on it, and have seen it firsthand. I do not watch televangelists because i believe they are full of evil desires. i think if someone can actually perform spiritual healing, then they are usually more humble about it and they are not greedy because they are spiritual and nonmaterialistic.

Melody

jgallandt said:
I agree with the others about Benny the scam. About the only one I watch is Joel Osteen.
Aw JG....and I was just starting to like you. I like Joyce Meyers. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I find Osteen a bit...ummm....chauvinistic? :D

njcl

i trust none of them even billy graham if he is still alive,i once read an article of his where his female friend,a missionary was raped by bandits and he said such is the persecutions of christ,thats fine for him to say drinking tea in the whitehouse,sheesh