• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you know about your ancestral history

What interesting people are in your family tree?

In my case, I know of two people. In the Qing Dynasty, which will be similar to the Foreign Relations Bureau today in a department or a politician. He made ​​a trip to the United Kingdom, France and Germany on behalf of the Chinese government, sometime before 1900.

Another is a soldier, from the Ming dynasty, surnamed "Qian". He participated in the China and Korea alliance, opposed to Japan, during the Japanese attempt of invading the Asian continent in Korea. One of the legend that my grandfather told me, in order to avoid more bloodshed, he accepted the challenge to a duel from one of the other commanders.

I am related to General George B. McClellan, who was one of the major generals of the Union in the Civil War. My great-great-great-grandfather was McClellan's first cousin.

Last edited:

Thoreau

My family has been really good at keeping up with our family line.

My mother's father's side is the worst. We only have that traced back to the early 1800's in Texas. We hit a brick wall in research. We know the line came from England at some point during the late 1700's or early 1800's, but we can't find direct evidence.

My mother's mother's side we have traced back into Scotland in the 1600's (immigrating to the US around 1780).

My father's father's side we have traced back into Germany in the 1700's (immigrating to the US in 1740), then back into France all the way to the 1630's.

My father's mother's side we have traced back to the Czech Republic in the 1700's (immigrating to the US in the early 1900's).

I'm related to several relatively famous people, included John Chilcoat (a revolutionary war soldier), WIlliam Barclay "Bat" Masterson, and several others. Many of them share my last name, so I've left those out for the sake of security.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My family tree goes all the way back.
So suck it up, you unfortunate fellow posters....you're all related to me!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have The builder of the Titanic (cousin) , A prime minister of norther Island(cousin), and the inventor of the boyant cable to destroy magnetic mines ( still used) (Grandfather).

I know my entire family tree on my fathers side going back to 1760 ( produced by Burkes)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Im adopted but it would be interesting where most of my dna can be traced to.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I know virtually nothing of my ancestry except that my paternal grandparents were from Collesano Sicily, my grandfather was a laborer, and my grandmother died at 55 years old. My father used to say that his great-aunts and great-uncles were employees of the Spanish royal court; one uncle could have married a princess but chose a barmaid. How romantic. :rolleyes: Of course my father was known to be full of **** at times. :biglaugh: My suspicion is that we have some Nordic blood... my grandfather was said to have bright blue eyes, my father had platinum blond hair as a boy: very un-Mediterranean. We are more nothern European in appearance than Mediterranean.

My maternal grandparents were from Maddalona and Casserta in southern Italy. My grandfather was somewhat educated, speaking English and French in addition to his native Italian. He was a hatter, then a deep thinker, i.e. he stayed home to play cards and drink wine, philosophizing at home with his cronies while my grandmother ran the grocery store they owned. My grandmother came to America when she was about 9 years old, her mother sending her to an uncle and aunt before she died.

Beyond that, my ancestors were probably simple village peasants. Not a bad thing, actually. I wouldn't mind living that bucolic and pastoral kind of life. ;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So you can be the start of a new dynasty.

I am afraid some of us live off the past glories , rather than working on something new worth remembering.
Wise words, Terry.

My lineage goes back to the English and Scottish countryside, but it's never been a topic of much fascination. The only real trait my family posses is that we tend to live a very long time. Good stock, I suppose.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The most important and interesting thing any of my ancestors did was to survive and reproduce in order that I could eventually be born.

badger

Hwít éoredmæcg
My ancestors include one Sir John Gage who was Constable of the Tower during the reign of Henry VIII, and was present at the execution of Katherine Howard, (Henry's fifth wife) in 1542.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I am descended from Thomas Hooker on my dad's father's side.

I lost a lot of my Jewish ancestors in the Holocaust. I always have to remember.