• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do You Believe?

Azrael Antilla

This is a perfect example of dehumanizing the perceived "enemy". It makes them easier to hate because, hey, they aren't human. Their rats. Their wicked. They deserve it.
Precisely. I oppose capital punishment for all crimes, because even the most vile murderer is a human being, and fundamental human rights, like the right to life, should be un conditional universal and inviolable. No one is a 'Rat'.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
People are people and have inherent dignity. They aren't rats.
Yes, unless damaged, a person comes equipped with in in-born conscience ( compass guide ) .
To me there is a difference in being a literal rat and acting like a rat. Who lives in a house filled with rats ?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
No, I only saw what happened and listened to what took place.
Both women were nicely dressed but notice the difference in applying Genesis 1:28 to care for Earth.
Whether willfully ignorant or not, common sense should show to use the recycle bin. Not deliberately use the trash bin and smiling laugh about it and say it does Not matter.

Of course it's common sense. Interpretations of bible texts has nothing to do with it.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Yes, unless damaged, a person comes equipped with in in-born conscience ( compass guide ) .
To me there is a difference in being a literal rat and acting like a rat. Who lives in a house filled with rats ?

Even "damaged" people aren't rats. They need help. They need compassion.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Precisely. I oppose capital punishment for all crimes, because even the most vile murderer is a human being, and fundamental human rights, like the right to life, should be un conditional universal and inviolable. No one is a 'Rat'.
Many are opposed to capital punishment (many politicians) but I find there is a BIG difference between: killing, murder and an 'execution for the sake of justice' for the innocent or righteous one.
If a person won't stop murdering others why should people look the other way and think that person deserves life.
If there is justice for other crimes, then why Not justice for wilfully taking another's life __________
( I am Not speaking about cases of doubt, but where there is No doubt by more than one witness to the crime )

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Many are opposed to capital punishment (many politicians) but I find there is a BIG difference between: killing, murder and an 'execution for the sake of justice' for the innocent or righteous one.
If a person won't stop murdering others why should people look the other way and think that person deserves life.
If there is justice for other crimes, then why Not justice for wilfully taking another's life __________
( I am Not speaking about cases of doubt, but where there is No doubt by more than one witness to the crime )

What sense does it make to kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?

There are many reasons why I oppose the death penalty, but that's for another thread.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

You don't think 2 people guilty of a crime are not capable of framing an innocent person to avoid punishment?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Of course it's common sense. Interpretations of bible texts has nothing to do with it.
How do you interpret Genesis 1:28 ______ is it interpret, or is it to understand, or to comprehend_________
Reading comprehension as to what is written there.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
How do you interpret Genesis 1:28 ______ is it interpret, or is it to understand, or to comprehend_________
Reading comprehension as to what is written there.

I don't use my interpretations of ancient texts to decide what is right and wrong. Trying to subdue the earth is the problem.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You don't think 2 people guilty of a crime are not capable of framing an innocent person to avoid punishment?
That is why I stressed witnesses as in plural besides whatever other evidence is known.
Sure we live in a corrupted society as described at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13 but who would want to live without law ____
I suppose one could say the corrupted-religious leaders of Jesus day framed Jesus.
The 71 members of the Sanhedrin held an illegal night-time trial to frame Jesus.
The used trumped-up charges of sedition, treason and injured majesty, so yes people (more than 2) can frame another.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
To me there is a BIG difference between killing and deliberate murder. Murder is wrong in God's eyes.

And by killing someone on death row, you are participating in murder. There is no way to justify it, unless of course, we go back to dehumanizing people again. If the person on death row is a monster, well, we won't feel so bad murdering them.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes .. and that includes what we envisage as "the future" too.
We say that something "hasn't happened yet", but that would
be relative to the observer.

The "infinite" observer [ God ] knows all. :)

Time is a component quantity of various measurements used to sequence events, to compare the duration of events or the intervals between them, and to quantify rates of change of quantities in material reality or in the conscious experience.
-wiki Time-

..not to be confused with the definition in Physics..

Time in physics is defined by its measurement: time is what a clock reads..
In the International System of Units (SI), the unit of time is the second. It is a SI base unit, and has been defined since 1967 as "the duration of 9,192,631,770 [cycles] of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom".

-wiki Time in physics-

We need to be careful as we have defined time, so we might end up with a "circular argument" of how space and time might be related. Time has long been an important subject of study in religion, philosophy, and science, but defining it in a manner applicable to all fields without circularity has consistently eluded scholars.
I believe that God is mightier than time is. All that was, is, and will be, is already realized by God and is all that we are and ever will be. Ecclesiastes 3:15

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This thread has gone off-topic and turned into a debate. Being that this is in a discussion forum debating is not allowed.
If anyone wants to continue this debate please create a separate thread in one of the debates forums.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes. With regard to intellectual and linguistic development. In particular.
I don't know - no real knowledge other than any normal interest in such - but it seems that we are still finding evidence as to how they might have lived during such times and as to what this means for their capabilities - even as to language development - given such a dearth of evidence that could point in one direction or another. I'm currently reading The Dawn of Everything by Graeber and Wengrow, and where they appear to be (or want to be) upsetting apple-carts left, right, and centre, :oops:

Azrael Antilla

On a separate thread about capital punishment, if there is one. I will at some point lay out my objections to it's application. In the future.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I believe that intellect can only come from intellect thus we are eternal. I believe there must be a foundational reality that is infinite and eternal. I believe everything of this existence had an absolute beginning. I believe our existence is finite and won't last forever. I believe that something cannot come from absolute nothing. I believe that evolution only explains natural behaviour, but cannot explain the existence of intellect in nature. I believe that life is a mystery with no loving God at the helm. I believe purely physical explanations are not explanatory at all. Science only explains the how of physical behaviour. Why questions are philosophical. I don't see the point in arguing that.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And by killing someone on death row, you are participating in murder....................
Since you mentioned 'death row', about 20 years ago (don't know about now) statistics suggested that a death-row murderer was more likely to receive a death sentence if the victim was white than if the victim was black.
Since it is the world's governments responsibility to do as they wish, what they want, it is on them to either support or don't support capital punishment. This is social issue and a political issue outside of Jesus neutral stand.
I found a verse at Ecclesiastes 8:4 that the word of the king is the power of control. Because the word of the king (political) is absolute; and who may say to the king, " What are you doing? "
So, God allows the world's 'kings'(political rulers) to carry out their own will, their own justice, we don't have to call them to task because they answer to God who in the 'final justice' for crimes and for every abuse of 'the sword' in this system.