• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you pray for?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
(my first real thread here, hope I picked the right place)

What do you pray for?

Seems simple enough, and it's probably no wonder what would be the most common answer.

World Peace

But, how? Just 'World Peace' like G-d should wave a magic wand and abracadabra PEACE?

Or, do you have a specific request to achieve such a peace? I do, a couple in fact.

It pains me that I don't have more. I might even share one of them, the less personal one.

Because dear reader, if things go on the way they are, we may not survive as a species.

Oh, but you might cry - what about all of G-d's Promises? Prophecies? Aren't we His children??

To that I say, ALL conditional. Now, we know. We KNOW just how small we actually are, how insignificant.

How many billions of galaxies? containing how many trillions of habitable worlds? ...millions of Adams??

Across Time itself, past - present - future ... forget the numbers, we have no reference.

Untold numbers of petri dishes, all experiments in His purpose? What purpose... a different topic...

There's every sign that we are a failed experiment; our petri dish has been set aside.

Do you know the story of penicillin?

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

What do you pray for?

Seems simple enough, and it's probably no wonder what would be the most common answer.

World Peace

But, how? Just 'World Peace' like G-d should wave a magic wand and abracadabra PEACE?

Or, do you have a specific request to achieve such a peace? I do, a couple in fact.

It pains me that I don't have more. I might even share one of them, the less personal one.

Because dear reader, if things go on the way they are, we may not survive as a species.

Oh, but you might cry - what about all of G-d's Promises? Prophecies? Aren't we His children??

To that I say, ALL conditional. Now, we know. We KNOW just how small we actually are, how insignificant.

How many billions of galaxies? containing how many trillions of habitable worlds? ...millions of Adams??

Across Time itself, past - present - future ... forget the numbers, we have no reference.

Untold numbers of petri dishes, all experiments in His purpose? What purpose... a different topic...

There's every sign that we are a failed experiment; our petri dish has been set aside.

Praying for inner wisdom as a sufi. Love and kindness for all humans.

Lain

What do you pray for?

World Peace

I don't think they are conditional or that we have failed, nothing is new under the Sun says the Preacher. I think it is rather unbecoming for God to fail. Neither do I think that we are insignificant, but rather are the crowning point of creation. Such is my opinion.

As for what I pray for, I wrote down my current prayer requests (so that at the first prayers of the day I could make my intentions for them) so I'll just post that:

"For the tears of true contrition, the grace to truly repent, a true change of heart. For the grace to go to Confession and Mass and to receive the Eucharist, knowledge of the true Church, knowledge of Yourself [Lord]. For the grace to possess all of the virtues especially Temperance and Fortitude. For the grace to pray the Psalms and to resort to You [Lord] in trials and in all I need. For the grace to of gratitude for all things. For the grace to walk in the exceedingly broad Commandments of the Gospel. For knowledge of my own heart.

"For my mother and father to be healed, protected, and saved. For my cousins and their peace, for my family and their salvation. For all the dead to be saved especially those closest to me by blood or location.

"For the Pope and that his intentions will be done in the world, for my priest, my old priest, my Bishop and other Hierarchs, and my godparents, that they may all be saved as well. That all of my teachers would be saved.

"For all I meet or speak with in life so that I may be at peace with them. For the grace to forgiven all of my enemies superabundantly so that I may be forgiven superabundantly.

"For peace in the world, the conversion of my nation and the whole world, salvation for the poor, mercy for all the disabled and especially the autistic and the blind, that suicides be saved, may those isolated from humanity be filled with Your presence, may the children who have been cast out [taken in the sense of orphans, foster children, the adopted, those abused] be taken up by You, may those falsely imprisoned and set for murder be freed, that the holy souls in purgatory be delivered, and the end of abortion."

"May the Blessed Virgin Mary pray for me and with me [with me in all of the above intentions], may St. Joseph the Guardian of the Holy Family and Patron of the Church pray for me and with me, may King David the Prophet pray for me and with me, may King Solomon the Wise pray for me and with me, may St. John of Damascus pray for me and with me, may St. Alphonsus pray for me and with me, may St. Dimitri Staniloae pray for me and with me. May my guardian angel and the holy souls pray for me and with me."

These are just what I am currently focusing on in my prayer concerning personal requests beyond what is requested in the Psalms or Our Father, etc. The Saints that I invoke change over time, as do my particular requests, although some things stay pretty solid like praying for my parents, the Pope, etc. These are my current prayer requests.

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

What do you pray for?

World Peace

Dear Sedim Haba,

I pray for guidance and that I be in the correct frame of mind to receive it and understand it, so that I may act accordingly.
I pray that others have this too; especially those in power. I pray for this every day and despite all that happens, I have faith in prayer.

My Scripture speaks of Man needing to learn not to covet. I feel this applies to not coveting his temporary state as human being too. For Man is more than the body he lives in; he is first and foremost spirit and soul.

If the human race is extinct before Man has grasped what he must grasp of worldliness, I trust that he will do so by experiencing existence through a different manifestation.

Humbly
Hermit

amorphous_constellation

The word that pops into my mind is Harmony, but I'm not sure how you might differentiate that from Peace, or if it is useful to

It seems to me, in listening this old coast to coast episode, that a chain reaction nuclear war probably could take out humanity in about 20 minutes, and I don't think that makes a very nice story.

The card in Marseilles tarot that I was just looking at, is the Chariot.

