• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about Pope Francis?

What do you think about Pope Francis?

• He's a great pope

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • He's a good pope

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • He's above average for a pope

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • He's an average pope

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • He's below average for a pope

• He's a bad pope

• He is among the worst popes ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

DavidFirth

Please vote and feel free to express your opinion about the pope.

I did not start this thread looking for a debate, but rather just to hear what everyone on here that cares to has to say about him.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As Popes go, he's great. He also seems pretty decent for a human.
As Popes go, the people who selected him are, for the most part, the same people who selected Benedict.

Doctrinally, I don't see Benedict and Francis as that different. The main differences I see:

- Francis is better at media relations and is more comfortable in front of a camera.
- Francis is better looking and Benedict is rather homely

I think those two facts alone contribute to a huge amount of the difference in perception of the two men. The media seems much more enamoured of Francis, so they're more inclined him to give him the benefit of the doubt and to interpret what he says in the nicest way possible (which generally prompts a bunch of Vatican PR people to say "no, no, that's not what he meant!" but this gets much less media interest than the original story).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh, I don't care. Irrelevant, as in what he or the church says or does is not binding on me spiritually.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me he's gone to a Biblical based view of Catholicism rather than a legalistic one. He seems to have taken 2 Corinthians 3:6 to heart for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

And he's done this without changing core Catholic beliefs but by giving them a different emphasis.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe he's a "good pope" and only time will tell if he's a "great pope". What I really like about him is his compassion for the poor and disenfranchised versus hyping p.c. dogma.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Meh, I don't care. Irrelevant, as in what he or the church says or does is not binding on me spiritually.
My main mentor over the last three decades has been Gandhi, and yet I'm not Hindu. IMO, one doesn't have to belong to the same religion to admire someone.

David1967

Premium Member
Please vote and feel free to express your opinion about the pope.

I did not start this thread looking for a debate, but rather just to hear what everyone on here that cares to has to say about him.

I voted other, because I am not Catholic and don't feel qualified to make a comparison between him and other Popes. But he seems like a kind compassionate individual. I like that.

David1967

Premium Member
My main mentor over the last three decades has been Gandhi, and yet I'm not Hindu. IMO, one doesn't have to belong to the same religion to admire someone.

Couldn't have said it better. Gandhi set a good humanitarian example regardless of the brand name he identified with.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
...IMO, one doesn't have to belong to the same religion to admire someone.

That's true. I like the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh and I'm not Buddhist. I mean it in his capacity when he speaks ex cathedra.