• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Jews believe about the rebuilding of the temple?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What do Jews believe about the restoration or rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem? For instance, Ezekiel chapter 34 speaks of bringing the people back to the land.

YoursTrue

Very interesting. I was reading also on chabad, but earlier, that the Jews will have to go back to Israel, is that right? From what the link you provided says, and I thank you for it, opinions vary as to how it will happen, and as I understand certain things, prophecy is really only known in its fulfullment. :) Before the fulfillment, it's like considered speculation or interpretation.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Very interesting. I was reading also on chabad, but earlier, that the Jews will have to go back to Israel, is that right? From what the link you provided says, and I thank you for it, opinions vary as to how it will happen, and as I understand certain things, prophecy is really only known in its fulfullment. :) Before the fulfillment, it's like considered speculation or interpretation.
The main idea is that the Temple will be rebuilt during the Messianic Era or by the Messiah/his oversight; and the Messiah will usher the lost of Israel back to the land (the 10 lost tribes will return). The Temple will be again the central place of worship (as non-Jews will also go there).

These have been the expectations derived from the text for centuries now, so it seems rather more than speculation.

Wandering Monk

I wonder how widespread support for a Temple is in Israel, given that only about 20% of the population is observant. At least one of these observant groups (Haredi's) opposes the existence of Israel as a nation because they believe the regathering is supposed to be a job of the Messiah.

Flankerl

At least one of these observant groups (Haredi's) opposes the existence of Israel as a nation because they believe the regathering is supposed to be a job of the Messiah.

Nah that's not true.
Though it's a non-Jewish pastime to act as if Haredim are a unified group.

Reactions: CBM

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As a note: Jews comprise those who follow Judaism and those that don't. Those who practice Judaism range from orthodox, conservative, reform and reconstructionist with no universally accepted meaning of almost anything including the temple.

YoursTrue

Anyway, Ezekiel 34 says that the gathered ones will have to get rid of all disgusting idols.
The main idea is that the Temple will be rebuilt during the Messianic Era or by the Messiah/his oversight; and the Messiah will usher the lost of Israel back to the land (the 10 lost tribes will return). The Temple will be again the central place of worship (as non-Jews will also go there).

These have been the expectations derived from the text for centuries now, so it seems rather more than speculation.
The prophecies are there in the holy scriptures. And according to articles at chabad, there are various opinions as to the fulfillment of the rebuilding. I'll look at the article again. So while it was foretold that a restoration would take place, again...it is evident that there are various opinions as to how and when. Someone asked me what the Jews believe about the restoration. I guess DNA testing will be in the picture?

YoursTrue

As a note: Jews comprise those who follow Judaism and those that don't. Those who practice Judaism range from orthodox, conservative, reform and reconstructionist with no universally accepted meaning of almost anything including the temple.
Thank you. Which is what I gleaned from the answers.

YoursTrue

I wonder how widespread support for a Temple is in Israel, given that only about 20% of the population is observant. At least one of these observant groups (Haredi's) opposes the existence of Israel as a nation because they believe the regathering is supposed to be a job of the Messiah.
Let's say what you say is true regarding the observant Jewish population. Then I wonder what is supposed to happen. But I don't want to get too deep into this, because as I said, speculations abound, just wondering about the beliefs re: the rebuilding of the temple, and Ezekiel's prophesy.

YoursTrue

As far as speculations go, I was talking not about the texts themselves regarding the regrouping of Israel and the rebuilding of the temple, but rather the speculations of the rabbis in reference to the fulfillment of those texts.

YoursTrue

1. Any post that asks "what do Jews believe" strikes me as problematic, but legitimate.
  2. In my opinion "rebuilding the temple" (and all that that suggests) is an archaic and disgusting goal.
Some may find The Tabernacle: A Post-Exilic Polemic Against Rebuilding the Temple interesting.
Maybe I should have asked what anyone, not only Jews, believe about the rebuilding of the temple, you're Jewish but say the idea of rebuilding is disgusting? Just wondering. I'm sure you have your reasons, but it seems apparent that many among Jews, especially the orthodox, believe the temple will be rebuilt. But they don't agree as to the what, how, when, or why. My friend was listening to a broadcast about this and she asked me about it, so I am going to ask her if it was a Jew or maybe a "Jew for Jesus," broadcasting. Or maybe a Noahide. She probably doesn't know but I will ask her anyway. I'm beginning to understand your viewpoint, thanks. But I did want to explain what is believed among the "Jewish" population. Interesting subject. We'll see.