• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do people care about?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What's the matter with you? (Honestly asking-no harsh tone)

Sounds like something going on on your end.

Bull,

About 7 times you have told me how i feel despite being told you are wrong and you still repeat your ego salving bull in your last 2 posts to me. It is getting tedious you continually attempting to make this emotional.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually this is what started the "discussion"

The discussion would have been fine, though. But it seemed like you took my opinions personally. The intentions behind my opinions aren't uncaring about people. I have family members and church friends at risk and talk with a few all the time off and on about the COVID thing. It's a highly sensitive issue; and, being on RF just means I can share my brief opinions on it-but not insofar it will make people upset over what I say. To tell you honestly, since I'm not around people 98% of the time, it really doesn't catch my attention until I go on RF or have to leave the house for a few reasons.

Doesn't mean I don't care, it just means we're both in different parts of the world, different relations, and different perspectives of this thing going around. I'm not sure if you're in the States, but I read that people here are pretty stubborn about the whole issue. Both sides are justified -- but it seems like my not taking sides gets to people. Not sure why.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Bull,

About 7 times you have told me how i feel despite being told you are wrong and you still repeat your ego salving bull in your last 2 posts to me. It is getting tedious you continually attempting to make this emotional.

I can't take your word for it (especially how you phrased it) unless you give me a direct-concrete example. Something like "you are feeling (I don't know) angry about X." All I'm saying are observations. Whether you take them to heart is on you, but that doesn't invalidate what I'm saying. "Bull" doesn't help your point, you know.

Maybe different way of addressing conversations would help me not to assume by observation you're being one way which

-as I said before-

that's probably not the way you talk/act in person. Right?

Maybe just an online thing? I hope?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I can't take your word for it (especially how you phrased it) unless you give me a direct-concrete example. Something like "you are feeling (I don't know) angry about X." All I'm saying are observations. Whether you take them to heart is on you, but that doesn't invalidate what I'm saying. "Bull" doesn't help your point, you know.

Maybe different way of addressing conversations would help me not to assume by observation you're being one way which

-as I said before-

that's probably not the way you talk/act in person. Right?

Maybe just an online thing? I hope?

You wrote your posts, don't expect me to do your work for you

And you do it again
Stop telling me what i am

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I do not agree that social interaction is a need the same way food and water are needed. A person can survive alone on a desert island if they have food and water. But even if people do need social interaction, Covid restrictions do not debar them for any social interactions. People just want it all because they are spoiled and selfish. They want to have Thanksgiving and Christmas with their family members as if nothing is going on... The selfish wants of so many people to not have what they perceive to be their rights taken away is the primary problem with so many Americans.

Aside from that, people can also interact online, they do not have to hug and talk in person. In my state since the governor mandate allowed churches to resume services I have not see any cars in the parking lots because people have adjusted and hold services online. The Baha'is have been meeting on Zoom since March, before the governor order not to meet in person.
Not to be rude, but you are you on the autism spectrum or have schizophrenia? I ask because I find it odd that you constantly downplay the necessity of social interaction for people. Not feeling a need for social interaction or not understanding it is common among people with autism or schizophrenia (the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia). One of my best friends has schizophrenia. She doesn't really suffer from psychotic breaks anymore but she definitely has the negative symptoms like blunted or flat affect and not understanding social behavior or desiring it. I thought she might be autistic at first, but it's just that the symptoms can look similar.

Anyway, the point is that is we need social interaction or our mental health greatly suffers. There's a reason why they isolate people in prison from others - it's a form of torture designed to force compliance. People have committed suicide already from these lockdowns. I've heard of multiple cases of that. I don't think it's fair to judge people for wanting to be normal and spend time with loved ones during this difficult time. I have one person I spend time with and we don't live together, but I refuse to be totally socially cut off.

And the Internet is no substitute for a real live human being physically in your presence.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't disagree with anyone that social interaction is healthy, and that its hard to weather not having it. Like Saint Frankenstein has said, you do crack up... but most of us that have to 'crack up' live through it. Some don't. But there are other things some of us don't live through(I'm referring to suicide), like the death of a loved one, loss of job or fortune, or feeling alienated within a culture. If someone feels like they're getting that low, some kind of intervention is required(what that is will vary). But most people who will have to stay home for Thanksgiving this year are going to be upset/depressed, but not necessarily suicidal.

I went through that 'crack up' a few years ago. I'm a pretty social person; a quiet extrovert is what I like to call myself. In my younger years, the most horrible thing I could imagine was no one to call, no one to visit, etc. And then it happened. Friends moved. Others grew apart. Long story short, all those people I 'needed' disappeared. And I was alone, other than my family I live with. The same thing happened with my husband as well(he failed to make friends in Midwestern culture).

I was stinking miserable. I cried a lot about it. Of course, I tried to make new friends, but it never worked. I put myself out there, joined up, but no matter what I did, a casual conversation was all I would find. And that wasn't totally uplifting("so, is it still raining outside?" kinda thing).

The thing was, I found, no one cared. They really don't, unless its in some abstract way; no one gave a **** that I was lonely and suffering. And once I took that to heart, strangely, I started to heal. No, there really wasn't anyone who cared, or that was going to fix my problem, or help me fix it, so I better get used to it. If I didn't want to go nuts, I had better accept things the way they are, and be thankful for what I have.

I have been living Covid style since before Covid was a thing. Do I think everyone should do it? Absolutely not. Do I want to continue to be isolated? Absolutely not. Will I fall apart if I have to? Absolutely not.

I think if you have friends to go spend time with after this stinking virus lifts, its something to be thankful for. Personally, I am thankful for the fact I'm not living alone. My heart goes out to those that have to live alone during this(unless, of course, they're very introverted and prefer it that way).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Stop telling me what i am

I can't find where I explicitly told you, you are one thing or another.

All I read are observations of how you are speaking and what you're accusing me off (from many posts and threads lumped together).

It's an observation of your "behavior" (your speech/language use).

I do not know Who you are just how you present yourself to me (and to RF). We/I can only go by what you literally type and make intelligent assumptions to what you mean to form mature and relevant conversations. That's the nature of dialogue-as well as asking for clarification and understanding each other in both our (people's) agreements and disagreements.

This is not indirect and not geared towards you nor (from what I'm reading) defining who you are and what you are. It is just the nature of how dialogue works.

If you don't believe me, that's your thing (taken from your responses). And. It's the truth.

It literally has nothing to do with Who you as a person,
just how you express yourself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not my problem

It sounds like it's your problem (lbw). It can only be my problem when I know my mistake or what I said as to apologize if need be. Since I don't and you're not explaining it to me, it sounds something you're upset about and, again, putting it on me as if that helps the situation.

But feelings aren't facts; so, if you don't know what I explicitly said, sounds more like (observation) sounds more like something you're struggling to deal with.

My best advice is either keep me on ignore (and you don't have to tell me by the way. That's your thing), don't reply to any of my comments unless they are productive and you're willing to clarify your arguments or support them, or just let it be, take a breather.

Christine, it's not that serious.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It sounds like it's your problem (lbw). It can only be my problem when I know my mistake or what I said as to apologize if need be. Since I don't and you're not explaining it to me, it sounds something you're upset about and, again, putting it on me as if that helps the situation.

But feelings aren't facts; so, if you don't know what I explicitly said, sounds more like (observation) sounds more like something you're struggling to deal with.

My best advice is either keep me on ignore (and you don't have to tell me by the way. That's your thing), don't reply to any of my comments unless they are productive and you're willing to clarify your arguments or support them, or just let it be, take a breather.

Christine, it's not that serious.

