• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you believe in without having any evidence of?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Is there anything that you believe while at the same time knowing that you have no basis for believing it other than being told by someone else that it was so?
So many things it'd take too much of my time to list, but a taster;

That the Earth orbits the Sun
That brocolli contains iron
Japan
The speed of light
That human flesh tastes like pork
That you are a Christian

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
My first thought was that the Title and the OP aren't exactly the same question.

My second thought was that there are things that I accept have been proven, by others, without proving them myself. I put these in a different category than things I believe in without proof (evidence of). The latter category is quite small, and believe is probably too strong a term. There are things that I am agnostic about, without evidence or proof; but I can't truly say that I believe them (or believe in them) wholeheartedly.

codebar

I have great hope, that the most deviant individuals that have ever exhisted, can and will become goodly, and divine, with proper instruction and genuine enlightenment. Even though one may say that a devil, can not become goodly and just, I have faith that they not only can, but that they will.

It is said, that adulterous and pompous people, have exhibited by their actions, non-action, deeds, and mis deeds, that they require a SIGN. I agree with this. In fact, these events are in motion, as we speak. Being impoverished, abused and disabled, by the mobs and their servants, I of course, can not actually see what is taking place. Never the less, the immense static in the atmosphere, proves to me, that although there is not the type of proof that my abusers demand, in order that they will stop their unrighteous domination, and illicit jurisdiction over me and other helpless innocent individuals, I still, to this day, have complete faith, in the fate, that is systematically taking place unto my enemies, which will restore unto The Righteous, The Genuine and Most Powerful Law.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
I do not "believe" anything just because someone else says so.
Be they expert, PHD, major world institution, whatever.

If I cannot self evidence enough of a thing/idea for myself,
it remains (for me) only a thing/idea that other people hold as truth.
May be true? May not.
But I do not believe it just because economists, scientists, professors etc
say it.

I will evidence deeper (or not) what I "am told" in certain areas,
as my own personal life draws me into those areas,
by need, or syncronicity, or curiosity.
But out of sheer lack of time,
and amount of "stuff" to evidence....
I will leave this earth with only a very small bag of "beliefs".

So no, I do not "believe" anything at all, just because someone says.

I evidence the world, the world at large, and my personal reality for my own self.

As a Magickian though, I do often suspend "disbelief" for the sake of a transformation.
But still... neither is this belief.

Last edited:

Rolling_Stone

Is there anything that you believe while at the same time knowing that you have no basis for believing it other than being told by someone else that it was so?
A lot. Someone who thinks their life is centered around what they know rather than what they believe hasn't seriously considered the nature of life.

There is something pathological about the demand for evidence, and I've seen it argued that it is the result of fear, the fear of uncertainty and the fear of being wrong. It's a total and unhealthy dependency on the tangible. Here's an article about pathological skepticism.

There's a lot of it in RF and it's especially prevalent among those who take pride in their "objectivity" and reasoning skills. According to Wikipedia, Marcello Truzzi attributed the following characteristics to pathological skeptics or what he called "pseudoskeptics":
  • The tendency to deny, rather than doubt
  • Double standards in the application of criticism
  • The making of judgments without full inquiry
  • Tendency to discredit, rather than investigate]
  • Use of ridicule or ad hominem attacks in lieu of arguments [belief in God is irrational]
  • Pejorative labeling of proponents as 'promoters', 'pseudoscientists' or practitioners of 'pathological science.'
  • Presenting insufficient evidence or proof
  • Assuming criticism requires no burden of proof
  • Making unsubstantiated counter-claims
  • Counter-claims based on plausibility rather than empirical evidence
  • Suggesting that unconvincing evidence is grounds for dismissing it
There are seven warning signs. Take the Big Bang you mentioned in another thread, for example. Many argue as if it or some other origin-theory is a viable alternative to the God-theory. Maybe, but the evidence is not empirical like they claim. All are mathematical extrapolations drawn from less than a nanosecond's (relatively speaking) worth of observations.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A lot. Someone who thinks their life is centered around what they know rather than what they believe hasn't seriously considered the nature of life.

