• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do I need to be saved from?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I am confident that I am Christian if that is what you ask; I know some religions believes, however I cannot state I know all the beliefs.
Perhaps another religion is symmetrical to my beliefs, however I still present myself as a Christian.
The question really wasn't what you believe, but rather why you are so confident. When there are zillions of belief systems and worldviews out there? And you don't actually know about all the teachings of even a small fraction of them.
Tom

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
To you sir yes, I understand your point; however for me, I strongly believe in what Christianity stands for.

Soren Kierkegaard both believed Christianity to be absurd and strongly believed in it. I always found his brand of faith refreshing compare to the common drivel that passes for "faith" in our modern times, because unlike so many he could openly admit it was absurd and still have faith in it.

ClearPath

Premium Member
Soren Kierkegaard both believed Christianity to be absurd and strongly believed in it. I always found his brand of faith refreshing compare to the common drivel that passes for "faith" in our modern times, because unlike so many he could openly admit it was absurd and still have faith in it.
It is strange and unique and very, very old. I don't have all the answers, however it is an individualistic journey.

ClearPath

Premium Member
The question really wasn't what you believe, but rather why you are so confident. When there are zillions of belief systems and worldviews out there? And you don't actually know about all the teachings of even a small fraction of them.
Tom
Agreed I do not; I cannot be 100% confident that there are other religions out there that are very similar.
I believe in Jesus, God and The Bible and I classify as a Christian; I have been Christened in a Christian Church. There isn't much more I can say.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Agreed I do not; I cannot be 100% confident that there are other religions out there that are very similar.
I believe in Jesus, God and The Bible and I classify as a Christian; I have been Christened in a Christian Church. There isn't much more I can say.
Maybe the Truest religion doesn't even resemble a heretical blend of Judaism and Hellenic concepts.
Tom

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So in a way, this God is like a bastion of hope? A beacon of light? That sort of thing?
Yes. God is my hope and gives me the strength to do what I know for the will of God.
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold resolutely to the hope we confess, for He who promised is faithful.

I wonder if a bad translation of 2 Peter 2:9 might cause some believers in God's word to think that you must be warned that if you do not believe, God will hold you to the judgment of God to be punished.

I think that maybe what the writer was saying is that it is unrighteous to "keep guard" over
κολαζομένους to keep it.

It means that to believe in κολαζομένους (being punished) is not something that a righteous person does.

To be trusting that God's will is to punish anyone is to believe that there has to be someone or other to punish.

Does anyone understand?

If life is really in God's image, any crime committed is an illusion that becomes real by believing in it.

Therefore, to be saved means to be saved from belief. How to learn it without losing belief in The God. I don't know.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Oooh! This is intriguing. Can you unpack that thought a little more for us?
Well, waaay back when, Christianity actually used to play with others quite nicely. Temples in Rome offered depictions that served as that of Jesus, Orpheus, and Apollo, and everyone got along fine.

Then Christianity became the state religion. And then the only religion.

But how do you enforce monotheism? People seem to have a tendency towards polytheism (if they have a theistic inclination,) so it's quite hard to insist that there's only one god. Amenhotep tried introducing punishments and outlawing, but Christianity took it one step further. Fear.

Those other gods that you feel an inclination towards? They're not really gods, they're demons and devils; agents of Satan trying to turn you from the One True Path. They're out for your soul, which is the part of you that lives forever, and if they get it... well, you'll suffer forever. Turn to this god, because he can stop this from happening.

But why go through all that trouble? Simply put, because monotheism is a theological aberration. It requires constant verification and affirmation. And we truly see this not just in America, but the world over whenever the stage is broadened. Every time non-christians gain a little bit of ground, we see a flood of movies and plays and politicians touting christianity, reminding us of those things that we need to fear. "The Devil's out to get you, godless nations assault us in their anger and sin; God will save you and God bless America." We even see it here, when there's new of Paganism gaining social ground. Even though it's decades away from anything that christianity enjoys.

So that's what you need saved from; christianity's social insecurity and tentative grip on society. It's not your soul being saved, but their illusion of legitimacy.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
It is strange and unique and very, very old. I don't have all the answers, however it is an individualistic journey.

"it is an individualistic journey"

Ya I don't buy that nonsense either, there are herds of Christians all yammering the same things over and over. It is far more individualistic to break away from the herd.

