• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you miss most from pre-Covid times?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Pre-Covid? I don't actually miss this, because I've spent my life improving every now and then my meager ability to update my take on reality, but if I were to miss something, it might be my idea that enough people in a representative democracy could be shocked by something into taking an interest in what's going on. i.e. propaganda had not yet been scientifically refined beyond that point.

But I only miss that, if at all, in the sense of 'Water under the bridge. What to do next.'

Maybe my real 'missing' after the past year goes something like this, as an example of it: When I referred to 'my meager ability', doubtless some people took that as some kind of modesty, false or true. To me, that was realism, based on all that I've learned on both the nuts and bolts levels, and the map or theory and model level of what is universal human nature.

There is not currently any reasons left in the neurosciences that stand in the way of the overwhelming evidence for the emerging model of human brains as DNA-fated, intrinsically self-delusional, tools for navigating any kind of empirical reality on the more less basis of 'pick between the delusions you have stored in you for your choices how to see reality at this particular moment'.

The model makes so much sense to me of what's going on in America today -- and the world.

If I miss anything now, I miss something like an expectation that where I to dig into why so many of us don't see anyone saying something like,'my meager ability' in a way that they might find it a realistic statement of fact, that I would find something encouraging about human nature. Today, I can't honestly doubt that behavior easily ties into the model of our brains as essentially delusion.

I find a few things about us every now and then that are genuinely encouraging still, but nothing worth hoping on.

I'm certainly not saying we are any better or worse animals than we've always been. Far and from that!

I'm saying we have somehow landed in the middle or beginning of some kind of 'perfect storm' that hits us in so many ways that exploit how we are made vulnerable by out own universal human nature.

It's actually been fascinating to me how that notion of 'self-defeat by your own nature' is the core idea in the ancient Athenian's 'tragic worldview'.

For one thing, that worldview evolved out of the insights their poets had about human nature. Obviously no scientific method, no brain scan technologies, nothing like what we have used to, in a way, arrive at the 'same' view.

Only the poets did it with naked, constantly self-deluding brains. That's realism, projected here through the lens of optimism. At least, that's 'optimism' how I do it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I miss not being able to get a vet appointment for my cats when I need it.
I miss not being able to get a counseling appointment when I need it.
I don't miss going into the office where everyone but me is smiling ear to ear.
I don't miss the heavier traffic.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I understand, but she is still alive isn't she, and won't she recover eventually?
Just the fact that she is alive is something to celebrate, Imo.
I was so worried for you and her during that time. :(

She is and improving, but I'm pessimistic and worried about the long term implications of this virus, considering many symptoms appear neurologic in origin.

I appreciate the support and sympathies @Trailblazer .

