• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do all the different religions on this board think of lucid dreaming?

Frank Goad

What do all the different religions on this board think of lucid dreaming?I am asking all religions this question.

Frank Goad

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.Please move it to the right place if it isn't in the right forum.

Skwim

Veteran Member
We agnostics don't think much of it at all. Just another odd mental phenomenon, no more interesting than déjà vu.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
As a Jungian concerned with individuation, lucid dreaming is one of the most powerful tools you can use for depth psychology. You can trigger lucid dreaming through mindful walking meditation. (When you know you are walking when you are walking, you may realize when you aren't actually walking--walking in a dream. When you realize you are dreaming, that is when you can get a whole lot of work done, as you have a good connection to your unconscious mind.)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Lucid dreaming is just another aberration that some people experience. It is actually dreaming while you are awake. Like delusions, they are often hard to distinguish from reality. People need help to identify which are which. My grandson sometimes has night terrors where he is "awake" but in an altered state of consciousness....seeing awful things as if they were real. As he gets older he is less bothered by them.

Lucid dreaming is not an uncommon experience and science has not been able to tap into the inner reaches of the human mind to solve its many mysteries. Like hypnosis for example......no one really knows what part of human consciousness is tapped into when in a hypnotic state. But it can override inhibitions and feed the mind with suggestions that can alter human behavior......a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. It needs professional guidance to manage it.

crossfire

Premium Member
Lucid dreaming is just another aberration that some people experience. It is actually dreaming while you are awake. Like delusions, they are often hard to distinguish from reality. People need help to identify which are which.
You are asleep when you lucid dream. By definition, lucid dreaming is knowing that you are dreaming, so there isn't any problem with distinguishing it from reality, since you already know and acknowledge that you are asleep and dreaming.
My grandson sometimes has night terrors where he is "awake" but in an altered state of consciousness....seeing awful things as if they were real. As he gets older he is less bothered by them.
What your grandson is experiencing is probably the hypnagogic state.
Hypnagogia - Wikipedia

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You are asleep when you lucid dream. By definition, lucid dreaming is knowing that you are dreaming, so there isn't any problem with distinguishing it from reality, since you already know and acknowledge that you are asleep and dreaming.

What your grandson is experiencing is probably the hypnagogic state.
Hypnagogia - Wikipedia

Thank you.....the strange thing is that he only has these terrors when he has a fever. When he gets sick we know to watch out for them. His Mother bought him a queen sized bed so that she can jump in with him to comfort him and distract him from what he is seeing until he can get back to sleep.

Axe Elf

Prophet
The definition i am using here George-ananda is this one: What is Lucid Dreaming?

@Jollybear 's gonna love this:

This is a safe and natural state. It is not anything spooky or paranormal (in fact, out of body experiences are thought to be explained by the lucid dream state). With lucid dreams, you are always asleep in bed.

So much for OBEs being anything more than imagination or a dream...

Through most of my high school years, and on into college, I kept notebooks in which I wrote down as much of my dreams as I could as soon as I woke up. It was kind of cool to go back and be able to remember dreams I had years ago, as focusing on them immediately upon waking and writing them down helped commit them to memory, almost as much as if they had been real experiences.

An accidental consequence of this heightened awareness of my dreams was that I began to have lucid dreams (although I didn't know that was what they were called) on a regular basis. My dream world became like an alternate reality, where I could fly, breathe underwater, make out with hotties, whatever I wanted to do, as I was aware that I was dreaming almost every night there for a while. I remember a few times trying to explain to people in my dreams that they weren't real people, they were just people in my dreams. They were always adamant that no, they were in fact real people, until I did something (like fly) that made them admit that this was in fact, my world, and they were just living in it.

After I fell out of the habit of writing down my dreams, the experience of lucid dreams has become less frequent, though it has not extinguished entirely.

@Jollybear 's gonna love this:

So much for OBEs being anything more than imagination or a dream...

Through most of my high school years, and on into college, I kept notebooks in which I wrote down as much of my dreams as I could as soon as I woke up. It was kind of cool to go back and be able to remember dreams I had years ago, as focusing on them immediately upon waking and writing them down helped commit them to memory, almost as much as if they had been real experiences.

An accidental consequence of this heightened awareness of my dreams was that I began to have lucid dreams (although I didn't know that was what they were called) on a regular basis. My dream world became like an alternate reality, where I could fly, breathe underwater, make out with hotties, whatever I wanted to do, as I was aware that I was dreaming almost every night there for a while. I remember a few times trying to explain to people in my dreams that they weren't real people, they were just people in my dreams. They were always adamant that no, they were in fact real people, until I did something (like fly) that made them admit that this was in fact, my world, and they were just living in it.

After I fell out of the habit of writing down my dreams, the experience of lucid dreams has become less frequent, though it has not extinguished entirely.

Pure ignorence.

You got plugs in your ears. Ive had normal dreams. Ive had lucid dreams too. Lucid dreams are different then normal dreams.

OBEs are DIFFERENT then lucid dreams. The sensation, the experience, is all different. If you have one, youl know.

Here, these folks will tell you too >

15 Differences between Out of Body Experience and Lucid Dreaming | Jade Shaw

17 Reasons Lucid Dreams and OBEs are Different

Out-of-Body Experiences vs. Lucid Dreams

crossfire

Premium Member
You cannot have an OBE with the body moving
Yes you can. I got knocked out of my body during childbirth. Major dissociation while my body was walking in shock. I watched my body walk from outside of it.

Yes you can. I got knocked out of my body during childbirth. Major dissociation while my body was walking in shock. I watched my body walk from outside of it.

Really? Huh, thats interesting. Well, i guess you can then.

However, if your doing this via meditation style, your body cannot be moving. Its got to be asleep and the mind awake.

Curious, how did you get knocked out?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What do all the different religions on this board think of lucid dreaming?I am asking all religions this question.
I got a good laugh out of many of the replies in this thread. Most human animals cannot give an informed opinion on lucid dreaming because they have not encountered the phenomena. If being generous, they assume it is like some fancy, neato dream, but of little import beyond that. It's sort of like asking a 6 year old what they think of orgasms.

As a veteran lucid dreamer, I actually was a long time lucid dreamer long before I ever heard the term. I don't think I ran into the term until I joined RF, mainly because I simply did not read anything on the topic as most of the information on the topic I had read to that point in time was ridiculous and completely uninformed.

@crossfire may agree with the following, maybe not, but I was able to use the inner stability gained in deep meditation and use that inherent focus to explore the art of lucid dreaming. And, it is an art-form in consciousness. To become fully aware and awake WITHIN a dream is an amazing thing and NEVER gets old. It's different every time and after awhile you just get good at it.