• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Africans believe in...

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've never looked into those religions you listed but I will now; thanks.
Let me know how you get on; we did have a member on here who had done a lot of research into Haitian Vodou, but I haven't seen him on for a while.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Africans have a variety of beliefs from animism, to spiritism, to Christianity and Islam if you count non-sub-saharan Africa (due to colonialism). It's a very broad question. Also Voudou originated in West africa.

EyeofOdin

Actually most countries HAVE converted to Christianity or Islam.

If you're asking about the beliefs of indigenous Africans, I have to ask, which ones?

In North Africa, there was a lot of Mediterranean influence, so it was common to see Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Phoenician and Canaanite deities in areas like Carthage. In Egypt and Northeast Africa, there was naturally a lot of devotion to Kemetic deities. In West Africa, there are many religions based in the deities indigenous there like Shango and Yemaya (religions including Voodoo, Santeria, Ifa etc.). In Southern Africa, there is an indigenous religion called San, which is also polytheistic.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, if by converted we mean "still practices many of their indigenous traditions regardless of taking up the label of Christian or Muslim." Or at least that's my understanding after reading through a primer on Yoruba specifically by Prothero.

Much like you my knowledge of African beliefs is that the general consensus seems to be for Christianity however I am aware the there is some mix incorporations like Santieria which believes in spiritual Afro Caribbean pagan deities to use the generic term hidden behind patron saints. I made a few visits to an urban parish some while back, during my time there I saw to one side of the Church shrine along with the images of the Madonna (Mary & Child) and saints a wooden pre-Christian primitive carving an African deity definitely non Christian standing there unmentioned and unchallenged, I am a true believer that one should not mix and match faiths and should keep a consistency of practice when following monotheist faiths , would but mention a thing? it had dust on it and given to reason there would only be another reason why it was there, some Africans practice Satanism which seems to be a new sensation amongst them here, practising a belief that excludes them of guilt or burden, I am not entirely sure how many Africans practice their indigenous beliefs, should they do so I care not so long as it dose not conflict with any of my beliefs, having to revert I practice a Western Indigenous unconventional religion, I wonder how many Africans are aware of that it is not just Wiccans and Druidism that are from the Western World, No I am not inviting them because American Indian beliefs grow from within , all in all' like you I have very little knowledge of Pre-Christian Africa, when I was on facebook a group of Americans said that they believe that the Africans are the new Israel if you understand what that mean? I totally disbelieve this statement because I am aware that many of them are capable of great evil, I say this from experience, whether they acted out of ignorance is another matter however ignorance dose not substitute an excuse for doing evil , you cannot prevent or win anyone over that way, evil bigots evil, the best thing to do to get the info you want about African religions is go to the library, that is what I would do, your a student so you will have extensive access to either discontinued literature or no generic literature, I notice that you use the name Cypress so your against the steeple?

GoodbyeDave

The traditional religions of Africa are like most paganism: belief in a creator, whose creations include gods to whom he delegates. They can often be combined with Christianity by simply equating the gods to angels. A good, simple introduction to African religion is John Mbiti's "Introduction to African religion"; he was both a professor and an Anglican priest.

The number of people practicing pure paganism varies: in Tanzania, for example, it's about 1/3 of the population. Obviously it's easier to be a pagan in a Christian country: in a Muslim one, it's a quick way to risk your life! A high proportion of Christian churches incorporate traditional beliefs, but that number is difficult to reckon.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As a Brazilian, I get my impression of what Native African beliefs should be mostly by way of Candomblé and Umbanda. They are fairly animist; I have had occasion to see a cult and mediunity was common practice.