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Someday when it's not covidland anymore you should fly up and join me for gamestorm. Medium sized Portland con that's centered on tabletop, board games and larp.
I might. I miss larping so much, and never pass on an opportunity to dress up.:D
Might need some new makeup though, as where I LARPed the makeup requirements for Dark Elves was basically black nail polish, black eye shadow around the eyes, and black whatever else design on the rest of the face to signal Dark Elf (or blue for Moon Elf, Green for Wood Elf (and just ears for a plain Elf)), and some players put in the effort into the makeup to make an impressive and interesting designs (I had from ears to eyes a black line and "fangs" to resembles wolf's teeth). So I might go a dark grey, like the Dark Elves from Elder Scrolls. I also have to get some new ear rings for my prosthetic ears.
But, unfortunately, I have considered giving up Dark Elf entirely based on makeup requirements, because when it's "all exposed skin" that has to be covered then makeup becomes are lengthy chore and a struggle to not sweat it off before game on, only to have it smear all over everything in summer games, drip-drop from sweat all over the place, and look like crap before too long. I could probably do long sleeves here in summer games without the humidity, but even alcohol makeup I have found to be a pain.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I might. I miss larping so much, and never pass on an opportunity to dress up.:D
Might need some new makeup though, as where I LARPed the makeup requirements for Dark Elves was basically black nail polish, black eye shadow around the eyes, and black whatever else design on the rest of the face to signal Dark Elf (or blue for Moon Elf, Green for Wood Elf (and just ears for a plain Elf)), and some players put in the effort into the makeup to make an impressive and interesting designs (I had from ears to eyes a black line and "fangs" to resembles wolf's teeth). So I might go a dark grey, like the Dark Elves from Elder Scrolls. I also have to get some new ear rings for my prosthetic ears.
But, unfortunately, I have considered giving up Dark Elf entirely based on makeup requirements, because when it's "all exposed skin" that has to be covered then makeup becomes are lengthy chore and a struggle to not sweat it off before game on, only to have it smear all over everything in summer games, drip-drop from sweat all over the place, and look like crap before too long. I could probably do long sleeves here in summer games without the humidity, but even alcohol makeup I have found to be a pain.
Oregon larping in my (limited) experience is often times much less makeup dependent due to the prolific amounts of rain. You have more indoor events or more woodland furs and capes sort of characters.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You know, I've never actually tried any of that; larping, cosplay. It sounds super fun. Dark elves would be my favourite too :D.
You really have to. Cosplay on its own can be fun, but LARP is so much fun it makes Elder Scroll games seem intolerably boring and dull by comparison (and indeed, I quit playing them the couple years I was LARPing because LARP ruined it for me). Getting to play a character in a fantasy world, acting things out (you have to RP everything, including pick pocketing), a weekend in the woods (where I played, anyways), and just about everyone there is a nerd.
I also noticed where I LARPed (basically a stone's throw away from Michigan), it was very LGBT friendly with probably at least a quarter of the players there being some letter there. So much so, that the in-game faction I belonged to, out of the dozen members there was one of us who hadn't had sex with the same sex and has no interest in it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
She is and improving, but I'm pessimistic and worried about the long term implications of this virus, considering many symptoms appear neurologic in origin.

I appreciate the support and sympathies @Trailblazer .
Thanks for filling me in on her condition. I consider you my friend and neighbor in more way than one, and by sharing you are helping people like me who are on the fence about the vaccine to jump over that fence so you could be saving lives.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oregon larping in my (limited) experience is often times much less makeup dependent due to the prolific amounts of rain. You have more indoor events or more woodland furs and capes sort of characters.
I LARPed in Indiana. I have a fur cloak to stay warm in the winter, a polar fleece cloak to stay warm and dry in the spring and warm during the fall, and a "bedsheet thin" cloak to keep the sun off my skin and ward off the summer's chill, lmao.*
*And also a leather trench coat and and thick cotton jacket for winter games. My first game was 10 degrees at night--cold enough to have to keep drinks in the cooler to keep them from freezing--and I think the tremendous amount of mental effort that went into not throwing in the towel that weekend and going home early turned me into a dedicated true believer of LARP.:tearsofjoy:
Well, that and the grand mal seizure I had at the second one. Scariest thing to ever happen to me that I don't remember. Fortunately so, from what people have told me.
Which, oddly, I discovered is that magical, mythical "better time" for coming out to friends, as you lie in the hospital explaining the nurse why you're taking hormones of the opposite sex, your concerned friend now your concerned and puzzled friend.:joycat:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Listening to other people's stories I do miss traveling, but I was not traveling before Covid so missing traveling goes back about 10 years.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't miss going into the office where everyone but me is smiling ear to ear.
I hear you on that one. I only went to the office when I absolutely had to so I could file paperwork or show up for a meeting. Other than that I was never in. Those "normal people," those allegedly "us/normally functioning" people, they weirded me out. Almost made me want to be a prison therapist. They are a group most in need of someone to just listen to them without giving them judgement in return. Those "normal people" I swear came from another planet.

