• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Sanatana Dharmists believe about renincarnation?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think different "dharmists" believe different things, Ismaila. Your average Sanjay probably looks at it as a simple succession of bodies and lives. More philosophic Vedantis might conceive of it as some complicated quantum perturbation.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Being among the average masses I believe in the cycle of rebirths, as anything that lives. There's a misconception that you can be reborn as a rock. :rolleyes: Not so, only as a living thing. I think it's something like 84 million different living things you can be reborn as. Being reborn as an insect, for example, is only to burn off karma from the accumulated supply. You can't create karma as an insect.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh wow. That is a lot of living things. How do ya'll escape the reincarnation cycle?

Not all Hindus believe you can reincarnate as insects. There is variety of belief in this too, as you might expect. You escape samsara (the cycle of reincarnation) by realising Brahman, the essential oneness or yourSelf with God. This is called moksha.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Being among the average masses I believe in the cycle of rebirths, as anything that lives. There's a misconception that you can be reborn as a rock. :rolleyes: Not so, only as a living thing. I think it's something like 84 million different living things you can be reborn as. Being reborn as an insect, for example, is only to burn off karma from the accumulated supply. You can't create karma as an insect.

What! Not even a pet rock?

Andal

resident hypnotist
Oh wow. That is a lot of living things. How do ya'll escape the reincarnation cycle?

Vaishnavas believe that it is not escaping samsara that is of importance. What will lead to liberation is nurturing a deep and loving relationship with God. This love is so strong that we will willingly be reborn for countless lifetimes if it makes our Beloved happy. Liberation from the cycle of birth and death is not the goal. It is the liberation from material passion to the profound ecstasy of divine love that is important.

Aum Hari Aum!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Those who say moksha is merging with God, or realising our Oneness are monist Hindus.

I am a panentheist Hindu. I consider liberation to be the Realisation of Self and God, both our Oneness with and distinction from Him.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ismaila...,

Matter is neither created nor destroyed it only changes form, and humans too are nothing but matter or vibration and it keeps evolving continuously and that is what rebirth is all about till total realization or the state of nirvana is reached by the individual.

Love & rgds

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
Well Sanathana Dharmists have their explanations about reincarnation.....

just to put it in simple words....

According to many philosophies it is nothing but the transformation of the soul from one body to another either to upgrade its state or to degrade.....

The New era medical system of "Mind-Body Medicine" has successfully proved it as a scientific fact that any person can remember the exact details of his own birth... which was till recent past was considered impossible....

Now it has also gone further and they is a possibility of going beyond birth to one's past lives....

I was working with a great mind-body interactor on a Case where we uncovered over 17,000 Old Lives of the patient in the duration of 1 month..... the details just kept coming.....

In a religious view too the concept of reincarnation depends upon the life you have lead now and your past Karmas as well.....

About escaping this cycle?

The Reincarnation cycle can only be escaped with the mercy of one's deity.... this is said in many Sanathana Dharma Philosophies and texts.... one can only strive to avoid his further incarnation but can only succeed with the mercy of the Controller (God)......

Either that or there is another very nice concept..... reincarnating with purpose....

one of India's greatest saint Swami Vivekananda has proclaimed that "I will take births in this very land until even a dog is hungry".......

Many saints and Yogis have immense knowledge about their purpose of birth from the very beginning itself.... there is no fear of sins or rebirths.... it's just Lord's work and you do it happily for how many ever lives may take...