• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Muslims believe About Jesus Christ?

Islam

What Do Muslims Believe about Jesus?
Muslims respect and revere Jesus (peace be upon him). They consider him one of the greatest of God’s messengers to mankind. The Quran confirms his virgin birth, and a chapter of the Quran is entitled ‘Maryam’ (Mary). The Quran describes the birth of Jesus as follows:

(Remember) when the angels said, “O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him (God), whose name is the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, revered in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (to God). He will speak to the people from his cradle and as a man, and he is of the righteous.” She said, “My Lord, how can I have a child when no mortal has touched me?” He said, “So (it will be). God creates what He wills. If He decrees a thing, He says to it only, ‘Be!’ and it is.” (Quran, 3:45-47)

Jesus was born miraculously by the command of God, the same command that had brought Adam into being with neither a father nor a mother. God has said:

The case of Jesus with God is like the case of Adam. He created him from dust, and then He said to him, “Be!” and he came into being. (Quran, 3:59)

During his prophetic mission, Jesus performed many miracles. God tells us that Jesus said:

“I have come to you with a sign from your Lord. I make for you the shape of a bird out of clay, I breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God’s permission. I heal the blind from birth and the leper. And I bring the dead to life by God’s permission. And I tell you what you eat and what you store in your houses....” (Quran, 3:49)

Muslims believe that Jesus was not crucified. It was the plan of Jesus’ enemies to crucify him, but God saved him and raised him up to Him. And the likeness of Jesus was put over another man. Jesus’ enemies took this man and crucified him, thinking that he was Jesus. God has said:

...They said, “We killed the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of God.” They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but the likeness of him was put on another man (and they killed that man)... (Quran, 4:157)

Neither Muhammad nor Jesus came to change the basic doctrine of the belief in one God, brought by earlier prophets, but rather to confirm and renew it.

Changes in the Bible
It is easy to find many passages in the Bible where Jesus is called Son of God. One is also able to find a few passages where Jesus calls himself the Son of God, or where he calls God his father. However, a careful study of the Bible reveals that this is the result of changes in the Bible. Jesus never claimed that he is the Son of God.

Each time an older manuscript of the Bible is discovered, many changes are required in the Bible to bring it in line with the ancient manuscripts. Mark 1:1 reads as follows:

“The beginning of the Gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.b” (Mark 1:1, New International Version).

At the end of that verse, there is a small letter directing us to look at the footnote at the bottom of the page. There we find that some manuscripts do not have “the Son of God.” And those were ancient, reliable manuscripts. The evidence was so compelling that the editors of one Bible just simply removed the title Son of God from the verse altogether. Thus in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures the verse reads:

“The beginning of the good news about Jesus Christ” (Mark 1:1).

The title ‘Son of God’ is no longer in that verse.

Another such change had to be made in the Acts of the Apostles 8:37 in every honest translation of the Bible prepared in this century. Evidence from old manuscripts demanded that the verse be removed from all present Bibles. If you go to your New International Version Bible and look for Acts 8:37 you will not find it in the text. You will find verse number 36, and then verse 38, but not 37. If you wish to know what verse 37 used to say, you need to check the footnote at the bottom of the page. This verse used to contain a confession that Jesus is the Son of God. It had to be removed because its absence from the most ancient manuscripts meant that someone added it to the later manuscripts.

Some changes become evident just by comparing one Gospel with another in the present Bibles. You can do this investigation yourself. One example of this is the centurion’s confession that Jesus is the Son of God as reported in Mark’s Gospel as follows:

“Truly this man was the Son of God” (Mark 15:39).

The same confession of the same centurion at the same scene, at the very moment, is reported in Luke also. But in Luke the Centurion is reported as saying:

“Certainly this man was innocent” (Luke 23:47).

In Luke the title Son of God is missing. Mark and Luke cannot both be right here. The confession is reported incorrectly in at least one Gospel

Hacker

Do Muslims believe that the only way to salvation is through belief in Jesus Christ's death on the cross? If not then why not? Why doesn the bible claim this to be true and the Koran doesn't, I'm not taking any sides, but I'm very curious. Do you believe you'll make it into heaven without believing in the death of the cross for our sins? If so, then why does it say in it in the bible that if we don't "accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior, then we will perish."

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
tlcmel said:
Do Muslims believe that the only way to salvation is through belief in Jesus Christ's death on the cross? If not then why not? Why doesn the bible claim this to be true and the Koran doesn't, I'm not taking any sides, but I'm very curious. Do you believe you'll make it into heaven without believing in the death of the cross for our sins? If so, then why does it say in it in the bible that if we don't "accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior, then we will perish."

These are my questions as well. :)

Hacker

dawny0826 said:
These are my questions as well. :)
Yes, and I worry about the people that DON'T believe in Jesus's death on the cross and I question it myself so I worry about it to, but it confuses me...but i'm praying for guidance and obviously i'm on this website for a reason right?:D ;) We will see.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
tlcmel said:
Yes, and I worry about the people that DON'T believe in Jesus's death on the cross and I question it myself so I worry about it to, but it confuses me...but i'm praying for guidance and obviously i'm on this website for a reason right?:D ;) We will see.