As i said, not my problem.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
To each his or her own.... We do not all need social interaction in groups. Some of us are content to just have our spouse to talk to.
I don't like being around a lot of people. The only time I really enjoy crowds are concerts, which I love going to and am heartbroken that I can't now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A "real" emergency would not be political. People would KNOW and experience a real threat (say a bomb coming). There would be no skepticism because we-everyone-would have and receive the same message without it being mixed up by media. I agree with @George-ananda. It is fear.
Did my aunt not really break her leg due to the fatigue from covid? Did a neighbor not really die from it just after I moved to this town? Is it not real the death of family and friends that members here have suffered?
And, don't forget, it is Trump and Republicans who have been the biggest confusers and liars about this. It's not at all "mixed up by the media." It's mixed up by a narcissist who wants to see nothing more than people doing what he says.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not to be rude, but you are you on the autism spectrum or have schizophrenia? I ask because I find it odd that you constantly downplay the necessity of social interaction for people.
No, I do not have any diagnoses such as those.

When did I constantly downplay social interaction? I was mostly talking about other things people want but have to give up during this pandemic.

I said: I understand that people need to work in order to eat and pay the rent but that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to what people do not really need, but rather what they want. Other than groceries, they do not need to go shopping, eat out or go to bars, and they do not need to go to the gym or to the movies or sporting events, and they do not need to engage in social activities or go traveling. Is this what people live for?

I understand that most people want all these things but they do not need them. Why is it so difficult for people to give these things up, at least during this pandemic?

Anyway, the point is that is we need social interaction or our mental health greatly suffers.
That is not true for everyone. Some people are introverted.
I don't think it's fair to judge people for wanting to be normal and spend time with loved ones during this difficult time.
I was not judging people, I was just asking some poignant questions.

It is not me who is suggesting limiting large gatherings, it is the media, and it is because of Covid-19.
I have one person I spend time with and we don't live together, but I refuse to be totally socially cut off.
Nobody suggested that you should. The only suggestion the health experts are making is to wear a mask, observe social distancing and avoiding large gatherings.
And the Internet is no substitute for a real live human being physically in your presence.
I have my husband in my presence 24/7 and I have my cats, which are better company than most humans.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't like being around a lot of people. The only time I really enjoy crowds are concerts, which I love going to and am heartbroken that I can't now.
We are all different in what we like to do. I never go to concerts or sporting events because I cannot tolerate crowds. I do not even go to Baha'i conferences!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Did my aunt not really break her leg due to the fatigue from covid? Did a neighbor not really die from it just after I moved to this town? Is it not real the death of family and friends that members here have suffered?

And, don't forget, it is Trump and Republicans who have been the biggest confusers and liars about this. It's not at all "mixed up by the media." It's mixed up by a narcissist who wants to see nothing more than people doing what he says.

Was comparing immediate threats to non-immediate threats not the nature of threat being more or less severe; that depends on the person. Someone overseas may be dying of starvation, but I'm not close to that person to "feel" their pain. If the same person was close to me, yes, I would. It would bring my immediate attention that thousands of people in the world would not. But I do know bomb threats are immediate emergencies regardless where one is in the world.

There's nothing personal behind the observation between immediate and non-immediate threat. I feel it depends on the person and how he or she is involved in a said incident. But with bombs, et cetera, nothing personal or subjective about it. No less than having a gun at one's head.

As for Trump and the negativity, I just can't bring it to myself to talk about people like that whether I dislike their behavior, what they say, strangers, people close to me, I don't know.... it's personal. It hits me in the chest just to say things about people-morally. Even if I accidentally do it or kick myself in the rear for doing it, it's not something I identify as seeing people that way. It makes me a hypocrite to say I care for others than talk down about them as people. So, I try to stay neutral about it if I don't have anything nice to say.

RF doesn't help but I have yet to get off this thing. Bored or something.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Was comparing immediate threats to non-immediate threats not the nature of threat being more or less severe; that depends on the person. Someone overseas may be dying of starvation, but I'm not close to that person to "feel" their pain. If the same person was close to me, yes, I would. It would bring my immediate attention that thousands of people in the world would not. But I do know bomb threats are immediate emergencies regardless where one is in the world.
How is covid not an immediate threat? Have you missed America is adding more cases than ever before?