• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about other religions?

Do all the major religions..

• Teach spiritual virtues

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Teach good character

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Come from the same God

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

InvestigateTruth

Do you think religions can unite and accept each other. For example Jews accept Christ and Christians accept Muhammad. If not why not?
Hi,

If by "accepting", you mean, "believing", in my opinion, People cannot believe in someone that cannot see truth in Him. If a Christian does not see truth in Muhammad, then he cannot accept Muhammad, and that is not blameworthy.

I personally do not believe that will ever happen.

Uniting Religions, can happen in a sense that people learn to coexist together, accepting that everyone has a freedom of belief. It does not require them to believe in other religions in order to become united. For example, USA, is a Christian nation, or at least traditionally is a Christian nation. Israel is a Jewish nation also, although other people live there as well. But there is a political unity between Israel and USA.

AdamjEdgar

Jehovah's Witnesses understand the Bible says God does not accept interfaith. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Revelation 18:4
As is typical of JW theology, this is a gross misrepresentation and misinterpretation of scripture.

Neither of the two references you have quote have anything to do with Christian denominations...there were not even different Christian denominations when these passages were written! (2 Corinthians was written about A.D. 55 and Revelation about A.D 90-95)

2 Corinthians is talking about those who do not believe in Christ and the Gospel. That is nothing like your claim!

Revelation 18:4 is specifically talking about those non believers who are called out of Babylon...individuals who engage in abominable behaviour, evil vile acts of sin, those who place earthly gains in place of the Gospel...this again has nothing to do with religious denominations! The interpretation of Revelation 18:4 is very clearly given in vs 9

9Then the kings of the earth who committed sexual immorality and lived in luxury with her will weep and wail at the sight of the smoke rising from the fire that consumes her.

You really need to better understand your bible as you are adding errant and insufficient study of scripture and cross-referencing to develop very very poor theology!

Gods church is not JW, SDA, Catholic, Baptist or any other known denominational group. Gods people are solely those who meet the following criteria...

Revelation 14:12 Here is a call for the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Last edited:

AdamjEdgar

So I accept all the spiritual teachings of all religions very easily. So I am a Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Christian and Jew - a universal person.
I think that a distinction has to be made however, Christians are those who follow exclusively the Bible as their only source of authority. They do not give any other writing Divine inspiration. For this reason i think its not possible to reconcile groups who do not follow the Christian bible exclusively as fulfilling the statement in:

Rev 14: 12 Here is a call for the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

2 Cor 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
I think it would be the same for most religions who follow different philsophical origins and particularly different writings. For example, Muslims could not accept that those who do not convert to Islam are going to be saved. And this is quite literally because the Koran says they are not. My only defence against the Muslim view here is that the Bible pre-dates the Koran by thousands of years!

I know a few, but I think even mentioning them is borderline against the rules on this forum.
But we could generalize by saying that any fundamentalist or extreme groups are an example of this.

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Am I allowed, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses who identify as Christian?

Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Bible to be true, and thus that serves as a "measuring rod", since we believe it's God's word - the final say on God's view... and they wish to follow God's view, not their own opinion... or anyone else's.

Other religions equal other ways / forms of worship.
The Bible says God accepts only one form of worship - one faith. John 4:23-24; James 1:27; Ephesians 4:4-5

Jehovah's Witnesses understand the Bible says God does not accept interfaith. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Revelation 18:4

Jehovah's Witnesses are from all backgrounds, cultures, and ways of life, so they are familiar will all religions.

We have publications that discuss religious beliefs of all people, especially since we try to share the good news of peace with all people.
We studied, for example, "Mankind's Search for God", a publication considering the beliefs of various religions - Hindus, Shinto, Buddhism... to name a few.

Religion cannot unite, for the simple reason, that the source of all religion is not the true God - the God of order, and peace, but rather, the God of confusion - Satan the Devil.

This is the reason there are so many different religions all teaching different doctrines... even in the same "community".

