• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about Pope Francis?

What do you think about Pope Francis?

• He's a great pope

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • He's a good pope

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • He's above average for a pope

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • He's an average pope

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • He's below average for a pope

• He's a bad pope

• He is among the worst popes ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The allegation is that while he was head of the Jesuits in Argentina, he identified communist priests to the dictatorship so that they could be arrested and imprisoned or killed.
He never bought into "liberation theology", which he considered too much the opposite of what Jesus taught so, yes, he did have issues with those Jesuits and some other clergy as well. I did hear of some allegations as you mention above, but I don't know if they're true either.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personally, I never considered PB to be evil, just that I didn't care for his ultra-conservative views that stymied reforms the church so desperately needed, imo. I think his age was a limiting factor, but I did admire his stepping down as pope.
What "ultra-conservative" views did he hold that Francis doesn't?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Much more to do with openness to other denominations for one whereas PF is much more open. Also, PF spends much more emphasis on the plight of the poor and the outreach towards non-European and North American countries. Plus PF is generally less dogmatic in terms of emphasis, not necessarily to the point of actually trying to change dogma itself. IOW, his emphasis is more humanitarian oriented, which is driving the conservative bishops to drink.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, he's managed to fool many liberals into thinking he's one of them or a significant change for the Church, despite holding the same old retrograde views on LGBT, women, birth control, etc. This might actually make him worse because this causes those issues to be pushed under the rader while the media fawns over him.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Ratzinger said, 'Nobody gives a @^*% about Jews and Palestinians even more." Ratzinger said, "Don't listen to Led Zepellin, ACDC or the Eagles." These are two things I don't see Pope Francis doing. When Pope Francis washed the feet of a gay man, I thought that was, as metis put it, a breath of fresh air. I also very much liked Pope Francis' call to help the poor and needy. I could go on and on, but what matters to me is that for the most part I just like what Pope Francis does.

Mark Dohle

He's the smiling, charismatic spokesperson put in place to give the Church a nicer, more modern spin without making substantial change.
The Pope can't cahnge central doctrines of the faith,or its moral principles, though insights can deepen ones undestanding of the struggle people have to go through that leads to deeper compassion......thlis Pope shows that.

pearl

However, I can't say that Benedict wouldn't have implemented the reforms if he had more time.

Benedict, (Joseph Ratzinger) has a long history at the Vatican. Known as the Vatican's Rottweiler he headed the CDF (former Holy Office). I think it would be difficult for one who was a part of the Curia for so long to clean it up.

Benedict envisioned a holier, more exclusive, even if smaller church. Francis' model of church is one of inclusivity. Benedict loved the pomp, Francis tolerates it.

Both of these powerful men are the product of their life experience. As a theological adviser to the cardinals at Vat II,
Ratzinger would have been consider a progressive by the ultra conservative curia. In the years following the Council Ratzinger
experienced the turmoil of the sixties, student revolt, Marxism etc.

Pope Francis experienced his 'dark night of the soul' in Cordoba Argentina.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/09/specials/pope-dark-night-of-the-soul/

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The big difference is that Francis does not condemn them, he invites them as all sinners. 'Who am I to judge?' When Francis was in DC he met with his close friend and the fellow's husband.
He still views homosexuality as sinful, is what the problem is there. He's not some big champion of gay rights. I do think he's an improvement over his predecessors, but that's ultimately not saying much.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I take it that, a sin is a sin is a sin is a sin, and we are all sinners, even as we seek to follow Jesus.
Viewing homosexuality as sinful at all is what is (rightfully) viewed as retrograde today. Even trying to place it as "just another sin" is still behind secular morality, which accepts it as not being a problem in of itself at all. Not that I view the Catholic Church as a moral arbiter at all.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But that is what the Bible says, so I really can't expect him to go against it.

Do I believe it's a sin? No-- but I ain't da Pope.
Which goes to show how little a supposed creator of the universe has to do with that book and that institution.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Pope is in the news.
And it's not good.
Pope shocks Chile by accusing sex abuse victims of slander
SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — Pope Francis accused victims of Chile’s most notorious pedophile of slander Thursday, an astonishing end to a visit meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic Church its credibility in the country.

Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Rev. Fernando Karadimas, such accusations against Barros are “all calumny.”

The pope’s remarks drew shock from Chileans and immediate rebuke from victims and their advocates. They noted the accusers were deemed credible enough by the Vatican that it sentenced Karadima to a lifetime of “penance and prayer” for his crimes in 2011. A Chilean judge also found the victims to be credible, saying that while she had to drop criminal charges against Karadima because too much time had passed, proof of his crimes wasn’t lacking.