• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do I need to do to believe in Christ.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I've been reading through the bible lately. I think part of it Is trying to find faith again as I miss the whole thing. I get very frustrated when I can't seem to find any answers that satisfy and can't honestly seem to come to grips with faith in general.

So i'm just going to ask, what exactly do I need to do to gain faith in Christ and God? What kind of recommendations can I try to see if it will help me along?

any answers would be appreciated.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You need to know what you believe. If God exists god is only interpreted by man and any interpretation is going to have parts that are misleading. This is further complicated by most of the writings are old and not relate-able in the same manner today.

Here's a different understanding of the parables of Jesus I just came across as an example.
Why Jesus' parables make us uncomfortable - CNN.com

If God exists then God is a part of everything not just the creator but creation itself. If that is true than God is part of you and all you need to do is understand that part. I found it through seeking and being honest with myself. It took much time and effort but it was worth the peace of mind I found. You are not me and can not follow my path but whatever your path you must be open minded, honest to yourself and patient.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
If God exists then God is a part of everything not just the creator but creation itself. If that is true than God is part of you and all you need to do is understand that part. I found it through seeking and being honest with myself. It took much time and effort but it was worth the peace of mind I found. You are not me and can not follow my path but whatever your path you must be open minded, honest to yourself and patient.

Excellent advice!

It is very hard 2 patient when it seems you are making no progress ... but it is worth it in the end.

A good belief system is one that helps you to become a kinder, more compassionate human being.

Cheers!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been reading through the bible lately. I think part of it Is trying to find faith again as I miss the whole thing. I get very frustrated when I can't seem to find any answers that satisfy and can't honestly seem to come to grips with faith in general.
You can never be the same person twice I think. I think Christian life involves some frustration and some not knowing.

So i'm just going to ask, what exactly do I need to do to gain faith in Christ and God? What kind of recommendations can I try to see if it will help me along?
Just forgive other people, and admit you need to improve. Take unforgiveness and command it to be gone. Then you are Christian.

There is a famous quote in the gospels "“Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." (Mark 11:23) This entire thing about faith and mountains is in the context of forgiving sins. The mountain Jesus is speaking of is the spite you hold against another person. That is, let things go. It is the core of Christianity.

RESOLUTION

It requires faith on your part and a sincere heart.

Sometimes it is knowing what truth we seek. Once I was in hospital awaiting an Xray and had been worried about what
they might find. I had talked with God and did not want to wait for results to return to my GP.
Whilst sat in the waiting room a lady walked from behind me and went into one of the offices. As she passed me the LORD told me she was a believer. Later she called my name and when I went in the room she was doing my xray. I asked her if she was a believer and told her what had happened in the waiting room. With a beaming smile she came over and hugged me and confirmed she was a believer.

Later in the waiting room when they had checked the xrays okay she took me to one side and smiled. She whispered everything looked fine on the xray. Then went back to work. In my life God has acted on occasions when I have needed something there and then. It is about knowing what God promises and what we really want.

Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door will be opened unto you.
If you are truly seeking the LORD, then just ask and believe. You will receive your answer.

Lorgar-Aurelian

You need to know what you believe. If God exists god is only interpreted by man and any interpretation is going to have parts that are misleading. This is further complicated by most of the writings are old and not relate-able in the same manner today.

Here's a different understanding of the parables of Jesus I just came across as an example.
Why Jesus' parables make us uncomfortable - CNN.com

Not to be rude but I thought DIR was only for people within said religion to answer?

idav

Being
Premium Member

One would have to believe in god in order to believe incarnations are possible. Though even getting a sense of what Christ is talking about doesn't require theism. Buddha seemed to describe a very similar ontology. What Buddhists, Christians and Hindus have in common, even with their diverse systems and cultural influence, they work to achieve oneness with god or ultimate reality, and they believe such a thing is attainable. Even from the science side of things I think the nature of reality has proven to be a lot more extraordinarily than we could even imagine and I believe higher awareness is possible.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Not to be rude but I thought DIR was only for people within said religion to answer?

I go to a catholic church. I was a lector. My kids are in CCD. I was married in a catholic church. I have all the sacraments.
I consider myself Christian.

Added context: I attended a Baptist Church and a New Age Christian church during my seeking and Unitarian church so my views are not fully Catholic.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

Actually, there is nothing you can do to gain faith. God gives faith to those He calls. Some people will try to say that God calls everyone but that is simply not true. If God wants you He will give you faith to follow Him.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

Take time to pray, meditate, read the Bible, read the writings of great Christian saints and mystics throughout the ages. (I especially recommend reading the Book of Psalms, the Wisdom of Solomon and the Wisdom of Sirach, and I have some recommendations for Christian mystics and saints as well if you're interested.) Go out and walk in nature, and just feel God's creation. Look at what Jesus commands us to do in the Gospels, and reflect how your life lines up to those standards. Then talk with Jesus about what's on your mind. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you through your life. Every moment we are alive is a moment we are with God--He's always with you, regardless of whether you're in a church building or not.

