• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do the terms "spiritual" or "supernatural" mean?

Jos

What does it mean to say that someone or something is "spiritual" or "supernatural"?
"Spiritual" is usually defined by what it's not ie. not material but what does that even mean?
Or "supernatural" itself is defined as anything beyond the natural or even anything that transcends the physical/material but again what does that even mean? If something can transcend the physical/material but is still a part of the universe doesn't that mean that it's still natural? If there is a supernatural realm wouldn't it actually be natural since it is a naturally occurring feature of reality?
Thanks in advance for any comments and please, let's all have a civilized discussion.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
What does it mean to say that someone or something is "spiritual" or "supernatural"?
"Spiritual" is usually defined by what it's not ie. not material but what does that even mean?
Or "supernatural" itself is defined as anything beyond the natural or even anything that is that transcends the physical/material but again what does that even mean? If something can transcend the physical/material but is still a part of the universe doesn't that mean that it's still natural? If there is a supernatural realm wouldn't it actually be natural since it is a naturally occurring feature of reality?
Thanks in advance for any comments and please, let's all have a civilized discussion.

Hi Jos. I came across this definition of spirituality today and remembered that many on RF had asked this questions before. The definition is from a Baha’i website and I found it very informative and interesting. Hope it helps.

‘A word of caution is also needed about our understanding of spirituality. It is too easy to view the concept in a superficial way—to comprehend it as little more than a tool for maximising satisfaction or as a veneer of activities or rituals designed to soothe the nerves and anxieties roused by a materialistic life.

True spirituality reaches to the very roots of human existence: it permeates action and channels individual and collective efforts for the betterment of society, it cultivates thirst for knowledge, it elevates work to the station of worship, it promotes empathy, it provides for the control of selfish impulses, it emphasises oneness and interconnectedness, it fosters generosity and humility, and it nurtures appreciation for diversity and attraction to beauty.’

(Coherence Between the Spiritual and Material | What Bahá’ís Believe)

Audie

Veteran Member
Or "supernatural" itself is defined as anything beyond the natural or even anything that is that transcends the physical/material but again what does that even mean? If something can transcend the physical/material but is still a part of the universe doesn't that mean that it's still natural? If there is a supernatural realm wouldn't it actually be natural since it is a naturally occurring feature of reality?

Woo woo.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think you are asking good questions. Here is my thought.

I believe we live in a universe of many dimensions in which our sense tell us of the physical plane and three dimensions and we assume that is all that is real. But we actually live in a universe with many more dimensions not directly detectable by our physical senses and instruments. These other dimensions have their entities and complexities much like our three-dimensional realm.

When things of these higher realms seem to touch our physical realm we use words like 'supernatural' and 'spiritual'.

Nimos

I would probably categories spirituality as being an sensation or the feeling of something more, whatever that might be for a person.

Whereas the supernatural is something that can defy or influence the the natural world, that is above what is natural. So more the experience or assumption of something capable of affecting the natural world, but which is unexplainable.

David T

Premium Member
Supernatural means "i am nuts and have zero clue about nature."

naturalism means" i am convinced i have compressed and shrunk nature, it fits inside my brain"

I am a naturist. Which means "runs around butt naked." thats true just metaphorically speaking though.

Spiritual means self and can have many terms attached to it based on self. Its circular but hell thats normal.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Interesting. Very interesting.
I always find your questions very well thought out, and intriguing.
According to one dictionary...
Supernatural -
(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

supernatural - Dictionary Definition
Supernatural comes from the Latin word supernaturalis, meaning beyond nature. The adjective form of supernatural describes anything that pertains to or is caused by something that can't be explained by the laws of nature. It's interesting to ask your friends what kind of supernatural power they would choose to have. Most will probably wish for the ability to fly, though some will pick the supernatural power of being invisible.

supernatural means :
Definitions of supernatural

adj not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material

supernatural (adj.)
early 15c. "of or given by God," from Medieval Latin supernaturalis "above or beyond nature, divine," from Latin super "above" (see super-) + natura "nature" (see nature (n.)). Originally with more of a religious sense, "of or given by God, divine; heavenly;" association with ghosts, etc., has predominated since 19c. Related: Supernaturalism.

That is supernatural, whatever it be, that is either not in the chain of natural cause and effect, or which acts on the chain of cause and effect, in nature, from without the chain. [Horace Bushnell, "Nature and the Supernatural," 1858]

supernatural (n.)

1729, "a supernatural being," from supernatural (adj.). From 1830 as "that which is above or beyond the established course of nature."

So it appears that the term was coined to exclude anything that scientists considered a "threat" to scientific investigation... anything that would threaten their suppositions, that is.

So dark matter, and energy, are okay, because they help make the theories work. Eternal inflation, and multiverses, as well, since these are "natural", and does not involve mind. They are not super, and can be understood even though they have never been seen. :eek:

Pay me no mind Jos. I babel frequently.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't use either of the two terms, really. The meaning of both terms in common usage hinges on axioms that I do not adhere to. Both terms assume an Abrahamic theological slant - that "god" and "nature" are two distinctly different spheres rather than one in the same. Thus, in their way of thinking, there is "nature" and forces above and beyond nature that are labeled "supernatural" or "spiritual." I'm a Pagan and a Druid - for me everything is simply nature. I have no need of a term like "supernatural" that implies some power or force above and separate from nature. For me there is no such thing. Nor do I have need of a term like "spiritual" when it implies a similar sort of substance dualism that doesn't reflect how I see things.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Spiritual is beyond our every day perception including self-perception.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't use either of the two terms, really. The meaning of both terms in common usage hinges on axioms that I do not adhere to. Both terms assume an Abrahamic theological slant - that "god" and "nature" are two distinctly different spheres rather than one in the same. Thus, in their way of thinking, there is "nature" and forces above and beyond nature that are labeled "supernatural" or "spiritual." I'm a Pagan and a Druid - for me everything is simply nature. I have no need of a term like "supernatural" that implies some power or force above and separate from nature. For me there is no such thing. Nor do I have need of a term like "spiritual" when it implies a similar sort of substance dualism that doesn't reflect how I see things.