When you receive some new piece of information, how do you decide whether to accept it as true? The question wasn't whether we have beliefs that aren't empirically-based, it was whether they're based on anything at all.

Our beliefs and prior experiences can and do shape the viewpoint we use to judge new ideas. Whether this viewpoint is founded on bedrock or sand, it does exist.

There is something pathological about the demand for evidence, and I've seen it argued that it is the result of fear, the fear of uncertainty and the fear of being wrong. It's a total and unhealthy dependency on the tangible. Here's an article about pathological skepticism.
I find it odd that you would paint lack of automatic acceptance of claims without support as "pathological". Is that what you're trying to do?

BTW - "belief in God is irrational" is not an ad hominem. In the form you gave it, it's a baseless assertion, but it's not an ad hominem.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I've been thinking about your very interesting question. I believe in lots of things without having any more evidence than someone elses word. These are all things that I don't really care about or that I am not really interested in.
Everything that I believe in which is important to me I have a basis for believing in. Whether or not my basis for belief would be acceptable to anyone else is a different matter entirely.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I believe that my favorite race car driver is one of the best drivers out there. He has a good car and a good pit crew, but I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that he will be a winner this year. :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I've been thinking about your very interesting question. I believe in lots of things without having any more evidence than someone elses word. These are all things that I don't really care about or that I am not really interested in.
Everything that I believe in which is important to me I have a basis for believing in. Whether or not my basis for belief would be acceptable to anyone else is a different matter entirely.
Booya. Futhermore, someone's else's word exists in the form "someone else's word".

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I can think of a lot of things that people have told me and I have believed.

I watched once a show about Lizzie Borden to find out that there was no evidence whatsoever that she hacked up her parents- none whatsoever. I found that surprising since I had always taken for granted that she was guilty. That is one incidence.

I was told about people before I ever met them. They were described to me and there descriptions were usually pretty accurate when I finally did meet them. That's two.

I was told about homes I had never seen, too.

I could go on and on but I might bore you guys. ;)

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Greetings Tomspug. An intriguing question. What is your answer and why do you ask? :)

For my own case there would seem to be little that is believed just because someone tells me. At a minimum, that believed is supported by some judgement based upon my own being and its perspective at the time. If no judgement can be made as to acceptance or rejection by me then it is just registered as likely or not likely awaiting future determination if important.

Regards
a..1

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is interesting that you slide from "evidence of" to "basis for" - as if the two meant the same thing thing. So, what are you really asking? And, why?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
There is something pathological about the demand for evidence, and I've seen it argued that it is the result of fear, the fear of uncertainty and the fear of being wrong. It's a total and unhealthy dependency on the tangible....

There's a lot of it in RF and it's especially prevalent among those who take pride in their "objectivity" and reasoning skills. ...

Take the Big Bang you mentioned in another thread, for example. Many argue as if it or some other origin-theory is a viable alternative to the God-theory. Maybe, but the evidence is not empirical like they claim. All are mathematical extrapolations drawn from less than a nanosecond's (relatively speaking) worth of observations.

I believe that some members on RF are pathologically drawn to self flagellation and martyrdom - even though I've never met them.

Then again, the evidence supporting that belief is overwhelming.

needle

Actually, I truly believe that this is a planet of the lost tribes. Their ways and means, are completely alien to me, therefore, they must be the aliens, that have been spoken of. One thing is for certain, I want a full refund, from the Intra- Birthright Travel Agency. I am certain, that I have been Birthed to the Wrong Planet!!!!!

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Actually, I truly believe that this is a planet of the lost tribes. Their ways and means, are completely alien to me, therefore, they must be the aliens, that have been spoken of. One thing is for certain, I want a full refund, from the Intra- Birthright Travel Agency. I am certain, that I have been Birthed to the Wrong Planet!!!!!
Do the aliens use excessive commas? If so, I may have news for you...