• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do New Agers believe about Jesus?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think the general understanding goes a lot in place with what I beleive:

He said that everyone was god, he talked about reincarnation and in the bible he says he is Eliseo, he talks about everyone being capable of doing miracles, etc

He also is watching over us in some eteric form and helping everyone of us to grow spiritualy and realize the god (christ) we are bithin :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
If you want I could provide you with quotes and parts of the bible that support this beliefs.

Mainstream christianity has it´s own interpretation of them of course, but still if you want I can tell you mine and that of many. In any case ther is a book that spoke about this and it is called "autobiography of a yogui" and it was by Paramahansa Yogananda. The book on my opinion is great.

In any case, you say ;)

IsmailaGodHasHeard

If you want I could provide you with quotes and parts of the bible that support this beliefs.

Mainstream christianity has it´s own interpretation of them of course, but still if you want I can tell you mine and that of many. In any case ther is a book that spoke about this and it is called "autobiography of a yogui" and it was by Paramahansa Yogananda. The book on my opinion is great.

In any case, you say ;)

Yes, I am curious.

nnmartin

I believe Jesus to be one of the many demi-gods that can help us form a oneness with the Divine Force.

I doubt a Christian would be too happy with this explanation.

even among christians, there is no consensus that christ is "God" because we cant define God (Source, Allfather, Shiva, Jehovah etc). i believe he came into the fullness of God in that he transcended ego, tuned in more to the atma (spirit) such that the atma overshadowed his whole being.. and he wants everyone to forsake the carnal man and follow the spirit man.. he is an ascended master, and we can all be if we open our eyes to the real sincere hope and truth... religion divides, spirituality unites...

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Anything from a divine being, to a man who attained divinity (read that here on RF) to a prophet who although wasn't divine, was a wise teacher. Basically the same spectrum of belief as anyone else. That being said there is no taboo (as in churches) to speculate or surmise from scripture any number of other possibilities, as would be done with any holy book.

Iridessa

Curious Seeker
While I don't label myself as a 'new ager' or speak for everyone, I think a general view of Jesus in the new age community is that of a guide and teacher, someone who achieved a lot here on Earth and paved the way for humanity to reach a higher consciousness (the Christ consciousness).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, I thought I answer this even though I don't consider myself a new ager, just my beliefs are labeled that way.

I believe Jesus is Divine. He said He is One with God as with all of us, in a Christian view, are One with Christ. He is the only one that's 100 percent connected with the Father and He isn't the Father. I also believe Jesus' death taught a lot about how we should sacrifice ourselves to the greatest extent to help others. Since He died for others, could we do the same, or at least close? Sacrificial charity.

Other than that, I don't see Him as perfect. We are all Children of the Divine, and Jesus is no exception.

Being

Being
While I don't label myself as a 'new ager' or speak for everyone, I think a general view of Jesus in the new age community is that of a guide and teacher, someone who achieved a lot here on Earth and paved the way for humanity to reach a higher consciousness (the Christ consciousness).

What Iridessa writes seems very close to my understanding of the general New Age view of Jesus Christ. New Age thinking itself -- the nature of New Age -- includes certain aspects or "personality traits." One of them, perhaps the central idea, is transcendence. Therefore, the general view of Jesus Christ will be that of his transcending provincial religions, cultures, ideologies, etc. And then, his facilitating other humans to transcend also. New Age is about discovering and achieving the higher consciousness, or "evolving" (if you will) consciously. So, "Christ Consciousness" is perfectly fitting for a New Age view of Jesus Christ.

I would like to add that, while each person will have their own individual view that works for them, New Age is about just that: each person finding their spiritual path and what facilitates them along their journey. New Age is an umbrella for all these various views. So, there are differing views of Jesus Christ among New Age thinkers. People may discuss and debate (hopefully, politely and respectfully) the various views, but it does not seem appropriate for one person to say that another person's view is false or invalid or incorrect. However, as I mentioned above, a central tenet of New Age is transcendence. So, any view of Jesus Christ will almost certainly go beyond the views found in traditional religions. And New Age thinkers may or may not remain somewhat involved or associated with traditional religions and traditional views, while expanding their own views. There is not a "one size fits all" nor any prescribed, required, view of Jesus Christ.

~ Peace, Being

Last edited:

Angel1

Angel
New Agers are just like followers of any religion or school of thought. They are different from each other and understand differently according to their level in the order of evolution. It is said, "A thousand Buddhists (or Christians), a thousand different religions.

To some seekers of Truth, Jesus is an advanced being, a christ or an avatar, sent here to us on a special mission to provide more advanced divine instruction and serve as exemplar for all to follow. There are many christs and avatars. They make their appearance periodically according to God's plan of evolution for the benefit of the developing spirits here on Earth.

The entity that is Jesus is said to be a 7th Rounder while Gautama Buddha is thought to be a 6th Rounder. To those who would like to learn more, a study of Theosophy might of some use.