Religion is a form of worship.
When God created the first human pair, there was only one acceptable way of worship to God.
The different forms of worship came about as men moved away from pure worship, and formed their own ways of worship. See the book of Genesis, along with Genesis 11.

Like a tree with many branches, religion spread over the whole earth, along with people.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they practice the pure worship as outlined by God, through his word, so that they do not practice a form of worship - religion.

The Devil is a liar, and spreads lies through religion - Revelation 12:9; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; 2 Thessalonians 2:9-1
This is his trump card, so to speak, to mislead masses away from God.
I think this is really important for others, especially for Baha'is to understand. It is compromising what the Scriptures of your religion say to "unite" and accept people from other religions. Now a liberal Christian wouldn't have a problem "compromising" some of the things taught in the Bible and NT for the sake of unity. But then when this is asked...

As a member of your faith, do you accept other religions are true or only your religion?
I know Baha'is believe they have the truth from God for today and believe that their teachings have replaced the teachings of all the other religions. So, can a Baha'i really accept the beliefs held by people in the other religions? Especially when Baha'is believe some of those teachings and doctrine are corrupted and not true.... like the belief of some Christians that Jesus is God.

So, will a Baha'i compromise some of their teachings for the sake of unity? Or do they expect that people in the other, "outdated" and possibly corrupted, religions to compromise some of their beliefs. An example for Baha'is would be their belief that homosexuality is wrong. Would they accept a religion that accepts gays as is and even has gay ministers and pastors?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Neither. There are many valid, constructive and true religions, but also many utterly false and destructive ones.

Even proper religions can be mispracticed.
Great point. Some religions should be called out for being destructive and false. Ironically, I think the Baha'is do call out the Ahmadiyya. Since their founder made essentially the same claim as the Baha'i founder. Probably both believe the other guy to be a lying imposter.

Ahmadiyya is an Islamic religious movement originating in 1889 in northern India around the teachings of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (1835–1908), who claimed to have been divinely appointed as both the promised Mahdi and Messiah expected by Muslims to appear towards the end times .
So what is the station of Baha’u’llah, who Baha’is revere as the latest in a long line of prophets and messengers? According to the Universal House of Justice, the supreme Baha’i administrative body, Baha’u’llah is “the Promised One of all ages,” “the Dawning Point of the Day of God, the ‘Day in which God’s most excellent favors have been poured out upon men.” – The Universal House of Justice, Letter to the Baha’is of the World, April, 1992.

The Baha’i teachings claim that Baha’u’llah’s station culminates and fulfills all the past religious revelations.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

The Baha’i teachings claim that Baha’u’llah’s station culminates and fulfills all the past religious revelations.​
Certainly explains why the Bahai are so interested in other religions. I know of no other faith with such interest in what others do. My faith, being one of the oldest says nothing at all about other religions, although some of the later swamis or Gurus do have to address it. But generally that stuff isn't considered scripture or part of general Hindu teachings.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Contrasting Ahmadiyya Islam with the Bahai Faith is a very informative exercise, not least because their reasons for existing are so similar.

I wish I had the education in Anthropology and Sociology and the opportunity that would enable me to better explore that contrast.

Even so, it is little surprise that traditions that attempt to at once preserve and renew Islam end up at odds with each other. Islam is to a very high degree indeed about establishing rules that ought to be followed without any significant degree of questioning or course-correcting.

It may well be actually impossible to care for the validity and worth of Islam without challenging it to the point of threatening its continued existence. Even Muhammad's closest companions seem to often have had a very hard time around each other - Ali and Umar come to mind.

What, if anything, that says about the validity of Islam itself and of its claim to being a religion is probably an exercise worth entertaining on a personal basis. But I fear that ultimately it all boils down to whether there is enough willingness to accept certain claims of authority out of a perception of duty.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I’m an omnist and find value in every religion. However, there are certain religions, and certain concepts in various religions, I value, and sometimes adapt into my own world view. I am a member of Earthseed but I am not just that. The overall idea of Earthseed I agree with completely, and isn’t hindered by unnecessary theological concepts that disagree with science.

