• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do we look for?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
In our spiritual practice we are in search for something, But this can be different from teaching to teaching.
What do you search for in your practice?
Attaing peacefulness, compassion and an understanding of how the mind works and how to be in control of my own thinking. Then use those qualities to live the best life possible for myself and others. That is my practice.

sealchan

In our spiritual practice we are in search for something, But this can be different from teaching to teaching.

Finding the meaning and significance of my unique and lifelong particularities and interests. Finding my value to others and my weaknesses to protect and compensate for.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My answers are always based in the Theravada tradition of Buddhism, But yes some of my answers will be somewhat different then Book read theravada.

Because there are two ways to learn the dharma, the study only of scripture and the study of the scripture but also practicing the dharma in life. so one combine the two.
Those who follow only the scripture will gain little wisdom but those who cultivate both the scripture but also the way of life will gain deeper wisdom,
Are you saying the Yogacara and Mahayan streams of Buddhism are book-only Buddhists? I personally don't see any form of "book-only" religion without practices that opens someone to personal realization, is really on the path of awakening. It's much more than just the intellect. Intellectualizing the transcendent, is not transcendence. It could be argued, it's an avoidance of it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are you saying the Yogacara and Mahayan streams of Buddhism are book-only Buddhists? I personally don't see any form of "book-only" religion without practices that opens someone to personal realization, is really on the path of awakening. It's much more than just the intellect. Intellectualizing the transcendent, is not transcendence. It could be argued, it's an avoidance of it.
Ofcourse not :) Buddhist path can be practiced two ways, and some are very skilled in the knowing of the books, but not so good in practice and also the other way around.
And no i do not say any buddhist path is wrong or lesser then any other buddhist path

mickt

I'm in a 'theistic' religion. It's therefore, mystical, and Spiritual. It's multifaceted.

"Christianity" is a gigantic religious description, and there is quite a bit of variation. Ultimately, it is spiritual, though.
WHY DON'T ANY OF YOU CHRISTIANS ANSWER THIS?.....When you read the bible ..did you notice ..as i did...that the gospels are anonymous??.....and why do they not appear in history until 160ad??

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Ultimately I'm searching for the Self, God within man, nirvikalpa samadhi. But before a man can go on any kind of quest, he has to prepare himself. In Patanjali's famous Yoga Sutras, he speaks of the 8 stages, beginning with yamas, ending with samadhi. At this time, I'm very much working on the yamas. One cannot reach a mountain peak without climbing the foothills.

mickt

I don't search. I believe in my shepherd and the shepherd searches for me. He searches food for me and if I might get lost, he searches for me.

I believe that he is searching for the right substance of life. His name can be Jesus if you like that name. I hope to keep waiting for what he shall reveal.
THERE ARE NO EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS OF JESUS....SO WHO IS THIS SHEPHERD?