• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do I care?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
When confronted, just tell them you are getting chemotherapy for cancer. See if that shuts them up.
I recently saw a video from S. California, where a group staged an anti-mask, anti-vaccine protest outside a hospital, and a woman confronted them telling them that she had to wear a mask and couldn't get vaccinated because she was getting chemo for breast cancer. That didn't seem to matter with the protesters.

Some of these folks are truly vile people (as described and shown in the OP).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. If someone drives drunk and gets in a wreck, I don't feel bad for them. If someone jumps into the tiger exhibit at the zoo and gets attacked, I don't feel bad for them. If someone ignores evacuation orders, stays home during a wildfire, and gets burned I don't feel bad for them.

It's not a numbers issue for me.

I find it weird some don't have empathy for humans for the same of all being human. I can't imagine a world where we only care about those who fit our criteria of morality.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I find it weird some don't have empathy for humans for the same of all being human. I can't imagine a world where we only care about those who fit our criteria of morality.
I find it weird that people don't have empathy for their fellow humans by refusing to get vaccinated during a pandemic that's killed millions, and allowing themselves to serve as incubators for more deadly strains.

Actually, "weird" isn't the proper term....more like "infuriating".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I find it weird that people don't have empathy for their fellow humans by refusing to get vaccinated during a pandemic that's killed millions, and allowing themselves to serve as incubators for more deadly strains.

I believe vaccinated are making themselves angry because unlike a car crash we don't know who is asymptomatic. That fear of not knowing and the general idea there are unvaccinated people isn't the blame since we can't control others behaviors. There's no use in getting mad over the idea that some don't vaccinate because we just don't know their level risk and the fact of whether they are asymptomatic.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I believe vaccinated are making themselves angry because unlike a car crash we don't know who is asymptomatic. That fear of not knowing and the general idea there are unvaccinated people isn't the blame since we can't control others behaviors. There's no use in getting mad over the idea that some don't vaccinate because we just don't know their level risk and the fact of whether they are asymptomatic.
Meh....so the guy drove drunk.....why does that make you angry? You don't know which drivers are sober or drunk, and we can't control others' behaviors.

See how dumb that sounds?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It is NOT obsolete. It has been extensively tested, even in the real world (hundreds of millions vaccinated at this point).

It is far, far, far better to get the shots than it is to get COVID.

But, this type of behavior is nothing new. When masks were recommended for the Spanish flu, some people balked. Many died. When the polio vaccine came out, some people refused to get it. Fortunately most people did. It worked.

In this pandemic, it seems that there are some that *consistently* refuse to listen to reason and thereby put themselves *and others* at risk. This is NOT just a bad flu. This is NOT a hoax. And masks and vaccines *help*. They are NOT a cure, but they are a help in the fight. And if people acted like adults and not little children, we would be in a much better position now than we are. We could have prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths.
So, apparently, I'm supposed to disbelieve what I see with my own eyes and go with what I'm told? That's unlikely to happen.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Do you really want to play the anecdote game?

I'm elderly. I got the shot. I had a slightly sore arm the next day for a few hours. I have had no side effects whatsoever.

I have a forty-year-old relative. Before the vaccine became available to her, she got a very mild case of Covid. No hospitalization was needed. Now, months later, she is counted among the long-haulers. She suffers from fatigue and pain and occasional mental acuity lapses.

Your above comment shows your ignorance on multiple levels.

Since all the information out there belies your comment, I'll rephrase.

Your above comment shows your wilful ignorance on multiple levels.​
I'll take what I actually see happening, over what someone tells me, thank you.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So, apparently, I'm supposed to disbelieve what I see with my own eyes and go with what I'm told? That's unlikely to happen.

I don't know. Have you had the opportunity to see those who have been dying in the hospitals? Do you work in an intensive care unit? Do you have any expertise in epidemiology or microbiology? How do you collect the information upon which you base your ideas?

What have you seen that makes you believe what you do? Is it possible it is a rare case? Have you done a large scale study to determine that? Are you sure you have interpreted what you saw correctly? What confounding events could have happened?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Meh....so the guy drove drunk.....why does that make you angry? You don't know which drivers are sober or drunk, and we can't control others' behaviors.

There's no use of getting angry when you (people/generalizing) don't know whether the guy was sober or not. You can guess based on the swerving but you don't know.

If it were me I'd get angry if I knew someone was asymptomatic and he decides to be around people intentionally.

That way "I know for a fact" he's putting people in danger. Since being unvaccinated tells me nothing about whether he is sick or not, no use of angering myself over an possibility.

We can make ourselves upset because we don't know whose sick and whose not. Some people are justified in their worry. Being mindful that other people can't control how you think and your opinions.

I believe we worry more about things we don't know more than things we know.

Example. When someone has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness they ask what's the worse that can happen.

