• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you consider would be impossible to believe?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Victor said:
Couldn't Ted Bundy or Charles Manson say the same? If such a subjective thing as "hurt" is the only reason one can use, then I don't see why can't interpret "hurt"as they see fit. :shrug:

I have no idea what you mean and how it relates to what I personally can and cannot believe.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
NordicBearskin said:
@Victor: I know you weren't talking to me, but could you clarify what you meant above?

Anything personal is by no means untainted by bias, presuppositions, emotions, etc. So why would you attempt to align the world to your own bias, without considering that your bias is what is wrong?

Quiddity

Maize said:

I have no idea what you mean and how it relates to what I personally can and cannot believe.

I was not questioning why you can or cannot believe as you do, but rather why you do believe as you do. I hope you see the difference. See above.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Victor said:
Anything personal is by no means untainted by bias, presuppositions, emotions, etc. So why would you attempt to align the world to your own bias, without considering that your bias is what is wrong?
So we should just ignore personal experience? See, that is what I cannot accept: The idea that someone else tells me what I should believe and feel and how to act even if those things are contrary to my experience and what I feel is right.

blueman

God's Warrior
Fluffy said:
Impossible for me personally? An omnipotent God :). He can't show me evidence that he can nullify logic without also nullifying the point of showing me that evidence ;).

I will believe anything if:
a) I want to
or b) I have a reason to

I think the same goes for most people.
But God said in His Word that "My ways are not your ways and my thoughts are not your thoughts". Your human logic could not comprehend the scope or potency of God's power.

Quiddity

Maize said:
So we should just ignore personal experience? See, that is what I cannot accept: The idea that someone else tells me what I should believe and feel and how to act even if those things are contrary to my experience and what I feel is right.

But why would you use feelings as a source for truth when it is but subject to personal experience? In otherwords, I could experience the same exact thing and "feel" something else.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Victor said:
But why would you use feelings as a source for truth when it is but subject to personal experience? In otherwords, I could experience the same exact thing and "feel" something else.

And I can think tomatoes are the best food and you think they are the most vile things ever... which of us is right? Who's wrong?

When it comes to down to personal truths, what else do I have other than personal experience to base it on?

Purple Thyme

I can't believe there is is a Divine Being that would only choose one group of people to be correct in their belief and condemn the rest of humanity.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Victor said:
Anything personal is by no means untainted by bias, presuppositions, emotions, etc.
Indeed.

So why would you attempt to align the world to your own bias, without considering that your bias is what is wrong?
I wouldn't, and now I'm really confuzzled. I don't think I've implied that I attempt to 'align the world' according to my personal morality, which I'm well aware is subjective, flawed and impermanent.

I'm re-reading over your posts trying to figure out how to reply. :) I think it's fair to say that I would have a very difficult time holding faith in any religion which ran directly counter to my ethics. That doesn't mean, however, that I hold those ethics to be somehow infallible simply because they're mine, nor does it mean that I would consider those religions that disagree with me on these issues to be automatically inferior.

I presumed this question was asking what I would find impossible to believe in, which by it's very nature is a personal question. (I think)

(I'm still not sure I understood what you meant though... :eek:)

Quiddity

Maize said:
And I can think tomatoes are the best food and you think they are the most vile things ever... which of us is right? Who's wrong?
Does it matter in this case? I wouldn't really care and I'm sure you wouldn't either.
Maize said:
When it comes to down to personal truths, what else do I have other than personal experience to base it on?
You can use the sciences, philosophy, psychology, etc. You grab these and apply them to your experiences. That is a start. This is by no means easy or a short process though.

Quiddity

NordicBearskin said:
I wouldn't, and now I'm really confuzzled. I don't think I've implied that I attempt to 'align the world' according to my personal morality, which I'm well aware is subjective, flawed and impermanent.
I have no idea if it's flawed or not. It may be right.:shrug:
NordicBearskin said:
I'm re-reading over your posts trying to figure out how to reply. :) I think it's fair to say that I would have a very difficult time holding faith in any religion which ran directly counter to my ethics. That doesn't mean, however, that I hold those ethics to be somehow infallible simply because they're mine, nor does it mean that I would consider those religions that disagree with me on these issues to be automatically inferior.
Then do share how you digest new information and cause a change from within and correct any misconception you may have? Do you not have to be open to the possibility that your ethics are "wrong"?

Hope that clarifies things. :)