• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you as a person gain from it?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Isn't it in the nature of criticism to judge? What would you consider non-judgemental criticism?

A person asks me to critique their writing ... so I give them my honest feedback. Yes it's judging in a sense, but there is no emotion involved. I thought Windwalker explained the difference between critique and criticise well earlier in this thread.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you as a person gain from making negative criticism of other people's religions or worldviews?
Is it important for you to get your own opinion and view across?

Or is your criticism a sign of being curious but not knowing how to ask so both you and the one you question can feel good about the discussion?
If I see a worldview, which, if widely follow will lead to increase in human suffering then giving a negative criticism of it would be my ethical duty.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
What do you as a person gain from making negative criticism of other people's religions or worldviews?

Or is your criticism a sign of being curious but not knowing how to ask so both you and the one you question can feel good about the discussion?

I feel it is very important to separate this into two different things:

1) Criticism intended to ridicule and demean others.

2) Criticism to show the flaws in ideas and reasoning.

They are two completely different things.
I try to stay far as much as possible from #1, while on the other hand I love doing #2.

My reason is simple: I feel one of the biggest things we should seek on this life is to move away from ignorance. So whenever I am criticizing something I am either making someone else wiser by pointing out the flaws they hadn't seen before, and/or I am making myself wiser by being able to hear others criticizing my views. Both ways works for me.

I feel one of the worst things that humans could do with their lives is to stay inside a room only listening to the echo of their own voices.

To have your views confronted might be painful at first, but that's how we grow up. Don't be afraid to grow up.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I try to stay far as much as possible from #1, while on the other hand I love doing #2.

My reason is simple: I feel one of the biggest things we should seek on this life is to move away from ignorance. So whenever I am criticizing something I am either making someone else wiser by pointing out the flaws they hadn't seen before, and/or I am making myself wiser by being able to hear others criticizing my views. Both ways works for me.

I feel one of the worst things that humans could do with their lives is to stay inside a room only listening to the echo of their own voices.

To have your views confronted might be painful at first, but that's how we grow up. Don't be afraid to grow up.
Personally, I have my teacher who confronts me at times.

But I do see your point in the rest of you answer too. thank you for sharing your view of the OP :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Nothing should be above reproach. Otherwise you get the abuse of the “proletariat.”
My views should similarly be critiqued. It’s how they become robust.
In saying that though, I mostly try to avoid being too negative about religion of others. That’s none of my business. Politics tend to affect me too so I wade into that a bit more eagerly

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Nothing
Yes

Is criticism a sign of being curious but not knowing how to ask so both you and the one you question can feel good about the discussion?
No

I know a couple of religions which I believe would be very dangerous if they gained or regained power on countries. I debate them vigorously

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Why do any of us come to a discussion forum? I think some aren't really here to discuss, but to teach (or preach). Such people bristle at being disagreed with in any manner.

I come because I like to think about ideas, I like to practice critical thinking skills, and I also enjoy surveying the kinds of responses I see and making generalizations about human psychology. Where else can I get these types of discussions? Who else will go on for days and weeks discussing a single point with you, or as candidly? The anonymity and separation is what makes this activity pretty risk-free compared to having the same discussions at work or around the Thanksgiving table?

Getting back to exercising critical thinking skills, one of them is identifying logical errors. A poster recently accused those who call others' words illogical arrogant for making such pronunciations and accused them of trying to show that they are superior for some unwholesome purpose. That person has no concept of what these other people are actually doing or why. It's not a battle of egos. It's exercise for the mind, like and editor looking for flaws in writing. It's not about a sense of superiority or making the other person wrong. It's about proper form in writing, or in a logical argument.

You have made a lot of progress going from somebody who took dissent or criticism personally and was hurt by it, to somebody entirely different, somebody who actually invites criticism now with some trepidation, but recognizing the exercise as potentially beneficial. I think it's about the time you went from Falun Gong to Sufi. I don't know if that's a factor or not. That really is the spirit of these discussions for me.

Are we talking about critiquing other belief systems, or critizing them? There is a different meaning to these words:

Critique

a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.

