• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What distinct characteristic defines your religion?

GoodbyeDave

The distinctive feature of polytheism is realism. We expect a reasonable amount of evidence for the gods we worship. We are skeptical of people who announce that they are emissaries from the creator — we say show us your credentials. We are skeptical of people who say their scripture came from the creator — we ask why they didn't do a better job. We don't claim to love everybody — not everyone deserves it.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The distinct characteristic that defines my religion? It is the nurturing and development of the individual mind so each person can resist the herd mentality and think for themselves.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For my own tradition, I would probably have to say non-anthropocentrism, if not anti-anthropocentrism. Another way of framing that would be ecocentrism or animism, if we want to speak in the positive instead of in the negative. I reject the notion that humans are somehow the center of importance and meaning. I reject the notion that humans are the only people. The world is not about humans, much less the universe, nor do humans have some special/privileged status in the eyes of the gods. My tradition considers all people, whether or not they are human, and on their own merits. That is something of a rarity in Western culture.

Yerda

Veteran Member
For my own tradition, I would probably have to say non-anthropocentrism, if not anti-anthropocentrism. Another way of framing that would be ecocentrism or animism, if we want to speak in the positive instead of in the negative. I reject the notion that humans are somehow the center of importance and meaning. I reject the notion that humans are the only people. The world is not about humans, much less the universe, nor do humans have some special/privileged status in the eyes of the gods. My tradition considers all people, whether or not they are human, and on their own merits. That is something of a rarity in Western culture.
I like this.

I don't have a religion or a tradition but I do feel drawn to expressions like that above or this below,

THERE is a pleasure in the pathless woods,

There is a rapture on the lonely shore,

There is society where none intrudes

By the deep sea, and music in its roar:

I love not man the less, but nature more,

From these our interviews, in which I steal

From all I may be, or have been before,

To mingle with the universe, and feel

What I can ne’er express, yet cannot all conceal.

From this poem: The Sea. Lord Byron (1788-1824). VII. The Sea. Bliss Carman, et al., eds. 1904. The World's Best Poetry. V. Nature

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say the most distinguishing characteristics of my path are tolerance of the paths of others, the emphasis on understanding what I am rather than understanding what is other than me (others, a deity, etc.), and the absence of dogma.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The distinct characteristic of Judaism is Law/Ethics. Our God is a God who cares deeply how we treat each other.