• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Catholics believe regarding the resurrection?

jonny

What does the Catholic church teach regarding the resurrection? I am interested in the teachings regarding both Christ and our resurrection.

Thanks!

Scott1

We firmly believe, and hence we hope that, just as Christ is truly risen from the dead and lives for ever, so after death the righteous will live for ever with the risen Christ and he will raise them up on the last day.

Belief in the resurrection of the dead has been an essential element of the Christian faith from its beginnings. "The confidence of Christians is the resurrection of the dead; believing this we live." (Tertullian, De res. 1,1:pL 2,841.)

How can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised; if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. . . . But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep.(1 Cor 15:12-14.)

Hope that helps.
Scott

jonny

Thanks Scott,

That was helpful.

I guess I'm also looking for a definition of what resurrection is according to Catholics. For example, in the LDS church, the resurrection is the reuniting of the body and the spirit. We believe that when Christ was resurrected that his spirit and body were reunited. Also, that each of our spirits will be reunited with our bodies again. Is this consistent with Catholic teachings?

Scott1

jonny said:
For example, in the LDS church, the resurrection is the reuniting of the body and the spirit. We believe that when Christ was resurrected that his spirit and body were reunited. Also, that each of our spirits will be reunited with our bodies again. Is this consistent with Catholic teachings?
Other than possible confusion about what "spirit" may mean, I would have to say yes.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

How do the dead rise?

997 What is "rising"? In death, the separation of the soul from the body, the human body decays and the soul goes to meet God, while awaiting its reunion with its glorified body. God, in his almighty power, will definitively grant incorruptible life to our bodies by reuniting them with our souls, through the power of Jesus' Resurrection.

998 Who will rise? All the dead will rise, "those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment."

999 How? Christ is raised with his own body: "See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself", but he did not return to an earthly life. So, in him, "all of them will rise again with their own bodies which they now bear," but Christ "will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body," into a "spiritual body".

jonny

Thanks! That does sound consistent with our teachings. I believe that what the Catholic church calls the "soul" we call the "spirit."

I was going to give you frubals for helping me out, but it looks like I'll have to come back later after I spread them around! :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jonny said:
Thanks! That does sound consistent with our teachings. I believe that what the Catholic church calls the "soul" we call the "spirit."

I was going to give you frubals for helping me out, but it looks like I'll have to come back later after I spread them around! :)
I think you will find that the use of the word 'Soul' in the Catholic faith is to distinguish the Soul of someone from the Holy Spirit.;)

Scott1

jonny said:
"...(S)oul" also refers to the innermost aspect of man, that which is of greatest value in him, that by which he is most especially in God's image: "soul" signifies the spiritual principle in man."

Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people "wholly", with "spirit and soul and body" kept sound and blameless at the Lord's coming (1 Thess 5:23). The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul. "Spirit" signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Scott1 said:
How do the dead rise?

997 What is "rising"? In death, the separation of the soul from the body, the human body decays and the soul goes to meet God, while awaiting its reunion with its glorified body. God, in his almighty power, will definitively grant incorruptible life to our bodies by reuniting them with our souls, through the power of Jesus' Resurrection.

999 How? Christ is raised with his own body: "See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself", but he did not return to an earthly life. So, in him, "all of them will rise again with their own bodies which they now bear," but Christ "will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body," into a "spiritual body".
Scott,

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by a "spiritual body"? I ask because of another statement you made awhile back, which appears to contradict these quotes. I probably just misunderstood you, but I want to make sure.

Maybe you could compare your belief to mine; that way I might be able to understand it a little bit better. I believe that our spirits (souls) will be reunited with our bodies, but that our bodies will be immortal, i.e. no longer subject to disease, injury, death, etc. They will be perfect, i.e. without deformity or handicap, but will otherwise appear pretty much as they do now.

Thanks,
Kathryn

the phrase "spiritual body" in this instance means what you articulated: a "glorified body". so it appears that your beliefs are the same.