• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you get from discussion/debate

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I been thinking and I have to be honest and say I can not see anymore value of discussion or especially debate that is between people from different faith, where one person try to disprove or debunk the other persons faith or religious belief.

Is it difficult to accept that people are different and believe differently that our own belief?

I believe in acceptance of other people who believe different than me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I get education from discussion or debate.

I'm not interested in disproving or debunking anyone's beliefs, though I do think they shouldn't be afraid to have them questioned.

Some people get aggressive when their beliefs or views are questioned. And it's not only religious or spiritual people. Just the other day on this forum, I had an atheist get aggressive with me when I questioned theirs.

We Never Know

No Slack
I been thinking and I have to be honest and say I can not see anymore value of discussion or especially debate that is between people from different faith, where one person try to disprove or debunk the other persons faith or religious belief.

Is it difficult to accept that people are different and believe differently that our own belief?

Learning tops the list. Different views/answers give reason to rethink and research some things again.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I'm not interested in disproving or debunking anyone's beliefs, though I do think they shouldn't be afraid to have them questioned.

Some people get aggressive when their beliefs or views are questioned. And it's not only religious or spiritual people. Just the other day on this forum, I had an atheist get aggressive with me when I questioned theirs.
We all should question our own belief, all the time yes :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I get anothers point of view, whether thats useful or not varies

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I accept people, but not necessarily their beliefs, and I'm fascinated by cultural and religious differences.
If one's really interested in truth or reality, it's hard to imagine not being interested in sorting the facts from the falsehoods, or understanding the reasoning behind differences in belief.

Discussion and debate can keep your mind sharp. It's educational. It prompts one to further research the subjects in question.
Discussion and debate are fun. People seem to enjoy physical competition, in sports, for example. Why would intellectual competition be any less enjoyable?

Faith and religion inform law and politics, and have massive effects, for good or ill, on entire societies.

As for faith or religious beliefs in particular, I'd expect many Christians, for example, to be extremely eager to correct false or heretical beliefs, for the same reason they'd want to rescue someone from a burning building. Not trying to save a heretic from Hell fire doesn't seem very Christian.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

You can accept and still debate. It's not debating to change the others mind, that's an argument. Debating us looking at beliefs critically, assessing the other person's points and validity, and discussing those points to see if they make sense based on criteria both parties (in an ideal setting) agree with using.

That and proving one is wrong could be just telling the others that they disagree and how. It depends on the lens you view debates. I'm sure it could be a personality clash and lack of nonverbal cues.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I accept people, but not necessarily their beliefs, and I'm fascinated by cultural and religious differences.
If one's really interested in truth or reality, it's hard to imagine not being interested in sorting the facts from the falsehoods, or understanding the reasoning behind differences in belief.

Discussion and debate can keep your mind sharp. It's educational. It prompts one to further research the subjects in question.
Discussion and debate are fun. People seem to enjoy physical competition, in sports, for example. Why would intellectual competition be any less enjoyable?

Faith and religion inform law and politics, and have massive effects, for good or ill, on entire societies.

As for faith or religious beliefs in particular, I'd expect many Christians, for example, to be extremely eager to correct false or heretical beliefs, for the same reason they'd want to rescue someone from a burning building. Not trying to save a heretic from Hell fire doesn't seem very Christian.
I think I losing some of the interest for discussion and debate because the path i follow is more inward toward my heart and I no longer see value in disagree with what others believe, since its their belief not mine.

MikeF

Premium Member

For me it provides a platform to exercises my aging brain. :)

More seriously, in a democratic society, beliefs affect the body politic. It is in my interest that the decisions we make as a society are based on sound principles and a realistic understanding of the world. I think it is important to explore beliefs and find common ground on issues that can affect everyone.

A Vestigial Mote

You didn't question anything. You tried to assert some things through lines of questioning... prodding me on with statements like "You're on the right track...", like I was approaching some "truth" you already held onto. Give me a break man.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You didn't question anything. You tried to assert some things through lines of questioning... prodding me on with statements like "You're on the right track...", like I was approaching some "truth" you already held onto. Give me a break man.

cover.png

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I think I losing some of the interest for discussion and debate because the path i follow is more inward toward my heart and I no longer see value in disagree with what others believe, since its their belief not mine.
Sufism is the only path that comes close to my form of Tantra, so I'm glad you are still here for a while more at least. I wish there were more sufi's here.

I just enjoy reading about other people's paths and I'm still amazed at how comparatively different but sometimes also similar some of them think compared to my own way of thinking.
Perhaps I'm presently the only person on the forum who received tantric diikshá.

I suppose comparing my ideas with those of others gives me better sense of in which position my path stands and in which ways it is unique or similar. Expressing those ideas can always feel unpleasant to others, especially when they are more or less thoroughly motivated.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I become aware of counter arguments, and counter to counter to counter arguments, and you get the gist. This gives me a more complete picture and so if I were ever to write my proofs in books, I have an over all understanding of the counter arguments to address them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I'm with you as for debate. Actual discussion is okay by me, because education can contribute to a greater understanding and tolerance of our fellow man. I put in the word 'actual' because I encounter much 'discussion' that isn't discussion, but more just presenting your own views in a semi-polite way.

RestlessSoul

A distinction should be drawn between the free and honest exchange of ideas, which is almost always useful, and the desire to impose one's own ideas on another, which is almost always useless.

@Conscious thoughts , clearly you are a gentle soul. When other's debate in an abrasive manner, perhaps try to remember that it's almost certainly not you they are angry with? I hope you don't withdraw from this forum, or from the world at large. You have a lot to offer.