• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do religious people positively contribute to the world that non-religious people can't?

What do religious people contribute to the betterment of the world that non-religious folk cannot?

• Nothing

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Some things

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Many things

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • This poll doesn't reflect my thinking

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

ppp

Your viewpoint is based on that there is no God. If there is a God, obviously there is an impact that is beyond mankind.
You are confused. My view on the existence of god is irrelevant to the questions of whether believers have special powers and are able to do things that atheists cannot.
  • There could be a god, and believers have no special powers.
  • There could be no god, and believers do have special powers.
Demonstrate that believers have special powers and are able to do things that atheists cannot, @KenS

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
You don't get to assign the Christians credit for the 155 years of abolition without also assigning them blame for their 1,800 years of gleefully practicing slavery.

BTW, the Persian empire was actually the first to abolish slavery. IIRC that last about 250 years before they reverted. Of the 244 years that the US has been a country, we have only had abolition for 155.
Again... you aren't making sense.

1) If Persians abolished slavery and they were religious, it runs against your statement that "Religions retard progress on every front " So you just countered your own statement
2) I acknowledged that some Christians believed in slavery... but you will have to support you "1800 years of gleefully practicing slavery".
3) You failed to counter my statement that it was faith people that abolished slavery.
4) You conveniently suppressed the reality that many northern states did not have slavery. Remember the Civil War?

You will have to do better to convince me that I am wrong.

Kenny

Premium Member
You are confused. My view on the existence of god is irrelevant to the questions of whether believers have special powers and are able to do things that atheists cannot.
  • There could be a god, and believers have no special powers.
  • There could be no god, and believers do have special powers.
Demonstrate that believers have special powers and are able to do things that atheists cannot, @KenS

MNoBody

This question is for anyone who is seriously concerned with making the world a better place, even through the most humble of acts of service in one's family or community. What religious folk positively contribute that a non-religious folk don't?
personally I just see people who are doing things all the time....."helpful", would depend then on taking a partisan position,
[as in helpful towards which agenda societally] unless it is just overall quality of life improvements you are meaning,
in which case most people do at least something [well, ok some do absolutely nothing, but discounting them] most people do more than just a token nod in its general direction much of the time.
If a person's religion made a better human out of them, then that's nice, but i don't really care how a person "made it there", only that they showed up, and were decent company.

ppp

1) If Persians abolished slavery and they were religious, it runs against your statement that "Religions retard progress on every front " So you just countered your own statement
This is just a bald as statement with absolutely no explanation as to your reasoning. Do you have any reasoning behind that statement, or are you just saying stuff?
2) I acknowledged that some Christians believed in slavery... but you will have to support you "1800 years of gleefully practicing slavery".
Why?
3) You failed to counter my statement that it was faith people that abolished slavery.
I don't need to. It's not a relevant point.
4) You conveniently suppressed the reality that many northern states did not have slavery. Remember the Civil War?
Holy crap! You are historically ignorant. Are you under the impression that history started with the US Civil War? Go look up when the northern states abolished slavery.

Kenny

Premium Member
This is just a bald as statement with absolutely no explanation as to your reasoning. Do you have any reasoning behind that statement, or are you just saying stuff?

Why?

I don't need to. It's not a relevant point.

Holy crap! You are historically ignorant. Are you under the impression that history started with the US Civil War? Go look up when the northern states abolished slavery.
And yet, with all of your posting, all you have offered is personal opinions with no supportive documentation...

I rest my case.

ppp

And yet, with all of your posting, all you have offered is personal opinions with no supportive documentation...

I rest my case.
No, you don't. You don't have a case. You just made a series of vague un related false objections, then when asked to explain your objection, rather than provide that explanation, you pretend that you have made a "case" and run away. It is precisely your sort of dishonest piety that I caused me to start questioning my Christian beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator:

ppp

Yes, you have no rebuttal with what you see. Is that all you have to offer? ;)
A guy put his hand on the heads of a bunch of people who acted emotionally. Nothing happened in that video to make a rebuttal to.

Kenny

Premium Member
No, you don't. You don't have a case. You just made a series of vague un related false objections, then when asked to explain your objection, rather than provide that explanation, you pretend that you have made a "case" and run away. It is precisely your sort of dishonest piety that I caused me to start questioning my Christian beliefs.
Again...

Kenny

Premium Member
A guy put his hand on the heads of a bunch of people who acted emotionally. Nothing happened in that video to make a rebuttal to.
Yes, usually denial is the only rebuttal in these sort of cases.