1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Africans believe in...

Discussion in 'African religions DIR' started by Cypress, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Cypress

Cypress Dragon Mom

...when they have not converted to Islam or Christianity?
    I have as good as no information about native African religions and would seriously like to know more.

2. Rainbow Mage

Rainbow Mage Dharma Learner

The only thing I know is that in southern Egypt (Nubia) some still practice the old Kemetic religion. It's called Nubianism. There are also other African indegionous religions still in existence like the religion of the Yuroba people.

3. Breathe

Breathe Bitter Edgelord :^)

Religion:
    Complicated but fairly consistent
    Traditional African religions.

African religions are quite varied, but are usually similar to each sister religion in the same way say Greek and Roman beliefs are similar to one another.

4. Rainbow Mage

Yes African religions are very similar to one another

5. Cypress

Cypress Dragon Mom

Kemetic religion - is that the old religion of Egypt?

6. Rainbow Mage

Yes it is, and those in southern Egypt who still practice it call it Nubianism. I practice a reconstructionist form of it.

7. Breathe

Religion:
    It's still practised?
    Can you share the differences between modern and reconstructionist sometime?

8. Rainbow Mage

Well Reconstructionist is actually a lot more organized then the modern day form of Nubianism. Remember, most in Egypt are Muslim. Some who keep Nubian practices in Egypt are also Muslims. They do it more out of heritage then belief a lot of them. They don't have like a Priesthood or Nisut (Pharoah) like we have.

9. Rainbow Mage

They do simple little things like visit the temple of Hethert for fertility, or pour incense into the Nile River, or pray to the Blessed Mother as the Cow Lady, which cows are symbolic of Hethert.

10. Breathe

Religion:
    Cheers bro :)

11. Rainbow Mage

Remember any form of African indegionous religion that still exists would be very much a shadow of it's former self. Africa has had it's culture and land raped twice by Christians and then Muslims. And it's very much a crime in some parts of Africa to practice the folk religions.

12. Rainbow Mage

We'd like to bring a Kemetic revival to Egypt or at least get some house members there, but the government won't allow it. There are some people there who would want to. They may even would accept that Rev. Tamara Siuda is the Nisut of their people.

13. Cypress

Cypress Dragon Mom

I would really like to know more about Kemetic religion.
    Do goddesses play an important part in it (Isis)?

14. Rainbow Mage

15. Rainbow Mage

I myself am a son of Sekhmet-Mut, and so I'm devoted to her :)

16. simonremi

simonremi African Spiritualist

There are many unbroken African religious traditions all over, although especially in central Africa. African countries were exploited, but African traditional religion certainly didn't go into a decline or undergo huge modifications like was seen in the African diaspora and the development of traditions like Haitian Vodou, Obeah, etc.

It is also worth noting that African religion began to mix with Christianity before the slave trade and not only in the diaspora, but also in Africa itself. African kingdoms (example, in Benin) had begun to adopt and practice Christianity alongside African traditional religion, merging the two freely, before it became a necessity in the diaspora. So in a sense there are Christian practices that are very African in content and origin, with Jesus and the Saints already being associated with African spirituality in the continent.

Songbird, The Sum of Awe and SageTree like this.
  17. aiouinfo

aiouinfo New Member

nice sharing thank for

18. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

As an African person myself I wish I could tell you but I don't know. Everything from my experience of African religion/spirituality has involved the Abrahamic religions.

19. Breathe

Religion:
    Have you looked through Wiki to see different African religions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serer_religion
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odinani

Or looked at Voodoo and Vodou, Candomblé, and similar Afro-Americas religions?

20. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted