• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Religion has to do with Us?

Jiddanand

Looking at the thoughts on the web and news I am wondering what the heck Religion has to do with the world?
What is the significance and importance of the Religion in life?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Looked at in one way --- but only in one way --- religions seem to be ultimately rooted in a set of cognitive prejudices which, however much they might at times mislead us, are nevertheless deeply based in human nature and therefore shall always be with us so long as we are Homo sapiens.

Milton Platt

Looking at the thoughts on the web and news I am wondering what the heck Religion has to do with the world?

In one way, everything, since without humans there would be no religion.
As to relevance in people's lives, it is an individual thing depending on whether you believe in a god, which god you believe in, which version of that particular god, and how a particular individual chooses to worship (or not) that god.

The god one chooses is predominately an accident of birth location.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Religion is significant and important because it can serve as a beneficial socializing agent, and often provides a sense of security and asylum from personal concerns.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What is religion to you? Cause without religion/religious lifestyle, I dont know where'd I be. Replace it with "spiritual life" or "living one's values" or "devotional life" (to god, to family, doesnt matter). It only means something to the person living it.

So it's important to some and not to others; it depends on how its defined by each individual.

It has a lot to do with the world. If we can find a common definition, then we can figure out if its hurting the world or helping it. Since it's an individual thing, I dont understand your question too much.

Laika

Premium Member
Before the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment, Religion was a way of organising our understanding of nature and society into a system of beliefs or world-view. If you look at both Fascism and Communism, whilst neither of them are "religions", they both performed much the same role of organising people's understanding and behaviour as political ideologies in the 20th century.

Whilst both individualism, secularism and science have pushed religion back- we continue to need some sort of orgainsation and structure to give us meaning in our lives (even if it is minimal). Religious belief is still a preferable alternative to nihilism as it gives us some sense of direction and purpose to transcend our individuality and our mortality, even if it is a bad one.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Jiddanand ji

it is very sad to see the state of the world , and even sader to see that some of the ills of this current age seem to stem from religion , when in truth they stem from every thing religion is against , Greed (self interest), Anger and lgnorance , ....if we only took the time to truely understand our respective religions and act according to their esential teachings the world would be a far happier and peacefull place , all unrest in this world where it is caused by religion is caused by a missunderstanding of that religion and a missapropriation of its teachings , ...

to my mind the importance is that religion should bring wisdom and compassion into our daily lives , wisdom brings order and fairness , to me a world without religion would be a sad place , as religion when understood and used properly puts human life into perspective in a way that modern sciences have still as yet failed to do , it enriches the lives of millions giving both purpose and happiness , ...

but before this can happen we need to examine carefully what religion actualy is , as sadly l fear that many have a very poor understanding of the true nature of religion therefore use it to justify their own ends , .....

Jiddanand

What is religion to you? Cause without religion/religious lifestyle, I dont know where'd I be. Replace it with "spiritual life" or "living one's values" or "devotional life" (to god, to family, doesnt matter). It only means something to the person living it.

So it's important to some and not to others; it depends on how its defined by each individual.

It has a lot to do with the world. If we can find a common definition, then we can figure out if its hurting the world or helping it. Since it's an individual thing, I dont understand your question too much.
I think you responded positively. Without religion you are nowhere.

Jiddanand

namaskaram Jiddanand ji

it is very sad to see the state of the world , and even sader to see that some of the ills of this current age seem to stem from religion , when in truth they stem from every thing religion is against , Greed (self interest), Anger and lgnorance , ....if we only took the time to truely understand our respective religions and act according to their esential teachings the world would be a far happier and peacefull place , all unrest in this world where it is caused by religion is caused by a missunderstanding of that religion and a missapropriation of its teachings , ...

to my mind the importance is that religion should bring wisdom and compassion into our daily lives , wisdom brings order and fairness , to me a world without religion would be a sad place , as religion when understood and used properly puts human life into perspective in a way that modern sciences have still as yet failed to do , it enriches the lives of millions giving both purpose and happiness , ...

but before this can happen we need to examine carefully what religion actualy is , as sadly l fear that many have a very poor understanding of the true nature of religion therefore use it to justify their own ends , .....
Tum kon ho?

Jiddanand

Looked at in one way --- but only in one way --- religions seem to be ultimately rooted in a set of cognitive prejudices which, however much they might at times mislead us, are nevertheless deeply based in human nature and therefore shall always be with us so long as we are Homo sapiens.
What I get from your statement is that religion is a must for human?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Religion is an important and perhaps unavoidable part of building the sense of community for most people.

It also plays an important role in expressing and spreading values, although that role is often misused and abused. But it does not have to be.

Unfortunately, it is all too often contaminated by greed, powerlust and superstition, not rarely to the a crippling degree. Again, it does not have to be so, but far too many people choose to rely on religion instead of taking responsibility for it.

Jiddanand

Religion is an important and perhaps unavoidable part of building the sense of community for most people.

It also plays an important role in expressing and spreading values, although that role is often misused and abused. But it does not have to be.

Unfortunately, it is all too often contaminated by greed, powerlust and superstition, not rarely to the a crippling degree. Again, it does not have to be so, but far too many people choose to rely on religion instead of taking responsibility for it.
Religion is heroic. You agreed to that?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Religion is heroic. You agreed to that?
Religion can be heroic... when its practicioners are wise, courageous and compassionate enough.

It can also be calamitous when they are not.

Most of the time it is somewhere in the middle.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
The only benefit that any religion has to really offer is two things;
1) a sense of community
2) a sense of comfort

allfoak

Alchemist

A casual look at the conditions of the people in the world tells me that religion has little or no significance in most peoples lives.
It doesn't seem to matter that everyone claims to be a part of this or that religious group, the world is in chaos and about to get worse.

I would say that if the purpose the religious leaders have for imposing their religion on the masses is for the good of society then we need to replace the leaders.

Religion is important to everyone but has no significant value if what the religion teaches does not change lives and thus the world into a better place for the common people to live.