So what do I think of OTHER religions? They’re not as valuable to me as Earthseed, but each of them contains core truths and value to them.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Hi,

If by "accepting", you mean, "believing", in my opinion, People cannot believe in someone that cannot see truth in Him. If a Christian does not see truth in Muhammad, then he cannot accept Muhammad, and that is not blameworthy.

I personally do not believe that will ever happen.

Uniting Religions, can happen in a sense that people learn to coexist together, accepting that everyone has a freedom of belief. It does not require them to believe in other religions in order to become united. For example, USA, is a Christian nation, or at least traditionally is a Christian nation. Israel is a Jewish nation also, although other people live there as well. But there is a political unity between Israel and USA.
That's an important thing to say coming from a Baha'i. And I agree with you. I don't think it can be expected for a believer in one religion to truly believe in the teachings of another religion. Because I do think they contradict.

Tolerating and accepting each other has been and is a big step, though. And even that is hard for some people, since some people that their religion is the truth, and all others are either outdated or false. And, to me, to really say that you accept them is kind of saying that their beliefs are just as good and valid as yours. And that's why I think it's hard for Baha'is to really mean it when they say they "accept" the other religions, because they don't see the others as really being equals. But Baha'is see theirs as the new truth, and the new religion for today. Which does supersede and outdate all other religions. Plus, Baha'is do say that most all the other religions have added in manmade doctrines and dogmas. And those can't be accepted as being true.

So, what can Baha'is really do and say about the other religions? Knowing that Baha'is believe that all people must turn to this new religion in order to bring peace and unity and the "oneness" of religion?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Certainly explains why the Bahai are so interested in other religions. I know of no other faith with such interest in what others do. My faith, being one of the oldest says nothing at all about other religions, although some of the later swamis or Gurus do have to address it. But generally that stuff isn't considered scripture or part of general Hindu teachings.
It seems like there are spiritual teachings that, when put into practice, move people closer towards being connected to a spiritual reality. Then there are teachings about a religion that tell people about what has happened in the past and why they should believe that particular religion.

As far as I know most all religions have those kinds of stories. They have their Gods and evil people or evil spirit-beings, and the good guys, the ones who stay true to their God or Gods, always win out in the end. But all those stories sound so mythical. Yet, especially in the Abrahamic religions, those stories tend to be believed very literally. Is that true in the Dharmic religions? Or is it less so? Like, with me, I read the story about Rama and how the evil guy kidnapped his wife. And that the captain of Rama's army, a monkey, jumped several miles to the island where she was being held captive. Not for a moment did I take the story literally. But I remember it being spiritually rewarding.

I know some people can do that with the Bible... see it as spiritual stories that have a spiritual message, but aren't literally true. But it seems too many Abrahamics put the stories as being real and neglect putting the spiritual teachings into practice. It makes the "right" beliefs as the main focus. And the most extreme expression of that is those that must believe that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant and literal word of God.

Are Baha'is doing the same with the writings of Baha'u'llah? They make them so important that they forget to be loving, respectful and accepting of other people in the other religions? Anyway, that's the best I could do at trying to put my thoughts into words. I hope you get what I'm trying to say. It like my version of what you say... "They are different paradigms."

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see all God given Faiths dawn and give light to this world via the Bounty of a God given Messenger, who has an impeccable character, clothed in virtus and offer they are of the One God to deliver a Message destined to bring about a new world, a new creation.

So for me, all Faiths are but One Faith, with a rainbow of Names and Attributes that guide our way.

I see that there is no bad to be found in any God given faith, but of what we make for our own selves.

So are we able to accept and unite without seeing the good in all Faiths? No I do not think so, as if we could, we would have done so.

I think we have to embrace the oneness of humanity before we can become motivated to look for the good in all Faiths, which in turn will enable us to embrace a unity in our diversity.

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Contrasting Ahmadiyya Islam with the Bahai Faith is a very informative exercise, not least because their reasons for existing are so similar.
Lots of good stuff here. Islam promised a Mahdi, Jesus, and a hidden Imam and here we've got them. But which one is telling the truth?

