• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about apparitions?

ThisShouldMakeSense

I'd like to know what people think about visions of saints or the virgin Mary on walls, windows etc, etc. I think that it's sad that people think they mean anything. i mean take the one about someone buying a piece of toast on Ebay cos it was burned and looked like the virgin many...anyway, what do you think?

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
ThisShouldMakeSense said:
I'd like to know what people think about visions of saints or the virgin Mary on walls, windows etc, etc. I think that it's sad that people think they mean anything. i mean take the one about someone buying a piece of toast on Ebay cos it was burned and looked like the virgin many...anyway, what do you think?

Hi TSMS..Since I am sitting here at the libary coz my computer has crashed and The fact I dont have my bible with me at hand, so for now I can't quote from Scripture but I do believe that we are warned about the devils work showing many signs that would decieve even the Elect ? So my answer would have to be No I don't believe in these signs that are apparently from God.. :)

Uncertaindrummer

There are many fasle apparitions but there are legitimate ones. The ones I personally believe as legitimate are Bernadette at Lourdes, the children at Fatima, and the visions at Medjugorie. I am sure there are other I would believe happened but these three are the ones which I have studied.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Do keep in mind that no catholic is bound to believe in private revelation and it's also important to note that any private revelation in which contradicts the Church teaching is to deffinately be disregarded. I agree with Uncertaindrummer; many apparitions are odd and I personally don't believe in many of them.

The Least
~Victor

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think most of them are from spirits playing a prank. I think ones that are of significant meaning are only visible for those thier intended to be seen by.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I hate to sound totally grounded and boring, but I think most of them are seen by some as a type of 'wish' to see them. There is a part of the brain totally devoted to recognizing a set of shapes and translating them into 'possibles' - that is especially true in the case of recognizing faces.:)

Quiddity

michel said:
I hate to sound totally grounded and boring, but I think most of them are seen by some as a type of 'wish' to see them. There is a part of the brain totally devoted to recognizing a set of shapes and translating them into 'possibles' - that is especially true in the case of recognizing faces.:)
True. Although I personally wouldn't go to the extent of disregarding all of them as hoax. That's just me.

~Victor

Stormygale

Many of these 'sightings' are purely people wanting to get their name and face in the spotlight for a few moments. They see it as a way into perhaps the 'media' on the grounds that 'God placed it here in my house, in my oven' LOL' so I must be somebody. The droves of people who go and see these 'items' are purely being taken advantage of. They are often the people who 'seek a sign' and someone yelling "I have found it!!" draws them.

Stormygale

Stormygale said:
Many of these 'sightings' are purely people wanting to get their name and face in the spotlight for a few moments. They see it as a way into perhaps the 'media' on the grounds that 'God placed it here in my house, in my oven' LOL' so I must be somebody. The droves of people who go and see these 'items' are purely being taken advantage of. They are often the people who 'seek a sign' and someone yelling "I have found it!!" draws them.
Sorry about the double post, but, I had another thought that I forgot to mention in the previous post.
-
God I would think is a much greater Being than to simply waste his time in placing his face in a piece of burnt toast.
~Stormy

Quiddity

Stormygale said:
Sorry about the double post, but, I had another thought that I forgot to mention in the previous post.
-
God I would think is a much greater Being than to simply waste his time in placing his face in a piece of burnt toast.
~Stormy
I agree to an extent, but how exactly would that be wasting His time? Would that not introduce more "belief" and "hope" into the world?

~Victor

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I don't think the vast majority of these things are anything more than hoaxes. If God wants to get believers, he can start with actual miracles, not making faces appear on doors and in toast.

Dayv

I think they're all bogus. like michel said, people see what they want to see. The goddess has no reason to impress people, especially with such shallow methods. I don't see why she should care at all whether people believe in her or not. What Victor said kinda bugs me, too. It kinda seems like a check to make sure no one figures anything out for themselves, keeping the papal in power.

Uncertaindrummer

Well I don't see why that bugs you, the Catholic Church believes the Pope has total leadership of the Church on Earth, guided by the Holy Spirit. But in reality, it is a whole ton of investigators and panels and queries which decide whether a revelation is fit to be believed, not only the Pope. And even THEN, we are not recquired to believe in them.

Also, I think it makes sense that God would care if we believed in Him or not. If you created an entire universe for the sole purpose of peopel coming to know you, wouldn't you be pissed off if someone said "Meh, God doesn't exist, or if He does, He doesn't care if I care"?

Quiddity

I think they're all bogus. like michel said, people see what they want to see.
Don't count yourself out here..;)

It kinda seems like a check to make sure no one figures anything out for themselves, keeping the papal in power.
How did you extract that from what I said?:confused:

~Victor

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
I don't think the vast majority of these things are anything more than hoaxes. If God wants to get believers, he can start with actual miracles, not making faces appear on doors and in toast.
awwwww - what's toast done to you, to deserve such a lowly appeal?:biglaugh:

Dayv

creating an entire universe just so that people will worship you sounds a little shallow (actually very shallow). I don't think an omnipotent being should really be conserned about its popularity. If 'god' really does care about whether I like him or not, I kinda hope it does anger him.

Victor, why do you need someone else (or a council of people) to tell you how to believe? Can't you figure things out for yourself? What makes these people more apt to the truth than yourself?

Scott1

Dayv said:
If 'god' really does care about whether I like him or not, I kinda hope it does anger him.
Ahhh, that's sweet..... but some of us look for more out of life.
Victor, why do you need someone else (or a council of people) to tell you how to believe? Can't you figure things out for yourself? What makes these people more apt to the truth than yourself?
No one tells me what to believe.... and I do believe Victor is the same way... what makes you think that we haven't "figured things out" for ourselves?

Dayv

You go to church to listen to the priest telling you how to believe, your church chose which books were the 'right ones,' you have a pope and cardinals to decide what's right and wrong.

Ahhh, that's sweet..... but some of us look for more out of life.
I don't get this. I didn't say I was out to make 'god' mad, I was just saying I don't think he cares if I care. I don't get the comment.:confused:

Scott1

Dayv said:
You go to church to listen to the priest telling you how to believe, your church chose which books were the 'right ones,' you have a pope and cardinals to decide what's right and wrong.

You seem to think you know a lot about me :confused: ... instead of making pronouncements, you might want to ask a few questions.

No Priest tells me what to believe.... I read several books, and I don't need the Bible for my salvation..... and the Pope and Cardinals don't decide a thing for me.

I love people who think they know it all.... peace be with you.:D