• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like most about these religions?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
We spend so much time debating and arguing our religion's points and views that it seems we we focus more on what we don't like about other religions than what we do. So, I'd like everyone to share something you like about a religion other than your own. It can be anything about it, it's theology, it's worldview, it's people, it's works, etc. You don't have to limit yourself to just one thing or one religion either. Let's hear some positives! :)

Oh, and this is one of those instances where if you can't say anything nice, please don't say anything at all

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Hey, I like this topic! Great creative thinking there, Maize. :)

Christianity has an awesome guy that was not only a hippy, but could turn water into wine! That definately ranks way up there in the cool section of my book. :D

The law of three in Wicca is a good way to encourage people to do good deeds, and it has a nice touch of goddess-worship in it.

Can't really think of any other religions I have gripes with... but then again, I don't know as much about others as I do with Christianity and Wicca.

meogi

Religions, any, I respect how good they make people feel. And the communal spirit they bring when they get in large groups just baffles my mind.

Hmm... specifics
Christianity - /agree Jensa, that's a definate plus! And just imagine his ability to water ski!
Morman - They own a state. Need I say more!?
Buddhism - Attaining perfection in the self. All people should strive for this...
Muslim - Mohammed Ali! Not to mention the travel benefits...
Psychic Cats - Because cats that shoot 'mind bullets' kick ***! ;)

(okay, I just made that last one up)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I have always appreciated the Jewish concept of Zedakah.
The age-old and possibly ubiquitous compassionate impulse to relieve suffering through personal service and the giving of personal substance to the needy, whenever a society developed marked inequality in possessions, found its most notable exemplification among the ancient Hebrews. In marked contrast with the permissiveness of charity in most early religious and ethical systems, and with the relegation to the state of responsibility for the poor in Greco-Roman civilization, Judaism made charity a central and imperative duty for each believer. In the fifth book of Moses (Deuteronomy 14:22) tithing was made a compulsory obligation: “For the poor shall never cease out of the land; therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.” Similarly, it was an obligation to give one's bread to the hungry, to take the outcast into one's home, to clothe the naked (Isaiah 58:7). In making charity to all needy Jews an obligation (however gladly it was executed), Judaism identified charity and justice (Zedakah).

- see Jewish Philanthropy

Lightkeeper

I find nuggets of beauty in all religions. I think the messages of Jesus are among the most beautiful. I especially like the Beatitudes. From Hinduism, I like the image of the "Salt Doll" walking in to the ocean. This meaning we return to the beloved and become part of the whole. There is no separation between the Eternal and us.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Great idea for a topic, Maize! Because I don't honestly know what my own religion is yet, I'll freely compliment 'em all. A few off the top of my head...

Christianity: Blessed are the meek? Gotta love that!
Islam: Beautiful images in their holy words!
Judaism: Associating knowledge with sweet honey? Yay!
Shinto: I feel connected with the kitsune spirits, though I don't know if that's a comment on the religion, or the world in general...
Buddhism: I love the The Eightfold Path! (And try to follow it, as best I can.)
Hinduism: Resulted in one of my favorite lines in the "Simpsons,"
Sideshow Mel: “You only live once.”
Apu:“Hey, speak for yourself.”
Also, when Homer baby-proofs Abu's statue of Shiva by putting mittens on all the hands. I can never remember the exact dialouge, but it goes something like this...
Abu: "Oh, thank you! No more Shiva-related pokings."
Homer: "Yeah, about that, you might want to switch to a nice round Buddha."
Abu: "But we're Hindu."
Homer: "So am I, but I don't get all huffy about it."
Unitarian Universalism: Seems to celebrate the truth and beauty in all faiths. I'm all for that!
Atheism: The 'participants' seems to have a good sense of humor.
Native American religions: How beautiful to live each day in worship!
Wicca/ Paganism: The Threefold Law seems to be right up there with the Golden Rule.
What I've been learning about it has also been giving me a boost in self-esteem.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

Runt

Christianity: teachings of love for neighbors and enemies alike
Islam: respect for prophets originally from other religions
Judaism: being, for the most part, the most peaceful of the 3 Abrahamic religions
Hinduism: the ability to accept so many different paths to God/Brahman/moksha/
Buddhism: the practical teaching that the middle path of moderation is a good way to go
Wicca: the ability to see God in many different ways
Satanism: the brutal realism :p

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Christianity: The music that has been written for it, I worship the gods of Bach and Beethoven!

Hinduism: They recognize that people are different and need to search for God in their own way. I like that.

Buddhism: Their compassion for all living beings.

