• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Reformed Jews believe about sex outside of marriage and contraception?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. What do Reform Jews believe about sex outside of marriage and contraception? Oh yeah, and when I say "sex outside of marriage", I do not mean adultery.

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Hey everyone. What do Reformed Jews believe about sex outside of marriage and contraception? Oh yeah, and when I say "sex outside of marriage", I do not mean adultery.

Then you mean premarital sex? (neither party married)... AFAIK to be expected in modern society.

Contraception isn't a problem at all, so long as it's not irreversible. (vasectomy)

JMHO of course, I was not raised Reform I was raised Orthodox but I currently am affiliated with a Reform congregation so I have a pretty good idea what their stand is.

BTW... It's 'Reform' not 'Reformed'. ;)

ZooGirl02

Then you mean premarital sex? (neither party married)... AFAIK to be expected in modern society.

Contraception isn't a problem at all, so long as it's not irreversible. (vasectomy)

JMHO of course, I was not raised Reform I was raised Orthodox but I currently am affiliated with a Reform congregation so I have a pretty good idea what their stand is.

BTW... It's 'Reform' not 'Reformed'. ;)

Oh okay. Sorry about the bad grammar. I will edit my post.

What I am trying to figure out is whether Reform Jews condemn premarital sex or not.

Levite

Higher and Higher
As far as I know, the Reform movement "endorses" Jews practicing their sexual relations in the context of some kind of committed monogamous relationship as an ideal, but it in no way condemns or derides premarital sex. So I have been told by a theologian at Hebrew Union College....

Dena

As far as I know, the Reform movement "endorses" Jews practicing their sexual relations in the context of some kind of committed monogamous relationship as an ideal, but it in no way condemns or derides premarital sex. So I have been told by a theologian at Hebrew Union College....

That is basically what I've seen. Of course all individuals have different ideas so you never know. Zoogirl, may I ask why you are interested in this topic?

ZooGirl02

Oh okay. Thanks!

That is basically what I've seen. Of course all individuals have different ideas so you never know. Zoogirl, may I ask why you are interested in this topic?

Well, I am interested in this topic because I have been considering joining Reform Judaism but I wanted to make sure that it is liberal enough for my own personal beliefs first.