Criticize

indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way.
"technicians were criticized for defective workmanship"

Of course, both are called criticism even though they are very different things, such as literary criticism versus harsh criticism. One of those meanings is synonymous with critique, the other not.

But to answer the question in this language, I am here for critique.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why do any of us come to a discussion forum? I think some aren't really here to discuss, but to teach (or preach). Such people bristle at being disagreed with in any manner.

I come because I like to think about ideas, I like to practice critical thinking skills, and I also enjoy surveying the kinds of responses I see and making generalizations about human psychology. Where else can I get these types of discussions? Who else will go on for days and weeks discussing a single point with you, or as candidly? The anonymity and separation is what makes this activity pretty risk-free compared to having the same discussions at work or around the Thanksgiving table?

Getting back to exercising critical thinking skills, one of them is identifying logical errors. A poster recently accused those who call others' words illogical arrogant for making such pronunciations and accused them of trying to show that they are superior for some unwholesome purpose. That person has no concept of what these other people are actually doing or why. It's not a battle of egos. It's exercise for the mind, like and editor looking for flaws in writing. It's not about a sense of superiority or making the other person wrong. It's about proper form in writing, or in a logical argument.

You have made a lot of progress going from somebody who took dissent or criticism personally and was hurt by it, to somebody entirely different, somebody who actually invites criticism now with some trepidation, but recognizing the exercise as potentially beneficial. I think it's about the time you went from Falun Gong to Sufi. I don't know if that's a factor or not. That really is the spirit of these discussions for me.

Of course, both are called criticism even though they are very different things, such as literary criticism versus harsh criticism. One of those meanings is synonymous with critique, the other not.

But to answer the question in this language, I am here for critique.
When I started the journey into Sufism, I found my spiritual home :) So yes this last year has been more fruitful to me as a spiritual person than the first years of spiritual life. My spiritual journey started at the age between 15 and 20 years of age. and now I am 44 and have found home :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It does harm people.

Sexist, racist, homophobic, anti-science beliefs are harmful.

When priests stop molesting children, and schools can teach science, and men do not consider themselves the head of women, and all families are respected....
Those who harm should be given to the police, which I agree upon, but is there a reason to blame religion? isn't it the humans who do the wrong action?

idea

Question Everything
Those who harm should be given to the police, which I agree upon, but is there a reason to blame religion? isn't it the humans who do the wrong action?

Most religions have a male God, male leadership, are sexist at their core. Male heirarchies protect pedophiles, require forgiveness not justice, harbor abuse. Just my experience, and the experience of so many others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Most religions have a male God, male leadership, are sexist at their core. Male heirarchies protect pedophiles, require forgiveness not justice, harbor abuse. Just my experience, and the experience of so many others.
I could be wrong but I don't think God has a gender :) but I do understand what you speak of. And your concern

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I usually work on the assumption that anyone who posts on the debate boards of a public site is looking for debate.

Debate, for me, is a good means for getting ideas sorted.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You don't gain from it except in the next world and with God's closeness in this world, while you sacrifice love, reputation, and honor in people's eyes in this world.

Clara Tea

The world is messed up. Homeless people, crime, pollution, global warming, wars, torture camps, etc.

The Religious Right has been working feverishly to put their leaders in power. Ostensibly, they want peace, not war. So what went wrong?

Why did President W. Bush try to shut down the port of Los Angeles, and making a port in Mexico to exploit cheap foreign labor? Wasn't shutting down car production in Detroit, so cars could be made in other nations to exploit cheap foreign labor an omen of what would become of the rest of the nation?
I estimate that there are about a 50/50 break between those who critique with an interested question and those simply are out to steal, kill and destroy (metaphor) - the problem is that those out for the destroy are more vocal.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Aren't theists responsible for most of the wars? (Thou shalt not kill....turn the other cheek). Look at the longest war in history...the war in Iraq....that was started because the 911 attack was handy to blame another (unrelated) Arab nation. The president (W. Bush) bore false witness against a neighbor (accused them of being terrorists, lied about Uranium yellow cake from Niger (to take over the peaceful nation of Niger, as well). W. Bush and Dick Cheney sent Wilson to Niger to tell lies to motivate war. When Wilson refused tell lies and start an unprovoked war, they ratting out Plame (Wilson's CIA wife), causing Plame's embedded CIA agent friends to get assassinated. (Please google Plame and Wilson).