But if you do want to find a church or a community, I would heartily recommend doing so; having friends in Christ who can listen to you, pray with you, answer any questions you might have, and just be regular human beings with you can do wonders for your spiritual and personal life.

RESOLUTION

Is it the plague of modern belief which causes conflict amongst the answers?
There is two things you need to start with. Your own honesty and sincere desire to know the truth about God and the belief in the God whose words you follow.

At the very beginning in the Jewish religion we see the conflict in man.

Adam and Eve having received all things good and new from God. His providence supplies all they could want.
Then Satan the serpent whispers to eve and deceives her. Eve immediately believes that the God who has provided all
the good things she has is suddenly trying to keep something back from her. TO BE LIKE GOD. Who wouldn't like to be like
God who the bible says created all things Good by speaking them into being. But the deception was that eating that fruit would not make them like God the way Eve must have thought. No power to do what God does. But the same as God and all the host of heaven to know the difference between Good and Evil.

If you have ears then listen.... When in conflict then the Word of God is what I use to measure what it is I need to know.
Two points the Word of the OT and the Teachings of Christ. It was through these points I find my point of who Christ is.
Christ obeyed Gods words he not only knew them off by heart but he obeyed God. In him God gave us the final truth.
That meant Sadducee and Pharisee were no longer divided but united in one truth.

Our hearts decide whom we listen to.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Complete trust in the LORD with all your heart and believing him when he says giving him the problem
means he will direct thy paths.

Seek and you will find. The way of the Lord is to trust God with all your heart and acknowledge him and you will find the way.

This is just what I have learned and it has always stood me in good stead with the Father. Pray in faith and he will show
you the way. Believe him. Every persons relationship is between their God and themselves. I have found no other in whom I can trust this way, But we all make our own choices.

omega2xx

The first and main thing is to sincerely desire with all you heart to know Him.

Then pray and ask Him to reveal Himself too you.

2 Chronicles 15:15 - All Judah rejoiced concerning the oath they had sworn with their whole heart and had sought Him earnestly, and He let them find Him. Sod they had peace on every side.

Spiritual peace IMO.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

the Carpenter is my Inspiration
I believe His parables are sufficient

MJFlores

upload_2017-5-21_22-43-50.jpeg

1. What is your purpose?
  2. Is it to learn the truth?
  3. Look for a church to explain Christ and God to you - from the Bible.
  4. Listen
  5. Do you understand what they teach?
  6. Can they explain it?
  7. Ask questions, make it tough - if they do not entertain questions most likely they don't know what they preach.

upload_2017-5-21_22-58-59.jpeg

Romans 10:14
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?
And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?

djhwoodwerks

First of all, everyone has been given, "a measure of faith".

Romans 12:3 (ASV) 3 For I say, through the grace that was given me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think as to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to each man a measure of faith.

Secondly, the Bible says, faith comes by "HEARING" the Word of Christ, not 'READING'!

Romans 10:17 (ESV Strong's) 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Read the Bible out loud, so you can hear it. I have the Bible in MP3 format and listen on my iPod.

Dantedeven

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

I dont think that you can just wake up and have faith in God. Because think about it... does God have faith in you?.. Why should God have faith in you? Did you have faith in God for a very long time? And was revealed to you anything?... i don't know.

Just keep faithful to the decaloque, and accept the light, and love not this world, for the world is really just a bunch of hastily pasted together cardinal sins and a lot of sand and dust.... no instead of loving that, only love God, and God alone. Oh yeah! And never be scared or ashamed for anyone, ever!.. EVER! But always fear the One. And definately try to find a biblical book that you do understand. If you don't, don't worry. Because you can not force it. One day you'll wake up and boom, you'll have faith in God!

MJFlores

I've been looking at the different Jesus in the world apart from who Jesus is in the Bible. There are a lot of Jesus versions in the market and believing in these versions are misleading. It is like buying a fake version than the original.

If we are just meticulous in examining what is fake and what is real, then everything would be fine. Just as in choosing the source of our medicines, we should only buy those in a real drug store and examine the authenticity of those medicines. But what happens when we aren't? What would happen?

poisons.png

Well you've been had.

Same is true with 'buying a FAKE Jesus' and the Bible clearly says that people would be doing that.

2 Corinthians 11:4 New King James Version (NKJV)

For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it!

Accepting another Jesus, receiving a different spirit or receiving a different gospel is like taking in fake medication. The end result would be devastating.