• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you consider would be impossible to believe?

royol

With lots of the different religions represented here, with their different beliefs, and doctrines, is there any one thing you would find impossible to believe?
as an Atheist I would say religious people will believe anything, but even I know that is not strictly true.

Fluffy

A fool
Impossible for me personally? An omnipotent God :). He can't show me evidence that he can nullify logic without also nullifying the point of showing me that evidence ;).

I will believe anything if:
a) I want to
or b) I have a reason to

I think the same goes for most people.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Fluffy said:
Impossible for me personally? An omnipotent God :). He can't show me evidence that he can nullify logic without also nullifying the point of showing me that evidence ;).
logic is a human invention, God has no need of logic....
I will believe anything if:
a) I want to
or b) I have a reason to

I think the same goes for most people.

ah yes, good ol' pragmatism! i agree, if i have a reason to believe something (ie, if i subjectively interprit an event as being a miracle, i will make certain conclusions from that interpritation)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
royol said:
With lots of the different religions represented here, with their different beliefs, and doctrines, is there any one thing you would find impossible to believe?
as an Atheist I would say religious people will believe anything, but even I know that is not strictly true.
I cannot conceivably believe that there is no God. It wouldn't matter how hard I was to try, and there is absolutely nothing anybody could do to convince me.

Fluffy

A fool
logic is a human invention, God has no need of logic....

Quite possibly :). But I don't have a want to believe in an omnipotent God and (as I demonstrated above) it is... not coherent to offer evidence in support of the illogical. Therefore, it is impossible for me to believe in an omnipotent God.

ah yes, good ol' pragmatism! i agree, if i have a reason to believe something (ie, if i subjectively interprit an event as being a miracle, i will make certain conclusions from that interpritation)
*grins* pretty much :).

I cannot conceivably believe that there is no God. It wouldn't matter how hard I was to try, and there is absolutely nothing anybody could do to convince me.

What if God came down and told you he didn't exist ;).

Ahem just to use this comment for my own purposes... I view God coming and giving me evidence for his omnipotence similarly incoherent as God giving me evidence for his nonexistence.

standing_on_one_foot

I would find it very difficult to believe, for example, that 2+2=5. But beyond that (and maybe even that, who knows), I figure people can believe just about anything.

mattp

royol said:

I have a question. Being an Athiest, why dont you have a hard time believing in God?

pandamonk

Scientology! And, i speak for myself mattp, it's not so much that i have a hard time believing in God, it's just that there is absolutely no evidence, which i have personally come across, for the existence of a monotheistic god. Also the most widely used definition of God is logically contradictory, and I have read many arguments for the non-existence of God. The definition of God is a logical impossibility and therefore i will/can not believe it.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
royol said:

I find it impossible to believe anything that contradicts something else I believe to be true. :sorry1: Not what you were looking for, I know.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Radio Frequency X said:
I find it impossible to believe anything that contradicts something else I believe to be true. :sorry1: Not what you were looking for, I know.

:claps: Excellent answer.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
royol said:
as an Atheist I would say religious people will believe anything...

Perhaps you didn't mean it this way, but your choice of words here would seem to imply that you believe you are speaking for all atheists. There is a huge diversity of thought between atheists, and no one person represents all atheists.

BTW, I think the notion that religious people will believe anything is either superficial and shallow, or so vague as to be practically meaningless. Could you restate your thought in such a way that it makes some sense?

gnostic

The Lost One
Since this thread is addressed to the theists, and me being not theist (or atheist), I will just say that I have difficulty in believing in the existence of God and Satan, angels and demons. I also have difficulty to miracles and prophecies; the later being too easy and open to intrepretation.

I can accept universal teaching of morals and some of their laws, because some of them can be universally accepted. It is the more unnatural events that I have the hardest time to accept.

sparc872

I will believe just about anything if there is enough compelling evidence to show it is true. To this date, I have failed to find enough evidence in support of any religion that believes in the supernatural. So, for me right now, I am going to say that I cannot believe in the supernatural. This is liable to change, and I am not saying it doesn't exist, but my current understanding of the universe and the evidence I have been provided prohibit the existence of such things.