Paganism: Nature is revered

Lightkeeper

Right now I'm studying the Upanishads, which is from Hinduism. They emphasize finding the Eternal within, finding the real Self. I think Christianity has the same message if you look deep enough into it. Sometimes I turn a Christian music station on on the radio. This station plays the more traditional music with choir music. I don't listen to the words, but let the music work on me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I appreciate the way that Christianity and Islam preserved Greek learning. Aristotle, for instance, would be virtually unknown to us had it not been for the effort to preserve his writings made by Christian and Islamic scholars.

Doc

Space Chief
Jewish-they are a very peaceful people even if our beliefs are different
Islam- Their outstanding devotion to God/Allah
Non-Denominational- just living by simple morals and not making large institutions of religon to control themselves
Lutheran-their values of faith and simplicity
Buddhism- their respect for nature and creation( arent they vegetarians)?
Atheists-very different beliefs but their ability to reason and make decisions based on scientific reason as well as logic

anders

If I could belive in a Supreme Being and reincarnation, I would probably have converted to Sikhism.

That is the most tolerant faith I have found. It recognises other religions, for example, freely paraphrased, "It is possible to be a good Muslim or a good Hindu, but it is difficult." It teaches and practices equality in all ways. All believers are welcome to their services and shared meals; no difference is made on ground of beliefs, caste, "race", gender etc. They explicitely deny the concept of ritual uncleanliness: "Woman, who gives birth to prophets and kings to us, how could she ever be unclean?"

It is basically a very peaceful religion, but reserves the right to fight back when attacked. Nothing wrong in that either.

My condensation of their basics is
1) Praise the Name
2) Do your job honestly
3) Help those in need.

I can't comply with 1), but find the rest admirable.

Curiousgirl81

Well...

Christianity - Their helpfulness
Islam - Their sciences
Judiasm - Their humor
Buddhism - Their love
Hinduism - Their fun holidays
Wiccan - Nature lovers
Ba'hai - Equality for all
Daoism - Their philosophy

Prima

I thought this would be great to help everyone look at the GOOD aspects of other religions. Think of one thing you really like about each of these religions. Find one thing for EACH before you post! :D Obviously I haven't listed all of them. I haven't been very specific, either, for those people who don't know much about each religion.

Islam
Buddhism
Wicca
Atheism/Agnosticism
Satanism
Christianity

No*s

Captain Obvious
Well, I like Christianity because I'm a part of it :biglaugh:.

On Islam, I must say that Muhammed's laws on the poor were a far cry from what preceded him, and improved their condition when observed (I gather they aren't much now).

Buddhism takes seriously the condition of human suffering.

Wicca generally loves nature, and as such, helps fuel the enviromental movement.

Atheism/Agnosticism keeps theists on their toes :). Seriously, though, that's a pretty broad category that covers many philosophies, including the Satanism below (I know nil about theistic Satanism, so I won't say good or bad about them).

Prima

You're entirely right about Islamic Law. At the time the Qu'uran was written, it had downright shocking views on women and giving to the poor!

No*s

Captain Obvious
Prima said:
You're entirely right about Islamic Law. At the time the Qu'uran was written, it had downright shocking views on women and giving to the poor!

It did indeed. It's one of the better things in it :).

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Islam~ Has some of the most beautiful religious texts I've ever read.

Buddhism~ Kwan Yin is one of my favorite goddesses, so gotta love any religion that celebrates her!

Wicca~ Kinda biased on this one, hehee... So many things I love!

Atheism/Agnosticism~ Their willingness to face what they believe is the truth, and their ability to stand against ignorance and bigots.

Satanism~ Depending on the tradition, either honesty or celebration of mysticism.

Christianity~ Pure and honest love for all people and help for those that are more weak.

Saw11_2000

Prima said:
I thought this would be great to help everyone look at the GOOD aspects of other religions. Think of one thing you really like about each of these religions. Find one thing for EACH before you post! :D Obviously I haven't listed all of them. I haven't been very specific, either, for those people who don't know much about each religion.

Islam
Buddhism
Wicca
Atheism/Agnosticism
Satanism
Christianity
Islam-Very devoted followers who follow the Quran very strictly and do not tend to stray from its literal meaning as much as other theists.

Buddhism-Peace loving religion, and I think Buddha is very cool.

Wicca-Great group of people who are very accepting and intelligent.

Atheism/Agnosticism-Because I'm in it... :p

Satanism-They look at things objectively and do not dicriminate as much as some others.

Christianity-Very moral based religion with nice followers who are guided by 10 Commandments.