Being unvaccinated tells me nothing about the health of that person. Better stick to facts and base anger off of that not possibilities.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I don't know. Have you had the opportunity to see those who have been dying in the hospitals? Do you work in an intensive care unit? Do you have any expertise in epidemiology or microbiology? How do you collect the information upon which you base your ideas?

What have you seen that makes you believe what you do? Is it possible it is a rare case? Have you done a large scale study to determine that? Are you sure you have interpreted what you saw correctly? What confounding events could have happened?
Yes I have people in my family working in health care, so I know some people have died from it.
And the studies are not something I'm likely to trust, especially those being done by people that profit from the vaccine.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

You'd have to rephrase. I personally get mad with people's behaviors and what they sometimes say but I don't judge them as a person. That's me, though.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

That and I didn't say it made me angry. I have empathy for the person not the behavior (even if he was drink....I wouldnt know).

I actually don't get angry. Backstory behind that.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Don’t worry. If something really horrible happened to you and your loved ones, I probably wouldn’t feel any empathy either. I mean, why would I?
Try and think in something other than a black/white manner. I'm not saying I have no empathy for everyone who has bad things happen to them. I'm saying I have no empathy for people who have bad things happen to them.....and this is the important part so pay attention.....specifically because they rejected and flaunted simple safety measures, refused to undertake any preventative measures, thumbed their noses at experts, and deliberately and knowingly put the rest of us at increased risk.

Try and avoid black/white thinking as much as you can.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not going to feed into your need for attention.

You're making it personal when it does not need to be. I honestly don't know why.

This is me in a RF debate
61112_ebe6d5e1b8bcedd2305b4d3a06e0860e.jpg

No need to get upset over a conversation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, I know we have plenty of COVID and vaccine threads, but I saw two things this morning that led me to the same point.....if these people get COVID and die (or get terribly sick and suffer long-term effects), am I supposed to care? Am I supposed to feel bad for them? Am I supposed to feel empathy?

First up, attendees at a St. Louis County Council meeting regarding mask mandates, this happened to the Director of the Dept. of Health...

"After my presentation was completed, I tried to leave the chamber but was confronted by several people who were in the aisle," Khan wrote. "On more than one occasion, I was shoulder-bumped and pushed. As I approached the exit and immediately outside the chambers, I became surrounded by the crowd in close quarters, where members of the crowd yelled at me, calling me a 'fat brown c--t' and a 'brown *******.'”

After the meeting, it was revealed that one person there has tested positive for COVID.

Then there's notorious hate preacher Greg Locke. You have to watch, as me trying to describe it wouldn't adequately capture the combination of lunacy and anger. https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1421886805427867654?s=20

So let's say some of the people at the STL County meeting and/or at Locke's service get COVID and die. You know what my reaction is? A big shrug of the shoulders, a smirk, and "Oh well". I have absolutely no inclination towards empathy or anything like that. In fact, what I actually fight is the instinct in the other direction, namely thinking "Good! One less hateful dumb a** in the population!"

Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded, but I've gotten to the point where I make no apologies for feeling this way. Sometimes, some people get exactly what they deserve.
Now your getting it.

You can have empathy but you don't have to care because people can take care of themselves or choose not to.

It's up to them. Not up to you.

Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

That's how the world works.

ecco

Veteran Member
I'll take what I actually see happening, over what someone tells me, thank you.

It's too bad they don't let you into Covid wards where you could see people suffering.

You will never see the serum in the covid vaccine hang around inside a person and then attack the virus and kill it.

Therefore, you will not ever believe the value of covid vaccines.

How much of your logic is based on your religious beliefs?

ecco

Veteran Member
If it were me I'd get angry if I knew someone was asymptomatic and he decides to be around people intentionally.

Did you really mean "asymptomatic"?

People who don't have covid are asymptomatic.
People who recently contracted covid are asymptomatic for a brief period (several days) of time but can still infect others.
Some people who have covid can be asymptomatic and can still infect others.
People who show signs of being infected are considered to be symptomatic.

I would be angry at someone who was symptomatic and decided to be around other people.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Did you really mean "asymptomatic"?

People who don't have covid are asymptomatic.
People who recently contracted covid are asymptomatic for a brief period (several days) of time but can still infect others.
Some people who have covid can be asymptomatic and can still infect others.
People who show signs of being infected are considered to be symptomatic.

I would be angry at someone who was symptomatic and decided to be around other people.

I "would" be angry with both if I knew whose asymptomatic and whose symptomatic. I don't angry myself over other people's health choices if a. I don't know about their health and intentions and b. it's none of my personal business.

I was telling @Jose Fly that there's no use getting angry with unknown factors.

Nothing more than that.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
I "would" be angry with both if I knew whose asymptomatic and whose symptomatic. I don't angry myself over other people's health choices if a. I don't know about their health and intentions and b. it's none of my personal business.

I was telling @Jose Fly that there's no use getting angry at unknown factors.

Nothing more than that.
So, you really don't know the meaning of asymptomatic. OK.