IOW, the to "S" are about woo woo?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Spirituality is the causes and effects of virtues and vices in the hearts of people and all of life. It is all about what motivates and what does not motivate.

Qualities of being that affect the heart, mind, and will is the realm of the spiritual.

I would say consciousness is far more than that which enables experiences. And that is the spiritual; the world beyond experiences. Experiences enable the spirit of the experiencer.

I would say its hard to put into words.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Or "supernatural" itself is defined as anything beyond the natural or even anything that transcends the physical/material but again what does that even mean? If something can transcend the physical/material but is still a part of the universe doesn't that mean that it's still natural? If there is a supernatural realm wouldn't it actually be natural since it is a naturally occurring feature of reality?

Stuff people feel is true but have no physical evidence to support.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Stuff people feel is true but have no physical evidence to support.
It is the view beyond religious dogma and before materialism. It can envolve anything a specific person desires to celebrate or believe to be real, outside of what we know about nature. My two cents only.

Jos

Hi Jos. I came across this definition of spirituality today and remembered that many on RF had asked this questions before. The definition is from a Baha’i website and I found it very informative and interesting. Hope it helps.

‘A word of caution is also needed about our understanding of spirituality. It is too easy to view the concept in a superficial way—to comprehend it as little more than a tool for maximising satisfaction or as a veneer of activities or rituals designed to soothe the nerves and anxieties roused by a materialistic life.

True spirituality reaches to the very roots of human existence: it permeates action and channels individual and collective efforts for the betterment of society, it cultivates thirst for knowledge, it elevates work to the station of worship, it promotes empathy, it provides for the control of selfish impulses, it emphasises oneness and interconnectedness, it fosters generosity and humility, and it nurtures appreciation for diversity and attraction to beauty.’

(Coherence Between the Spiritual and Material | What Bahá’ís Believe)
Thanks for the definition but this only describes what spirituality leads to, it doesn't really it as a thing or give us any insight into the ontology of the spiritual.

Jos

I think you are asking good questions. Here is my thought.

I believe we live in a universe of many dimensions in which our sense tell us of the physical plane and three dimensions and we assume that is all that is real. But we actually live in a universe with many more dimensions not directly detectable by our physical senses and instruments. These other dimensions have their entities and complexities much like our three-dimensional realm.

When things of these higher realms seem to touch our physical realm we use words like 'supernatural' and 'spiritual'.
Those definitions of 'spiritual' or 'supernatural' are kinda vague... they only describe what the spiritual or supernatural lead to not what they actually are.

Jos

I would probably categories spirituality as being an sensation or the feeling of something more, whatever that might be for a person.
No offence but that's kinda vague isn't it? It doesn't really describe much.
Whereas the supernatural is something that can defy or influence the the natural world, that is above what is natural. So more the experience or assumption of something capable of affecting the natural world, but which is unexplainable.
OK, this is fairly useful but then one would have to ask if it is capable of affecting the natural wouldn't that still be considered natural, in a certain sense?

Jos

I always find your questions very well thought out, and intriguing.
Thanks.
According to one dictionary...
Supernatural -
(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

supernatural - Dictionary Definition
Supernatural comes from the Latin word supernaturalis, meaning beyond nature. The adjective form of supernatural describes anything that pertains to or is caused by something that can't be explained by the laws of nature. It's interesting to ask your friends what kind of supernatural power they would choose to have. Most will probably wish for the ability to fly, though some will pick the supernatural power of being invisible.

supernatural means :
Definitions of supernatural

adj not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material

supernatural (adj.)
early 15c. "of or given by God," from Medieval Latin supernaturalis "above or beyond nature, divine," from Latin super "above" (see super-) + natura "nature" (see nature (n.)). Originally with more of a religious sense, "of or given by God, divine; heavenly;" association with ghosts, etc., has predominated since 19c. Related: Supernaturalism.

That is supernatural, whatever it be, that is either not in the chain of natural cause and effect, or which acts on the chain of cause and effect, in nature, from without the chain. [Horace Bushnell, "Nature and the Supernatural," 1858]

supernatural (n.)

1729, "a supernatural being," from supernatural (adj.). From 1830 as "that which is above or beyond the established course of nature."

So it appears that the term was coined to exclude anything that scientists considered a "threat" to scientific investigation... anything that would threaten their suppositions, that is.

So dark matter, and energy, are okay, because they help make the theories work. Eternal inflation, and multiverses, as well, since these are "natural", and does not involve mind. They are not super, and can be understood even though they have never been seen. :eek:

Pay me no mind Jos. I babel frequently.
But if they're just occurrences that are unexplainable or beyond current understanding of the laws of nature or scientific theories then wouldn't that just mean that they're possibly natural occurrences that we just haven't been able to understand yet but can be understood in the future?

Jos

So for you everything is natural and experiences or unexplainable occurrences that seemingly violate our understanding of nature which people label 'spiritual' or 'supernatural' is really just natural? So how do you explain those seemingly unexplainable experiences or occurrences?