InChrist

Free4ever
Maybe the Truest religion doesn't even resemble a heretical blend of Judaism and Hellenic concepts.
Tom
Or maybe the truest religion, which saves and provides eternal life, is not a religion at all, but a real and living relationship with the Creator of heaven and earth..

InChrist

Free4ever
...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)

Not one person who has ever lived (except Jesus Christ), has lived up to the standard and perfection of God. Most people freely admit this. Anyone who claims to be perfect is a liar. I believe the scriptures indicate that God's plan in progress is creating an eternal reality of perfect goodness, joy, peace, and love. The message of the Bible is that each person has the choice to desire this with Him and be saved from their selfish, sinfulness through the perfect life of Christ or not.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Or maybe the truest religion, which saves and provides eternal life, is not a religion at all, but a real and living relationship with the Creator of heaven and earth..
I rather agree with you here. I just don't find a bunch of humans telling me what God must have meant by this or that English translation of ancient Scripture at all compelling. If God will deliver messages directly to prophets of old, He will deliver messages to me if He feels it important for me to know.
Tom

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The people of Earth can be saved from atrophy, as a whole, and as individuals.
If you won't be a part of the solution, you might be a part of the problem.
Jesus saves me from ever believing that I was a part of the problem if all fails.

I have observed that to be a Christian means to believe that God can't fail and that
God will win the Earth in the end. I don't believe that. But even if all fails, I shall be saved
from SHAME in Jesus Christ's name.

Is it not written that the whole world will grieve? Matthew 24:30

InChrist

Free4ever
I rather agree with you here. I just don't find a bunch of humans telling me what God must have meant by this or that English translation of ancient Scripture at all compelling. If God will deliver messages directly to prophets of old, He will deliver messages to me if He feels it important for me to know.
Tom
And I agree with you. I think it is very important to read the scriptures seeking to hear from God directly. I have no doubt that anyone who sincerely seeks God for guidance and answers will receive them. Maybe not audibly or in the way expected, but provided, nevertheless. Although, I personally believe He had a purpose for speaking to certain prophets historically and for making sure the words were recorded and preserved everyone is responsible to test the meaning and determine the truth for themselves, rather than simply believe the interpretations of others.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, waaay back when, Christianity actually used to play with others quite nicely. Temples in Rome offered depictions that served as that of Jesus, Orpheus, and Apollo, and everyone got along fine.

Then Christianity became the state religion. And then the only religion.

But how do you enforce monotheism? People seem to have a tendency towards polytheism (if they have a theistic inclination,) so it's quite hard to insist that there's only one god. Amenhotep tried introducing punishments and outlawing, but Christianity took it one step further. Fear.

Those other gods that you feel an inclination towards? They're not really gods, they're demons and devils; agents of Satan trying to turn you from the One True Path. They're out for your soul, which is the part of you that lives forever, and if they get it... well, you'll suffer forever. Turn to this god, because he can stop this from happening.

But why go through all that trouble? Simply put, because monotheism is a theological aberration. It requires constant verification and affirmation. And we truly see this not just in America, but the world over whenever the stage is broadened. Every time non-christians gain a little bit of ground, we see a flood of movies and plays and politicians touting christianity, reminding us of those things that we need to fear. "The Devil's out to get you, godless nations assault us in their anger and sin; God will save you and God bless America." We even see it here, when there's new of Paganism gaining social ground. Even though it's decades away from anything that christianity enjoys.

So that's what you need saved from; christianity's social insecurity and tentative grip on society. It's not your soul being saved, but their illusion of legitimacy.

I wish I can post this on my Facebook :p to all my Christian family members who just love posting about the influence of the easter bunny and how it has on real christians taking people to satan by painting eggs that most likely didn't have any connection to what they believe back when.

Nice comeback.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you read "God against the Gods," @The Ragin Pagan ?

I never quite finished it. Need to get back to it.

"it is an individualistic journey"

Ya I don't buy that nonsense either, there are herds of Christians all yammering the same things over and over. It is far more individualistic to break away from the herd.

Is it? That'd make a good thread starter. I watch all of these "individuals" breaking away from "the herd" and scratch my head and go "wait... aren't they all doing the same "herd" thing too by breaking away? CONFORMISTS!" :D