1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you consider would be impossible to believe?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by royol, Jul 12, 2006.

1. royol

royol Member

Ratings:
    +10
    My understanding of being an Atheist means you do not believe in ANY Gods, and BTW, please read the 'Quote' below

The 'Quote' above gave rise to this thread.
    I was wondering if there was a point at which even the most
    religious person would say to themselves ' enough is enough ' even I can't believe that.

For the reasons given above, and as you are affronted when someone questions your sanity for believing in a God,
    so it is with me, I am affronted that you could even think me capable of believing in a God, to me it is like saying you think I am mad.

2. cardero

cardero Citizen Mod

Ratings:
    +1,665
    What do you consider would be impossible to believe?
    That a day will come when people would no longer have the ability or the freedom to believe.

3. royol

royol Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Amen to that.
    I don't think that will ever change because believing is only in the mind, and unless they can come up with 'thought' police people will always be free to believe what they want.

4. cardero

cardero Citizen Mod

Ratings:
    +1,665
    Which is where beliefs should reside until proven.

5. BucephalusBB

BucephalusBB ABACABB

Ratings:
    +655
    I find it impossible to believe that atheists go to hell

[insert whistling tune]

6. bigvindaloo

bigvindaloo Active Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I will believe anything you put to me Royol as long as you can justify it to me. That is the same as your position. However, others have different beliefs to mine (and yours). Are they valid? Psychologically they are as valid. What other criteria can you give for justifying belief? So evidence for belief amounts to belief: do you want external, observable criteria for belief? Good luck.

7. Simon Gnosis

Simon Gnosis Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I find it almost impossible to believe we exist!

Also

I find it impossible to believe a fractured world of competing nations is good for the future of our species.

And

I find it impossible to believe that there is any theistic doctrine in all space and time that is 100% empirical.

Lastly

I find it impossible to believe with regards to free will and destiny anything other than that you are the sum of all choices offered by the world.
    Sometimes the world offers you stony paths, but the spirit always wills the mind to select the next turning (choice) that leads upwards, and with each upward move the spirit becomes stronger.

• Like Like x 2
  8. stemann

stemann Time Bandit

Ratings:
    +101
    If there is enough evidence for something so that science says it is true (or very likely true), then it is no longer supernatural, it is classed as natural.

I don't think anything is impossible to believe- the mind is not completely logical when working things out.

9. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,638
    Religion:
    Mystics
    It is impossible for me to believe in the literal interpretation of myth.

10. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,638
    Religion:
    Mystics
    Supernatural and natural are not classifications that are mutually exclusive. Something can be both natural and supernatural at the same time.

It's like superpowers: Superman can have the normal powers we humans have and superpowers at the same time.

11. stemann

stemann Time Bandit

Ratings:
    +101
    Supernatural:
    1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
    2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.
    3. Of or relating to a deity.
    4. Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.
    5. Of or relating to the miraculous.
    If something violates or goes beyond natural forces, then it is not natural.

If you are talking about something being both natural and supernatural (like, for example, Jesus' divine and human elements) then it is the supernatural elements that cannot be defined by science, and so if they were, they would become "natural."

12. royol

royol Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Could someone give me an instance of the supernatural please, what would you say was supernatural?
    Real things, not superstition.

13. Radio Frequency X

Radio Frequency X World Leader Pretend

Ratings:
    +222
    I feel pretty much the same way. Once the gods start talking to me or I see them in person or I witness a miricle (or something supernatural) I'll believe they have some objective reality. But I see no reason to believe in something I have no objective experience of. What's the point? If I don't experience it, then believing it is real doesn't do me any good.

Until then, I'll continue to view the gods as being superstitions and functions of the things they correspond to. Until I have knowledge, I'm force to remain agnostic.

14. Comet

Comet Harvey Wallbanger

Ratings:
    +424
    There is lots of things I find impossible to believe, but none of that really has to do with religion. In a religious context? I could come up with a million different scenarios I would find impossible to believe.

15. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,638
    Religion:
    Mystics
    Well, I could play the dictionary game too, and quote one that says nothing about "existence outside the natural world" and includes a few more definitions, but that's never very helpful.

More useful for both us us if you just tell me what *you* think. :)

Something "beyond" nature need not be exclusive of nature, merely unexplainable in natural terms.

Something in being cannot be something else other than what it is; that goes for a thing as well as its "elements". If a thing has natural and supernatural "elements", and if the supernatural "elements" are the inexplicable bits, then they do not change their nature by us explaining the explicable bits.

If something is or "becomes" explicable, it never really was inexplicable.

16. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +33,087
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    One thing I find impossible is for a "truly loving" God that is capable of hate, wrath, and eternal judgement to exist.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Green Gaia

Green Gaia Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,920
    I cannot believe in a theology that claims to have a lock on the truth and discourages a personal search for truth.

I cannot believe in a theology that goes against logic, reason and scientific fact.

I cannot believe in a theology that goes against my personal morals, ethics and experience.

I cannot believe in a theology that says it's ancient holy texts are from a supernatural being and therefore must be taken literally.

I cannot believe in a theology that condemns those who do not believe it.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,638
    Religion:
    Mystics
    Depends, then, on what you consider to be superstition.

In some books, superstition is mistaking the natural for the supernatural, so that would leave you with no answer to your question.

19. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Couldn't Ted Bundy or Charles Manson say the same? If such a subjective thing as "hurt" is the only reason one can use, then I don't see why can't interpret "hurt"as they see fit. :shrug:

20. Mr. Hair

Mr. Hair Renegade Cavalcade

Ratings:
    +112
    *nods*

A far more eleoquent post then I could have ever managed. Fruballs!

@Victor: I know you weren't talking to me, but could you clarify what you meant above?