• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like most about these religions?

almifkhar

i will speak of the ones i know of and admire, and these are the big messages that i got from them.
hinduism- that life is more than the hear and now
buddhism- finding and controling the power in ones self
islam- simission to god can be a good thing in respect to community and ones self
judaism- laws are here for a reason
all nature baised religions in general- teach that one must respect and be kind to mother earth
zen- this is one that i had a hard time understanding so i have no opinion as of yet
sikism- all life matters and none is superior of another
christanity- to me this is one that is more of a political ideal instead of a religion but in the beginning of christanity i have to say that the key of it was seeking truth
satanism/agnostic/atheism- i don't think are so good for they deal more with the material instead of the spiritual, but as i read the above the good thing about these philosophies are that they do keep the faithful on their toes

Lightkeeper

Islam--The prayers several times a day
Buddhism--finding the power within and balance
Wicca--The connection to nature
Atheism/Agnosticism--questioning
Satanism--satisfying human needs
Christianity--Love,forgiveness,pulling back projections,the golden rule, the 23rd Psalm.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Prima said:
I thought Kwan Yin was Hindu?
Good point. I think she (originally a he) may have originated from there, though she seems primarily celebrated nowadays as a [font=細明體]bodhisattva. I think this page has some good information on her.
[/font]

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Islam - Very beautiful mosques.
Buddhism - Most Buddhists I've met are very laid back :)
Wicca - Respect for women.
Atheism/Agnosticism - Down to earth.
Satanism - Accepts human nature.
Christianity - Teaches of peace and love.

Master Vigil

Islam - I love how they pray often throughout the day, keeps the religion alive and important.
Buddhism - Well, lets see.:D Finding peace in the world through psychological reasoning. And the understanding of suffering, attachment, and illusions. Love it.
Wicca - As with all earth based religions, the sacred in all things. Finding the sacred in trees, the seasons, the moon cycles, etc... And also the recognition of the power of the feminine.
Satanism - Respect for human nature
Christianity - Love

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, as someone else (I've forgotten who within the time it took me to get to this page; apologies to author) said, great topic Maize.
The fact is that I see good in virtually all religions, as long as they teach morals, 'an Ideal way of living' - It's that easy; I like them all! (This isn't a 'cop out' answer; it's what I really feel) - I'm sure most of you will have worked that one out about me anyway.:)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
No dear, all the posts are just merged into one thread. I left the title as you had it so you could find it.

BruceDLimber

Hi!

I've been a Baha'i for quite some time now, but as to other religions, I still have a place in my heart for the Lutheran Church.

In addition to preparing me very well for becoming a Baha'i (and I mean this as a great compliment, not irony!), the Lutherans have a great love of, concentration on, and constant use of music in general and singing especially! I'm a great lover of music, and especially of singing, and I credit the Lutheran Church with much of the responsibility for this! :)

Best,

Bruce

Fluffy

A fool
Judaism: The 10 commandments, or some of them at least, were a revolutionary step forward, in my opinion and deserve the huge amount of credit which they are due.

Christianity: The Sermon on the Mount and Jesus in general.

Agnosticism: Pointing out that theism and atheism aren't the most open minded of viewpoints :).

Satanism: Giving a totally different perspective of things. A lot of which makes a ton of sense.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
What I most like about:

Judaism - Its commitment to social justice - the idea that the one who speaks what is just can stand up even to kings, that might does not make right. Heck, in Judaism, humans can argue even with God and win the argument if they are right. :)

Christianity - Its emphasis on love/agape, on God's mercy over God's justice. It's egalitarianism in that anyone is "saved" based on love, and not based on birthright or hierarchy.

Islam - Its emphasis on the unity of God. Not just the idea that God is one but the unity of creation. All of creation is a reflection of God's glory and power - ordered and beautiful - and one can better understand God by understanding creation. I also like its complete submission to God.

Hinduism - Its inherent pluralism. It's recognition that different people require different paths and that's perfectly ok. Whether it's a different emphasis on head, heart or hands, or the recognition of the value of other religions.

Buddhism - Its beautiful rationality and equanimity. Buddhism is extremely rational at its core. I'd argue even more rational than Humanism, since Buddhism recognizes that from an impartial pov, humans are no more important than anything else.

Taoism - Its recognition and affirmation of paradox, and the transience of "reality."

Paganism - Its recognition of the cycles of nature, and the divinity of nature. And the interconnectedness of humans with nature.

Humanism - Its recognition that humans are of the ultimate concern and they have the ultimate responsibility. Ideas should never override human needs, and humans are ultimately responsible for filling these needs.

Some of the things that I like about one religion directly contradict the things that I like about some other religion. That's fine with me. God/Ultimate Reality/the Unconditioned/whatever you want to call it is paradox. (Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism all recognize this.) And all views are necessary for "the truth" to be represented.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
What I like most about all Religions is that they try show us that we can be more then we are .. only in different ways .

ayani

i love Buddhism for its simple, reasonable, touching responses to the issues of suffering and spirituality.

i love Wicca for its embrace of various traditions and practices, its emphasis on gender equality, and its respect for the natural world.

i love the Baha'i Faith for its beauty of religious writing and its vision of unity.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
For Anglicanism I love the KJV, it is rather spectacular as a feat of human genius and a tool of oratory. Also they have the best hymns.
For orthodox Judaism, I love the nuanced and subtle conception of God.
For buddhism I love the intellectual rigour.
For sufism I love the pragmatism, the practicality.

Unification

We spend so much time debating and arguing our religion's points and views that it seems we we focus more on what we don't like about other religions than what we do. So, I'd like everyone to share something you like about a religion other than your own. It can be anything about it, it's theology, it's worldview, it's people, it's works, etc. You don't have to limit yourself to just one thing or one religion either. Let's hear some positives! :)

Oh, and this is one of those instances where if you can't say anything nice, please don't say anything at all

It unites people, but never leaves people fully whole or complete. Partial truths. It Outcasts any other outside group. It limits God. One should seek one truth for the entire world, that unites all of mankind and what we all have in common, which is everything internal. God is no respector of persons.

Great question and thread :).