W. Bush's dad and Reagan created the Iran Contra scandal, selling narcotics from the Medellin drug cartel of Colombia using Manuel Noriega (a man who used to sell narcotics to W. Bush's dad for use at the CIA, where he worked, for Project MKULTA. The Iran Contra scandal, behind the back of Congress, supported a brutal Contra dictator who hurt his own people, including women and children, and fought the Sandinistas who merely wanted educations for their kids (who were exploited at young ages in the fields, picking vegetables), and wanted living wages (they were starving).

Aren't most Mafia members highly Catholic?

Aren't most graffiti vandals Catholic? They also vandalize, and in high crime neighborhoods, you'd be lucky to escape without getting knifed or shot.

If you are comparing someone who questions a religion to one who actually does crimes, I think you are getting confused. The good guys are not the ones who "think" that they are getting into heaven.

Interestingly, the bible is a good thing to use. But, those who tout themselves as Christians seldom use it.

The bible is misused to keep condoms from kids who need them to stay healthy. The bible is misused to abuse Gays.

Slave owners couldn't be bothered with Negros who were being beaten because they had to piously study the scriptures (portrayed on the TV miniseries, Roots, as they were whipping Kunta Kinte until he accepted the American name Toby).

Christians are telling people that bad people are telling lies about them, and trying to tear down their religion. Shouldn't they, instead, adhere to their own religion? Shouldn't boy raping priests admit what they have done, atone, and apologize? Shouldn't the Catholic church admit wrongdoing (hiding child molesting priests), and allowing them to continue molesting innocent little boys? Some of those raped boys grow up traumatized and become criminals. Shouldn't the Catholic church stop its bankruptcy proceedings so that some of its mammon could justly compensate its victims?

Lets set the record straight about who the villains are, and who the saints are. Lets set the record straight about those who hate atheists. (Is hatred one of God's virtues?)

Clara Tea

I think we benefit from criticism. Doesn't mean we always like it.
Still, seeing our beliefs from someone else's perspective may benefit our perspective as well.
Criticism....nobody likes....everyone needs.

Can we criticize God? That might be construed as blasphemy. Yet, why did God make a world of poop, and smells? Why not have zebras that fart daisy scent? The world grows in rotted former life (soil...carrion). Certainly God is displeased at times (Sodom...Noah's flood), and his wrath is severe and cruel (needs anger management). Perhaps the various races and colors of humans are not made in God's physical image, but perhaps our temperament is made in the image of God's temperament? (If so, what's this restriction "thou shalt not kill?") Can we criticize God for telling us not to covet our neighbor's wife while he cuckold Joseph (married to Mary) and had a baby with her (Jesus)? Do as I say, not as I do? What about leading by example?

Shall we believe that God is loving? God certainly doesn't seem loving if he has the power to stop cancer and doesn't answer prayers.

Why allow anyone to suffer and die? Why did God insist that his own son be tortured and die? Was it a learning experience that can only be understood if one went through that process?

Clara Tea

If I see a worldview, which, if widely follow will lead to increase in human suffering then giving a negative criticism of it would be my ethical duty.
How could we forestall another holocaust or Inquisition if we don't speak up?

Clara Tea

I have seen posts that laugh at atheists for not believing. I took their reasons and applied them to belief in the tooth fairy (or Santa, etc). I wasn't ridiculing them, I was merely showing them that their laughing and ridicule was misplaced. They could not stand to see their own logic and ridicule.

Atheists don't generally demean others. They just assert their point of view. In a free society, one that allows free speech, does one have the right to speak freely?

Theists don't want free speech. President W. Bush spied on everyone's phones illegally (google Eric Snowden). Emails were hacked, and the FBI made sure that software and hardware companies make phones and computers that were made to be hacked (that's part of the problem that we have with criminals today).

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong. Aren't theists responsible for most of the wars?

In that atheists represent maybe 3% (and that is recent, even less before)... shouldn't theists, by the nature of the percentages, automatically represent "most wars"?

However, didn't the 3% represent the most killed during wars?