• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you look for in a church?

Deidre

My husband and I have been trying to find a church where we feel settled. I don't go to church all that often, honestly, but maybe it's because I haven't found one that I feel like taking the time to return to. I know it's not all about me, lol but what I mean is, I want to feel like the Truth is being spoken, not a watered down version of it, or worse, a distorted version. I'm into my faith again, and it would be nice to find a church that I could feel is being led by the Holy Spirit. What do you look for in a church?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it should have a board of trustees, some members who have been there for 20 years, leaders with grown children. Also because your are fairly new it should be larger than 150 active members. You are not ready for 'church planting' or small new congregations and the weird problems that come up in those. You aren't needed to revive a dying membership program. You need a buffer from mental issues unless that is your specialty. The church should not be going through a transfer of leadership or change of ministry type or style. Look for a friendly atmosphere and accountability. It will rub off on you.

Don't worry if people seem unfriendly or too dressy, not dressy enough or in are in some way flawed. Look at their nursery system. Look at their groups. Do they do regular things together or is it limited to only church controlled activities. Is every activity called a 'Ministry' ? That is probably a startup church -- too new for you. You want some balance there where people are getting to know each other both in and out of church and without it being necessarily a church ministry. Its fellowship should be growing beyond what is officially provided, like there is just too much to go around. I'd say if it looks like they are all lifelong friends and that it will take some energy to break in its probably a good sign for you, unless its too small. Go medium sized.

Cooky

Veteran Member
With a Church, I look for nicer architecture, and liveliness of parishioners.

...I've been going to St. Thomas More in Irvine, because the priest is phenominal. But I'm also anxiously waiting for the Christ Cathedral (formerly Crystal Cathedral) renovations to be completed. It's going to be really cool.

o62m7c-b88690463z.120160422220438000g20g37ed.60.jpg

whirlingmerc

My husband and I have been trying to find a church where we feel settled. I don't go to church all that often, honestly, but maybe it's because I haven't found one that I feel like taking the time to return to. I know it's not all about me, lol but what I mean is, I want to feel like the Truth is being spoken, not a watered down version of it, or worse, a distorted version. I'm into my faith again, and it would be nice to find a church that I could feel is being led by the Holy Spirit. What do you look for in a church?

I try to find a church near enough to be part of the community I live in

I look at the church finder on www.ninemarks.org or the church finder on www.thegospelcoalition.org
There is a list of ideals on the nine marks web site and no church is perfect and i try not to be a nine marxist about it... but those are good guidelines

Deidre

I think it should have a board of trustees, some members who have been there for 20 years, leaders with grown children. Also because your are fairly new it should be larger than 150 active members. You are not ready for 'church planting' or small new congregations and the weird problems that come up in those. You aren't needed to revive a dying membership program. You need a buffer from mental issues unless that is your specialty. The church should not be going through a transfer of leadership or change of ministry type or style. Look for a friendly atmosphere and accountability. It will rub off on you.

Don't worry if people seem unfriendly or too dressy, not dressy enough or in are in some way flawed. Look at their nursery system. Look at their groups. Do they do regular things together or is it limited to only church controlled activities. Is every activity called a 'Ministry' ? That is probably a startup church -- too new for you. You want some balance there where people are getting to know each other both in and out of church and without it being necessarily a church ministry. Its fellowship should be growing beyond what is officially provided, like there is just too much to go around. I'd say if it looks like they are all lifelong friends and that it will take some energy to break in its probably a good sign for you, unless its too small. Go medium sized.
I agree with some of this. My main thing is, I want to find a church that is strong in the BIble, and doesn't water it down, and the service becomes a feel good song lesson. lol I really like the church I go to now for the message as the pastor is awesome, but there are things that seem to worldly about the church. Idk. Maybe I need to lessen my pickiness lol I do feel the holy spirit there, though.

With a Church, I look for nicer architecture, and liveliness of parishioners.

...I've been going to St. Thomas More in Irvine, because the priest is phenominal. But I'm also anxiously waiting for the Christ Cathedral (formerly Crystal Cathedral) renovations to be completed. It's going to be really cool.

View attachment 27134
Aw, this is nice. I'm an ex-Catholic, and the Catholic churches are some of the most beautiful.

I try to find a church near enough to be part of the community I live in

I look at the church finder on www.ninemarks.org or the church finder on www.thegospelcoalition.org
There is a list of ideals on the nine marks web site and no church is perfect and i try not to be a nine marxist about it... but those are good guidelines
Thank you for this, I appreciate it.

Romans 3:4 No church.
Thank you

whirlingmerc

I agree with some of this. My main thing is, I want to find a church that is strong in the BIble, and doesn't water it down, and the service becomes a feel good song lesson. lol I really like the church I go to now for the message as the pastor is awesome, but there are things that seem to worldly about the church. Idk. Maybe I need to lessen my pickiness lol I do feel the holy spirit there, though.

Aw, this is nice. I'm an ex-Catholic, and the Catholic churches are some of the most beautiful.

Thank you for this, I appreciate it.

Thank you

I think turning the whole service into a song service without good teaching is a big mistake

I think you might check some local PCA churches. They might feel like a more grounded in many respects
but I would try the non marks and gospel coalition church locators and see what's near you. Likely they will be more biblically grounded

Deidre

I think turning the whole service into a song service without good teaching is a big mistake

I think you might check some local PCA churches. They might feel like a more grounded in many respects
but I would try the non marks and gospel coalition church locators and see what's near you. Likely they will be more biblically grounded
Yes, agree. I don't like services where I feel like I've been to a Christian music concert.

Do you have any christian friends? Maybe try one of their churches if you want.

But me personally I don't like going to a church that likes to put it's opinion in modern politics.