• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do You do to commune with God?

iamthere

I am not here to start a debate on weather God exists or doesn't exists. Or to call anyone out for their belief's. I want to understand what people do to strengthen their own faith or to honor their own belief's.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I am not here to start a debate on weather God exists or doesn't exists. Or to call anyone out for their belief's. I want to understand what people do to strengthen their own faith or to honor their own belief's.

Prayer. Meditation. Observance of the commandments. Recitation of blessings every day. Study of Torah and Kabbalah.

All those things, and many other things as well, help me bring myself closer to God.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Prayer and meditation. Chanting the name of God. Thinking of God often. Being good to others. Rituals, too, as I like rituals and order.

iamthere

Well, what are some of your rituals? Fasting? Pilgrimage? celebrating a special day?---for a particular reason.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't believe in any spiritual benefit for fasting or for pilgrimages, or anything of the kind. In my opinion, no day is holier than the next; no day is special, no time is special, other than right now.

For me, rituals are simply the way I like my prayers and worship and such performed. I like organization and like to follow things to a tee. I don't believe that the Divine will be offended if I do them differently, but I like doing them the way I do them.

I chant Eir names, I pray to Em. I worship Em in Eir Deity form, as Radha-Krishna. I often read Scriptures and think of Em constantly. And of course, I think of others as extensions of Em trying to teach me to become more devoted to Em.

I actually follow the Nine Processes of Bhakti Yoga as found in the Srimad-Bhagavatam (taken from Wikipedia):

(1) śravaṇa ("listening" to the scriptural stories of Kṛṣṇa and his companions), (2) kīrtana ("praising," usually refers to ecstatic group singing), (3) smaraṇa ("remembering" or fixing the mind on Viṣṇu), (4) pāda-sevana (rendering service), (5) arcana (worshiping an image), (6) vandana (paying homage, praying), (7) dāsya (servitude), (8) sākhya (friendship), and (9) ātma-nivedana (complete surrender of the self). (from Bhagata Purana, 7.5.23-24)

BruceDLimber

Daily prayer and one other daily ritual, plus frequent attendance at meetings and participation in chorales.

Bruce

Me Myself

Back to my username
Lately I have been primarily chanting mantras of hindu deities.

Also meditating in silence a bit.

Also praying fixed words that I got from a "summit lighthousE" book. Those are cool too.

All this tends to be done before going to sleep

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Study and learn more about how the universe and everything in it works.
Out of curiosity, is there any form of worship in Deism? If so, how does it go? :) Prayer I can imagine not being done due to the nature of God in Deism, but I'm not sure about worship?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Out of curiosity, is there any form of worship in Deism? If so, how does it go? :) Prayer I can imagine not being done due to the nature of God in Deism, but I'm not sure about worship?
For me, not so much worship as an appreciation for the complexity and awesome beauty of the universe.

gnosticx

ive had answers given to me in regard to just about every question i could ask and have thought why??? two things im going to say....no religion has any idea of the truth and they cant even tell you where you are...therefore youve got to start with a fresh slate and ask genuinely,often and if the gods believe you will accept the answer ( they dont cast pearls because if you arnt of the mind thats going to accept the truth,which i can guarentee is totally different to what you believe since your asking this question, then that would just steer you down wrong path....) and are patient and do all to get the answers yourself then perhaps you'll be answered.. the gods are no respecter of person so i cant imagine why no one would be answered..how i ask ...well just ask, in your mind....out load in private. dont matter as i can tell you from where you are they will know what your asking real time and if your genuine..100%. when you get answer s up to them.,. all the best.

bigbadgirl

Die. If God exists, it's the only way to commune with God for sure. I plan to do this some day. The later the better. I'm in no hurry to commune with God.

Trey of Diamonds

This isn't me but it is what I love to do. Water in general puts me in a spiritual mood. Doesn't matter if its swimming, canoeing, boogie boarding, sailing, whatever. For me, God is in the water.

2011_02_16-17_41_19-1179-kailua-hawaii-boogie-boarding.jpg

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
For me, not so much worship as an appreciation for the complexity and awesome beauty of the universe.
Ahh, makes sense. :)

This isn't me but it is what I love to do. Water in general puts me in a spiritual mood. Doesn't matter if its swimming, canoeing, boogie boarding, sailing, whatever. For me, God is in the water.
I can totally relate. Being at the beach or on boats, I feel my most spiritual (and pagan :D). However, I live about 90 or something miles away from the nearest beach or seaside resort. :(

chinu

chinu
Tell Others and Force Others. :D
People "Tell others" and "Force Others" to join their belief's -- to strengthen their own faith or to honor their own belief's.:shrug:

_/\_
Chinu

Trey of Diamonds

I can totally relate. Being at the beach or on boats, I feel my most spiritual (and pagan :D). However, I live about 90 or something miles away from the nearest beach or seaside resort. :(

I rarely live close to the beach and I sometimes wonder if the distance enhances the feeling.