Even so, it is little surprise that traditions that attempt to at once preserve and renew Islam end up at odds with each other. Islam is to a very high degree indeed about establishing rules that ought to be followed without any significant degree of questioning or course-correcting.
Yes, establishing rules that are to be followed with little or no questioning is what I see in the Baha'i Faith. Once a person say, "I believe", they have obligated themselves to follow the Baha'i laws and moral teachings. But... have people ever been able to follow "God's" laws? And born-again Christians make that point. They believe that it is impossible for people to be perfect and follow the law exactly. So, that's why they needed Jesus to be their Savior from their sins. He, they believe, is the only one who could pay for their sins.

It may well be actually impossible to care for the validity and worth of Islam without challenging it to the point of threatening its continued existence.
And that's what I see, if believed, the Baha'i Faith makes Islam, and all other religions, obsolete.

What, if anything, that says about the validity of Islam itself and of its claim to being a religion is probably an exercise worth entertaining on a personal basis. But I fear that ultimately it all boils down to whether there is enough willingness to accept certain claims of authority out of a perception of duty.
For myself, I'm fine with believing all religions had their myths. Fictional stories that tell of how and why their religion came to be. But if the religion expects and depends on those stories to be believed to be true and literal, then, in this day and age, it creates a problem with believing and accepting their authority, since the religion is based on things that can't be shown and proven to be true.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I wish I had the education in Anthropology and Sociology and the opportunity that would enable me to better explore that contrast.

It may well be actually impossible to care for the validity and worth of Islam without challenging it to the point of threatening its continued existence. Even Muhammad's closest companions seem to often have had a very hard time around each other - Ali and Umar come to mind.

Have you seen what has been provided at this link?

Interaction with The People of Bahá: A response to Ahmadi Answers

It is in 4 short parts, the link is to the 3rd posting.

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I see all God given Faiths dawn and give light to this world via the Bounty of a God given Messenger, who has an impeccable character, clothed in virtus and offer they are of the One God to deliver a Message destined to bring about a new world, a new creation.
As you know, that is one of the things I disagree with. Adam, Noah, Abraham and even Moses did not have "impeccable" characters. Some, maybe all, were very possibly mythical people based on legends.

Now is theory, I can see how all religions helped move human civilization forward. But religion also got in the way sometimes and was a roadblock to civilization moving forward. Even now, with a religion as new as the Baha'i Faith, some of us are already questioning its rules and beliefs... like with the Baha'i Faith saying that homosexuality is wrong and evil and an abomination. Modern society is moving on and working towards accepting them. If the Baha'i Faith had its way, homosexuals would be forced back into the closet. Of course, if the Baha'i Faith is from an all-knowing God, then you are right and modern society is wrong. But, then again, has any religion banning or forbidding any sexual behavior ever really worked?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As you know, that is one of the things I disagree with. Adam, Noah, Abraham and even Moses did not have "impeccable" characters. Some, maybe all, were very possibly mythical people based on legends.

Now is theory, I can see how all religions helped move human civilization forward. But religion also got in the way sometimes and was a roadblock to civilization moving forward. Even now, with a religion as new as the Baha'i Faith, some of us are already questioning its rules and beliefs... like with the Baha'i Faith saying that homosexuality is wrong and evil and an abomination. Modern society is moving on and working towards accepting them. If the Baha'i Faith had its way, homosexuals would be forced back into the closet. Of course, if the Baha'i Faith is from an all-knowing God, then you are right and modern society is wrong. But, then again, has any religion banning or forbidding any sexual behavior ever really worked?

Progressive Revelation CG.

It is way too easy to weigh the past with our own current frames of references. To do so, is a monumental error IMHO.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the Baha'i Faith had its way, homosexuals would be forced back into the closet.

That needs correct context.

All sexual relationships, outside marriage between a man and women, is against Baha'i Law.

One has to consider how crucial a strong family unit, inclusive of a mother and father, is for the development and future of humanity.

We now have lots of data as to what happens when the strength of the family unit is compromised.

Regards Tony