• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about this quote?

calm

Martin Luther once said:

"The Hebrew language is the very best and richest in words, and pure, does not beg, has its own color. [...] When I was younger, I wanted to learn this language, because without it, one can no longer properly understand the Scriptures. That's why they said rightly: The Hebrews drink out of the original spring, The Greeks drink out of the stream flowing out of the stream, The Latins, however, out of the puddle."
(WA TR 1, 524.21f., 525.15-20, see also WA TR 6, No. 6805)

Personally, I completely agree with Martin Luther. No one will ever fully understand the Bible unless they read it in Hebrew and Greek. The languages differ greatly, so anyone could understand a different interpretation and that is dangerous.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It goes deeper than that, even. Just knowing the language is only part of the picture. One must also know the cultural and historical context surrounding when a work was written. Think about all the slang we use these days. Ask yourself if someone even a hundred years ago would understand the nuances like we do. They wouldn't - the cultural context is different.

leov

Martin Luther once said:

"The Hebrew language is the very best and richest in words, and pure, does not beg, has its own color. [...] When I was younger, I wanted to learn this language, because without it, one can no longer properly understand the Scriptures. That's why they said rightly: The Hebrews drink out of the original spring, The Greeks drink out of the stream flowing out of the stream, The Latins, however, out of the puddle."

Personally, I completely agree with Martin Luther. No one will ever fully understand the Bible unless they read it in Hebrew and Greek. The languages differ greatly, so anyone could understand a different interpretation and that is dangerous.
Agree with that statement, it allows to enter limitless worlds.

shmogie

Martin Luther once said:

This is why a true student of the scriptures who does not understand these languages must use a variety of translations, and a good concordance, like Strongs. Still, further commentary from Hebrew or Koine Greek scholars may be needed.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Martin Luther never studied Sanskrit. :D Sanskrit has one of the largest vocabularies, with an obscene number of synonyms and ways to make a sentence, of just about any language. It can be either crystal clear, or a clear as mud, depending on the purpose. One professor of Sanskrit came up with 15 different ways to form the same sentence, all of them being grammatically correct and interchangeable, keeping the meaning intact.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No one will ever fully understand the Bible unless they read it in Hebrew and Greek. The languages differ greatly, so anyone could understand a different interpretation and that is dangerous.

That and the context of the times. What Paul is said to have said isn't what he said. He used Greek that was arcane even for that time. Translators filled in the gaps. It's not unlike how the geneticists in Jurassic Park filled in the dinosaur genome with frog DNA. Something gets lost in the translation.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Personally, I completely agree with Martin Luther. No one will ever fully understand the Bible unless they read it in Hebrew and Greek.

I agree, too. That would explain why there are still so many Christians around.

Ciao

- viole

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Martin Luther once said:

Agree to a certain extent. I would say that even being able to read the languages doesn't mean that someone will fully understand the Bible. It certainly helps but I think there are so many different influences involved with interpretation, such as agenda and selective proof texting, that there would still be debates about many things.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To add something else - we can ask what we mean by "fully understand." In my view, the power of storytelling is to relate stories to the now. Regardless of what the writers of a piece intended, living religions need to keep their narratives contemporary or they fade into irrelevance. So long as you can hear a tale and find meaning in it now, that's what matters when it comes to practicing a living religion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Martin Luther once said:

That would constitute an epic failure on behalf of God to publish a book as allegedly important as being the sole path to eternal life into a language spoken as rarely as Hebrew, and then judging the world for not understanding the Hebrew.

Besides, the Gospels say the word gives death but the Spirit gives life 2 Corinthians 3:6, so if this is true presumably having the power of the Holy Spirit is more essential than mastery of the original languages given that even those who understood the original languages still differ amongst themselves as to the correct interpretation of scripture.

Kind regards :)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
That would constitute an epic failure on behalf of God to publish a book as allegedly important as being the sole path to eternal life into a language spoken as rarely as Hebrew, and then judging the world for not understanding the Hebrew.

Besides, the Gospels say the word gives death but the Spirit gives life 2 Corinthians 3:6, so if this is true presumably having the power of the Holy Spirit is more essential than mastery of the original languages given that even those who understood the original languages still differ amongst themselves as to the correct interpretation of scripture.

Kind regards :)

Not only is Hebrew spoken rarely but the Hebrew spoken today isn't the Hebrew spoken in Old Testament times. Ancient Hebrew actually died out, being replaced by Aramaic and Greek. As far as I have researched.