The figure may represents maturity and stoicism, but combines these with real optimism, about the human story

Maybe the figure represents what the leaders could use, what we all could use

They are not going to war, but they station a command of synthesis, requiring vigilance to face the opposites

The human figure in the scene is surrounded by only objects of raw power, but rises to command them, instead of being trapped

The figure knows and ride on the stakes, of what it means to fly the human flag on the earth

The figure orders the energies, and puts them harmony

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
My family, friends, Beau, and cat, mostly.

Sometimes, as most, I put in specific requests for folks.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I mostly just say thank you for the gift of life as a human being. Occasionally I ask for an awake and open spirit to the day. And occasionally for help to humanity, or to sone specific person I see in the course of the day.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What do you pray for?
I am an atheist, so no God, no prayers.
I am surprised by the failure of a all-knowing, all-powerful, wise and merciful God.
Do you think every failed experiment results into Penicillin? Then why did God have to flood the world at one time?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've posted this before:

May the Light of (God's) Silence break in every heart
Let there be peace and love among all beings of the universe"

(and)

Beloved God, help us all to love You more and more,
and more and more and still yet more,
till we become worthy of Union with You;
and help us all to hold fast to Baba's daaman till the very end.

(Baba - Meher Baba. "daaman" hem of garment signifying the attitude of a little child who holds on to her mother's skirt)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What do you pray for?
World Peace
Or, do you have a specific request to achieve such a peace? I do, a couple in fact..................

I find God does Not use a magic wand but because man can't direct his step towards World Peace is why God will have Jesus step in to usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
Jesus had a specific request to achieve World Peace by asking us to pray for God's Kingdom to come.
(Thy kingdom come - Matthew 6:9-10; Matthew 24:14) God's kingdom government as found at Daniel 2:44.

Before Jesus steps in, as described at Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15, the powers in charge as described at 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 will be saying, " Peace and Security..." but that rosy saying will first prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14,9 before there will be Peace on Earth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I am an atheist, so no God, no prayers.
I am surprised by the failure of a all-knowing, all-powerful, wise and merciful God.
Do you think every failed experiment results into Penicillin? Then why did God have to flood the world at one time?
I find the answer as to why the Flood (?) is found at Genesis 6:11 it was the ' violence ' that filled the Earth.
In other words, those violence-filled people would have killed off all righteous people on Earth.
It got so bad to the point that only Noah and family were left on Earth.
The Flood thus saved Noah and because of Noah we are here today.
Through Noah, God's purpose to have the Earth filled only with righteous people gives us the opportunity today.
So, to me it is Not God's failure, but man's failure by man dominating man to man's hurt, man's injury.
The passing of time was needed for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
Mankind's history has now shown that man can't successfully govern himself. (2 Timothy 3: 1-5,13)
Today's world conditions governed by man is why we are in the last days of badness on Earth before God will have Jesus step in.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really pray for anything...

I like to talk to Krishna and Shiva. So I do. I talk to them a lot. I don't often ask for much, I just chatter on, and tell them stuff I feel like telling them. Occasionally, when my husband is late to work, and I can hear his car go tearing down the road, I ask for one or the other to keep him safe on his drive, but that is typically about it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

What do you pray for?

World Peace

I pray mostly for clarity of mind, and more will power to be able to do what I want to do.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

No. The story of Penicillin is an abandoned experiment that proved to be the most valuable
discovery in medicine at the time despite being initially thought of as a failure. A fluke indeed.

Oh, that we could be like that. But we would need be as much a fluke as that.

Because It doesn't look very good for us as-is. You can call me a pessimist.

There is a tale from our sages that G-d created the universe six times before.

This is the seventh version. Hence the significance of seven in Torah.

So failure IS an option. If Noah was not there, the flood would happen regardless.

(Personally, I believe the flood to be a regional but traumatic event for those who endured it)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is the seventh version. Hence the significance of seven in Torah.
(Personally, I believe the flood to be a regional but traumatic event for those who endured it)
I think the sages were right. That tells you of the expertise of God in creating the world. Would you give a seventh chance to an architect or a builder who failed to construct your house well in six earlier instances? And he did a hurried job in the seventh. Made the world in six days. The result is apparent. He had to flood the world once, killing nearly all creatures and destroying all vegetation (only eight of Noah's family survived). Then he had to send his assistants (prophets/son/messenger/manifestation/mahdi) and the world is still not perfect.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I don't really pray for anything...

Same here. Supplicatory prayer is not what I usually do. Most of the time, I simply trust that Bhagavān 'acts' in whatever ways he does for his worshippers, and that whatever he does is beneficial and more than wise.

I like to talk to Krishna and Shiva. So I do. I talk to them a lot. I don't often ask for much, I just chatter on, and tell them stuff I feel like telling them.

I've felt that chattering to Bhagavān would be helpful in several ways. It's not something I normally do, but it feels good to do it, so I think I will give it more of a try.

I ask for one or the other to keep him safe on his drive, but that is typically about it.

I personally find that supplicatory prayers for safety are the most natural ones to make.

Interesting! Is there a particular work that the said tale is recorded in?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Did this violence come with the permission of God or without his knowledge?
Long before Genesis 6:11 we find the account about Cain killing his brother Abel.
Violence entered into the world because of Adam and Eve disobeying God.
Since we are all to be descendants from fallen father Adam and mother Eve then the passing of time would be needed for us to be born, populate the Earth and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
So, sure, God warned Cain, so God had knowledge of what could happen. Cain did Not listen.
That pattern of Not listening, as we know, is still going on today - 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13
And since we are in the last days of badness on Earth all violence will come to an end.
The ' sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth ' will rid the Earth of the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15