darkskies

You really have to. Cosplay on its own can be fun, but LARP is so much fun it makes Elder Scroll games seem intolerably boring and dull by comparison (and indeed, I quit playing them the couple years I was LARPing because LARP ruined it for me). Getting to play a character in a fantasy world, acting things out (you have to RP everything, including pick pocketing), a weekend in the woods (where I played, anyways), and just about everyone there is a nerd.
I also noticed where I LARPed (basically a stone's throw away from Michigan), it was very LGBT friendly with probably at least a quarter of the players there being some letter there. So much so, that the in-game faction I belonged to, out of the dozen members there was one of us who hadn't had sex with the same sex and has no interest in it.
WOW. Sure will. Sounds awesome.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Personally, I miss concerts the most, with going to the movies being a close second. Maybe it's the genres of music I listen to but I've always believed that music is meant to be experienced live. Same as how I think a movie is best experienced at a movie theater. I don't care how big your 4k tv is - I have one, too, as well as an Xbox One X to play 4k discs and media on, big whoop - it'll never be as good as experiencing it at a theater. If it's Imax or Dolby Cinema, all the better.

Same with concerts, to me. There's something transcendent and tribal about a good concert to me. For a person with severe anxiety, I can say that concerts are the only time I've ever been comfortable in a crowd, even a crowd of many thousands. It's because it's not about you and bigger than you. You can pass out (I've fainted from dehydration and heat exhaustion at a concert before), act like a spaz and no one cares (although they may try to help).

2020 was first year since I started going to concerts (around 20 years ago) that I didn't go to any. I went to two in 2019, a little show by Blessthefall and Slaves at a tavern right around the corner from me. It was so hot and the room was so small that the sweat turned into condescension and dropped from the ceiling. Lol. Later that year, it was a slightly larger Clutch and Killswitch Engage gig. Now...nothing.

I've seen dozens and dozens of bands of various genres. Mostly genres related to punk, metalcore and extreme metal. AFI, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dropkick Murphys, Slayer, Anthrax, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, Sick of it All, the Offspring, As I Lay Dying, Angels and Airwaves, etc. are typical of the bands I would go see - from post-hardcore to deathcore to old-school thrash and hardcore punk. But I also saw the the Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Tool and Lady Gaga (out of those four, only Bowie wasn't in an arena, so make of that what you will) so my concert going was varied between mainstream and more underground artists, as my music listening is, although it tends to the underground.

Concerts are definitely a release for me. I miss even being next to mosh pits, although I no longer actively go in them. I even miss crowd surfers falling on my head and walls of death. It was something that made me feel alive, which was always something hard for me. Now I don't have much at all.

You?
Honestly i can't say i miss anything that I can think of.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I hear you on that one. I only went to the office when I absolutely had to so I could file paperwork or show up for a meeting. Other than that I was never in. Those "normal people," those allegedly "us/normally functioning" people, they weirded me out. Almost made me want to be a prison therapist. They are a group most in need of someone to just listen to them without giving them judgement in return. Those "normal people" I swear came from another planet.
You were very fortunate if you did not have to go into the office very often pre-Covid. I had to show up four days a week for 10 hours a day and not only did I have to smile and look happy, I had to listen to all the boring conversations about things I consider trivial. I fear the day when they call us all back to work in the office but if they do I will retire, as I could retire any time I choose to.
I cannot turn the clock back and deal with that office again, so luckily I don't have to.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You were very fortunate if you did not have to go into the office very often pre-Covid. I had to show up four days a week for 10 hours a day and not only did I have to smile and look happy, I had to listen to all the boring conversations about things I consider trivial. I fear the day when they call us all back to work in the office but if they do I will retire, as I could retire any time I choose to.
I cannot turn the clock back and deal with that office again, so luckily I don't have to.
It's when I was a home-based case manager (forgot to include that), which was the last year I lived in Indiana. While that was a great perk, it was also a great curse as it did put bed bugs on top of the list of worst things I have ever brought home with me.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sitting in a restaurant and having a nice dinner and a drink.

Getting on an airplane to go to a new destination.
I agree wholeheartedly with the first.

But I've done enough air travel in my life to have come to hate it "with a passion", as my late French wife used to say.:D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Basic everyday life, the french habit of cheek touching when you meet a friend, normal shopping, meals out in restaurants, hopping on a plane to see parents and friends.