• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make of this? - contradictions in the Separator glyph

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
It seems Budge disagrees with The Velde on the middle Egyptian. Who are we to trust? Using it in place of Set seems pretty clear compared to one of like millions of symbols/words in budge's dictionary. I also trust Te Velde more, at least related to Set himself. So to me, it means separator, and it's awesome to have a pronounciation of it (utcha), but I wanted to be open about finding this contradiction.

aqECFuJ.jpg

Rqfy1a2.png

GoodbyeDave

Te Velde is obviously a lot more up-to-date than Budge.

As far as that sign goes, my dictionary (Paul Dickson) translates it as cut, separate, discern, judge. Used with the god determinative as a name of Set, he renders it as "he who is judged", but he could just as well have said "he who judges". Te Velde's "he who separates" makes more sense to me, but we really can't get any further without an explanation from an Ancient Egyptian!

On the matter of pronunciation, the three hieroglyphs are consonants, transcribed as "wḏꜥ" (or wDa on fontally-challenged computers!) The convention in Budge's day was to pronounce them as "ucha", while today it's generally "weja". Needless to say, the ch/j in the middle wasn't ch or j! In Classical Egyptian you could turn the verb "separate" into a noun "separator" by changing the vowels, but we don't know how it was done. In the Roman period, you'd probably say nuti-wôč, literally "separating god" — I know they said ref-wôč "separating man" for "separator".