• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you consider as best solution?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Lets say youwas walking down a street and suddenly a person run toward you and punch you in the face.

What do you consider as best way out. Punch back or just shake it off and walk away?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Well I know what Ray would do...
Walk it off...
But I'm not ray...
I would punch back...
Not the best soluation...
but that's what I would do...
-Linda.

Daemon Sophic

If he didn't take me by surprise, then I would try to block his attack, and likely pin him for police pick-up.

Strangers running around attacking people is a threat not just to me, but to others. What if this crazy guy decided that for his next trick he was going to run up to that woman carrying a baby, and punch the baby's head?

No. He must be removed as the threat to human safety that he is.
By "removed", I mean incapacitated until he sobers up, or otherwise comes back to his senses. If this means spend a night in jail, or in the mental hospital, or pinned to the ground, or lying in a hospital bed with several broken limbs......that would be up to him, and my access to calling the police.

I would try not to permanently maim him or kill him. I would not have anger/hatred toward him. After he was secured by whatever means, then I would probably just walk away, shaking my head about how crazy humans can be. :(:rolleyes:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Lets say youwas walking down a street and suddenly a person run toward you and punch you in the face.
What do you consider as best way out. Punch back or just shake it off and walk away?

There is nothing wrong/inferior in defending yourself.
There is something wrong in pretending that "not reacting" is the "better and more spiritual way"

It is a punishable offence, so best is to hand the person over to the police and let justice prevail

If you are too weak a person not able to defend yourself, but a fast runner then run away if you can
If you are too weak a person not able to defend yourself, but a good shouter then shout for help
If you are too weak a person not able to defend yourself, but a good masochist then take the beating

Many people, in the name of spirituality, pretend to be non-violent and that non-violence is the better choice. But in reality they are too weak to defend themselves and rely on the help of others. The first lesson my Master gave me was "Help yourself". So if you are too weak, develop some muscle. And with my Master you never get away with "giving a nice spiritual answer disguising the reality ... I am too weak to defend myself".

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There is nothing wrong/inferior in defending yourself.
There is something wrong in pretending that "not reacting" is the "better and more spiritual way"

It is an punishable offence, so best is to hand the person over to the police and let justice prevail

If you are too weak a person not able to defend yourself, but a fast runner then run away if you can
If you are too weak a person not able to defend yourself, but a good shouter then shout for help
If you are too weak a person not able to defend yourself, but a good masochist then take the beating

Many people, in the name of spirituality, pretend to be non-violent and that non-violence is the better choice. But in reality they are too weak to defend themselves and rely on the help of others. The first lesson my Master gave me was "Help yourself". So if you are too weak, develop some muscle. And with my Master you never get away with "giving a nice spiritual answer disguising the reality ... I am too weak to defend myself".
I would not call my self weak,nor am i not able to defend my self if i wanted to, but i see no need to put my hand on him. as long i do not touch him back he is the one who will suffer karmic repayment

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd call the police and get them arrested for assault. They're going to pay the bill for my broken nose.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'd look around to get a sense of my surroundings.

There are exercises in my martial arts discipline where an attack by one person is meant as a ploy: either they expect you to leap back from a feint into range of the second attacker waiting behind you, or they're trying to lure you to a spot where a group will jump you.

That's where my mind would go first for an unprovoked attack.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Depends on if they kept punching.

Assuming probably not for your scenario, I'd likely act like it didn't phase me and wait to see what they did next.

rocala

I have some problems with this post.

1. If we call it deterrence instead of revenge, does this make a difference?

2. Why do you assume that there is a "way out". Weakness, or actions perceived as such, can result in far more suffering than your very simplified idea of "revenge".

3. "as long i do not touch him back he is the one who will suffer karmic repayment" Sounds like a form of revenge to me. You could touch him back and free him from bad karma - now that would be something.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

2. Why do you assume that there is a "way out". Weakness, or actions perceived as such, can result in far more suffering than your very simplified idea of "revenge".

3. "as long i do not touch him back he is the one who will suffer karmic repayment" Sounds like a form of revenge to me. You could touch him back and free him from bad karma - now that would be something.

You just gave the best argument for capital punishment I have ever heard: "We're not killing this monster, we're just releasing him from his Bad Karma..". This should be on a plaque in every courthouse in the land.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

1: You can call it what you wish if the OP did not feel right to you
2: If i was punched and did use my own force to punch back there will be harmful to both insted of only me getting a black eye from his punch. ( i have no reason to harm him but i do feel compassion toward them who want to harm me)
3:If i did punch him i would be the one who stuck with the bad karma and he would get my virtue. as long i dont do anything toward him the suffering end right away, but he migh have pain in his fist

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a trick question because it asks for the response in advance of the instigating event. We cannot know the answer. The response will be circumstantial, and we can't know those circumstances in advance of their occurrence.

Last edited:

rocala

You just gave the best argument for capital punishment I have ever heard: "We're not killing this monster, we're just releasing him from his Bad Karma..". This should be on a plaque in every courthouse in the land.
Hey, I'm only quoting.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Punching back will only encourage further aggression.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think the best answer was given by @Daemon Sophic.

To just walk away is to have no compassion for the next person that he will run to and also punch in the face. To do nothing for the next person is likened to "bad karma" and one would eventually pay for that.