This is a great place to be!

I'm a Christian. Life via Christ is the cornerstone of my faith. It's a learning process though...one of those day by day things...I learn more and more each day just how much I have yet to understand...:D .

Islam

Do Muslims believe that the only way to salvation is through belief in Jesus Christ's death on the cross?

-No.

If not then why not?

For several reasons, 1- salvation comes through God (the one and only God not the trinity we dont believe in the the fact that God has a son and so on, we believe in One God who has No Partners)
2- We do not believe that Jesus died on the cross, we believe that God lifted him up into the sky to save him since God is Mercifull he wouldnt do such a thing to one of his Messengers (Not Son, God has no partners).

Why doesn the bible claim this to be true and the Koran doesn't.

As Muslims, we believe in all the prophets and messengers that Christians believe in (Abraham, Moses, Jesus Christ, all of them ..)
The Bible, has been changed over the course of the years. Ill send u a PM of a video debate about this. The Qur'an on the other hand has not been changed not even ONE Letter since it was revealed upon to Mohammed by the Angel Gabriel before 1400 years. Im not going 2 get into the fact that the Bible was changed etc, im going to talk common sence. How can salvaion come through believing in one of Gods creatures (Jesus Christ) and not through God? (Keep in mind we believe he was a Messenger, a great one, but not Gods son, or God himself and so on) So salvation comes through belief in God and doing good deads, worshiping him, being respectfull with everyone, being good to your neighbor, giving charity, having good manners (manners are the most important thing in Islam) and many other things.

Do you believe you'll make it into heaven without believing in the death of the cross for our sins?
Yes beacuse heaven comes through the God of the person that died on the cross not through the person that died on the cross. I believe that if I am a good servant of Allah (God, we use Allah when talking in English too to make it clear that were talking about the ONE God not the Trinity) if I follow his orders, Inshalah (God willing) I will go to heaven. But what about my sins?? How are they to be forgiven? Thats why I pray to Allah (God) and thank him and ask him for his forgiveness because he is the most Mercifull. As humans (no matter what ur relegion is) we tend to sin A LOT. And God is very kind and mercifull so if you ask him to forgive you he most likely will! In Islam we say "Astagfuroo Allah" meaning I repent to god from my sins. You just say it without going to a Father or Pope and so on because ones relationship with his God is only between him and his God with no "links". Givving charity and money to the poor is a way to get your sins forgiven too. Simply put, be a good person.

If so, then why does it say in it in the bible that if we don't "accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior, then we will perish.

As I said, the Bible unfortanetly has been changed over the years that why God sent his finall messenger (Mohammed) who wasnt a Messenger to Israel only or a certain group of people, he was a Messenger to all mankind to unite them under one religion.
As for your question you should ask a Christian about that because I dont believe that Christ was our Lord, I believe that he was a Messenger of God. Think of it, if you own a bussiness store and you dicover that your employees have been stealing from you, but you don want to fire them, what would you do? You would bring your son and kill him and say to them, here iv killed my own son to forgive you? That isnt even Mercifull and it isnt Justice. We also believed that Jesus told the people that a prophet will come after me and his name is Ahmed (same as Mohammed in the Arabic language) interestingly enough "Eudokia" means Ahmadiyeh (Luke ii.14) when translated.

To sum up, we believe that All of Gods Messengers and Prophets since Adam to Jesus to Mohammed peace be upon them, preached one same message: the surrendering of yourself to God and only him the one and only God who has no partners and o family. Just one God. Almost all of the books have been changed, thats why God sent his finall prophet (the prophet from Arabia as mentioned in the Bible) and this time gave us his word that the Quran will stay the way it is (and it has been until this very day)

(Inshala (God willing) ill post a chapter from the Holly Quran called "Marry" (the virgin Marry) and it speaks about Jesus and his birth etc :)

Islam

i tried posting it but the text is too long, ill post the link when i can (cuz im new) today hopefully i will post it

getinfo

hello islam, that was a very nice post. i'm new to this forum and as i was reading this thread i felt u have good knowledge of religion. i would like to ask you something

as quran accepts jesus, moses, mohammad... as messengers of god then how come u can have so many contradictions in Quran and Bible as both have come from his messengers, forgive me if the question is wrong as i don't have much knowledge of religion

Cordoba

Hello Getinfo and welcome to the forum.

There is no contradiction between The Qur'an and the original Bible revealed from God.

Genna

To Islam,

Most Christians believe that Jesus was sinless, do Muslims believe the same about their prophet muhammad?

getinfo

Cordoba said:
Hello Getinfo and welcome to the forum.

There is no contradiction between The Qur'an and the original Bible revealed from God.

Thank you.
what do u mean when u say ORIGINAL bible, do u mean to say the bible that exist today is a modified version, and if modified why was it modified and who did it. i've heard that christians believe in Trinity where as Islam rejects it, and by the way what is meant by trinity. I know islam is a great religion and why is it perceived in West as this religion ill-treates woman. Waiting eagerly for the reply.