• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you believe in without having any evidence of?

Spiral Galaxy

///\oo/\\\
Is there anything that you believe while at the same time knowing that you have no basis for believing it other than being told by someone else that it was so?
I cannot believe something only on the basis of being told by someone else. The instant I am told something, my decision to believe it will always be influenced by my prior understanding of reality and my innate skepticism.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I cannot believe something only on the basis of being told by someone else. The instant I am told something, my decision to believe it will always be influenced by my prior understanding of reality and my innate skepticism.
I don't know how that can be. Does one question that 1 + 1 = 2? Granted not all the things taught are true but usually that is figured out somehwere along the line. However I believe one ought to be skeptical of inveterate liars, politicians and people proposing a new religion.

Spiral Galaxy

///\oo/\\\
I don't know how that can be. Does one question that 1 + 1 = 2?
I think perhaps I was not being clear. I did not mean that I choose not to believe only on the basis of being told by someone else, I mean that I cannot stop myself from considering the statement in the context of my own memories and experiences and making a judgement as whether to accept/reject. Naturally I do not question that 1 + 1 =2 as it matches perfectly with my memory and experience.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I think perhaps it does matter what you believe. Belief informs action and actions have consequences.

Yes, of course but that wasn't what I was saying. Even if you have the most innocent, innocuous beliefs, if those beliefs are factually incorrect, they are incorrect, regardless of how your beliefs make you feel. There are a lot of beliefs that are potentially dangerous because, as you said, our beliefs inform our actions and do impact how people think, how they act and how they vote.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes, of course but that wasn't what I was saying. Even if you have the most innocent, innocuous beliefs, if those beliefs are factually incorrect, they are incorrect, regardless of how your beliefs make you feel. There are a lot of beliefs that are potentially dangerous because, as you said, our beliefs inform our actions and do impact how people think, how they act and how they vote.

Right, this is what your concern about religions really consist of. I understand and can work with it.

However we can't necessarily understand or determine how what they believe will affect their actions. We can only deal with the actual actions. We do this by passing laws. So attacking their beliefs in the hopes of causing others to vote the way you think they should.

My position is closest to Hinduism I think. All this is illusion. The reality of dualism, nothing exist outside the subjective experience. Which means as far as I am concerned, your acceptance on an objective reality is incorrect yet does your belief in if affect the way you vote?

What does effect the way you vote? I believe in compassion. Don't need an objective reality for that. It does surprise me though, Jesus, who I think taught compassion, so why would Christians pass laws against their fellow man? If they believe homosexuality a sin, didn't Jesus teach to have compassion for the sinner?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I don't have evidence for extraterrestrial life, but I'm convinced it exists. Not talking about UFOs and gray/green martians, but microbes and such, or perhaps even intelligent life on some distant planet, unreachable for us.