• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about ''interest-based advertising?''

Do you like ''interest based advertising?''

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deidre

If I have to see advertising to view a website, I'm okay with that. somebody has to get paid for their work, after all. I do not like pop-ups that cover the screen. If you have something I might want, and that is your method of presenting it to me, then you just lost the sale.

I do find it quite funny that when you type in a search string on Google, you will always end up with several items in the list of sites offering you a "deal" on what you typed in.
For instance, if you type in "mutilated bodies", you will inevitably get results telling you that you can get the best deals on mutilated bodies at Amazon, or the best selection of mutilated bodies on Ebay.
No way :D

I might have to test this. lol

Milton Platt

No way :D

I might have to test this. lol

Yes, way! LOL Do try it......

Edit: Google seems to have fixed the problem. I just tried it and didn't get the ad results. There goes my entertainment for the evening....

Edit: Well, if you try a few weird items, the ads finally start appearing. I typed in "excrement" and got this ad:
Excrement Sold Direct on eBay - Fantastic Prices on Excrement
Adwww.ebay.com

and this:
Check Deals on Excrement - The Best Prices on PicClick
Adpicclick.com/Excrement

Type in crack to get this:
Buy Crack: B&H
AdBHPhotoVideo.com/crack

Last edited:

Deidre

Yes, way! LOL Do try it......

Edit: Google seems to have fixed the problem. I just tried it and didn't get the ad results. There goes my entertainment for the evening....

Edit: Well, if you try a few weird items, the ads finally start appearing. I typed in "excrement" and got this ad:
Excrement Sold Direct on eBay - Fantastic Prices on Excrement
Adwww.ebay.com

and this:
Check Deals on Excrement - The Best Prices on PicClick
Adpicclick.com/Excrement
I long for the day, when I can think something, and chrome fetches it for me...

Maybe I should be careful what I wish for, eh? :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If I go to Amazon or another site I buy things from, having them show me "if you liked that, you'll like this" advertising is fine.
I've found that "people have also bought" to be helpful. And if you like or dislike something on their system, on your own volition, that's not too bad. But when every class you just looked up while registering for classes show up as ads on Facebook, things have gone too far (it caused me to shut my account down, though I later reactivated it for the messenger app).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've found that "people have also bought" to be helpful. And if you like or dislike something on their system, on your own volition, that's not too bad. But when every class you just looked up while registering for classes show up as ads on Facebook, things have gone too far (it caused me to shut my account down, though I later reactivated it for the messenger app).
I run ad block on many sites, not this. But I do on facebook. No annoying ads.

On this one if I want to see certain products I visit those on my own first.

Flame

Beware
I'd like to see some regulatory measures taken. Honestly advertising has just gone too far over the line when it comes to people's privacy and security. It needs to be reigned in considerably .

I made the mistake of shopping for boots without extensions one day. I came back a few hours later and had ads for dozens of boots and sale sites.