• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What distinct characteristic defines your religion?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Hadith - Zuhd - Sunan Ibn Majah - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم)

"Every religion has its distinct characteristic, and the distinct characteristic of Islam is modesty"

(Muhammad, Vol. 5, Book 37, Hadith 4181)

In the above ahadith, Muhammad claims every religion (dīn) is defined by a distinguishing and individuating value which exemplifies its broader message more than any other. This is not to say that the religion is confined to teaching this, by any means (i.e. Islam also has much to say about social justice, with the Qur'an condemning practices such as female infanticide and commending charity for the dispossessed, along with innumerable other subjects of morality). Rather, this 'characteristic' is something present throughout every strata of the faith's value system and arguably to a greater extent than other faith traditions (even though they may very well teach that same value, albeit to a more secondary or less central degree).

For example, the Islamic preoccupation with 'modesty' not only governs how Muslim men and women dress in terms of hijab rules; it also has a much more general application, with simplicity being of great importance in daily life:

Dimensions Of Manner And Morals Of The Holy Prophet

The life of His Eminence [Muhammad] was extremely simple and without any frills. His house was small and made up of clay. The floor was covered with a piece of mat and his food mostly consisted of barley bread and dates. Many a times it so happened that he did not even have this meager food and went hungry for a day or more. His clothes were simple and he mended his own shoes. But his simplicity was not due to poverty or deprivation, because he also possessed the strength to work and also had a share in war booty and public treasury.

Ibn Abbas narrates:

One day Umar came to the Holy Prophet (S) to find that the mat on which he was sitting had left an imprint on his side. He said: O Messenger of Allah (S), if you had only procured a nice carpet for yourself. The Holy Prophet (S) replied: What do I have to do with the material world? My simile in the world is like the simile of a rider traveling on a hot day and who sits under a shade for an hour; then moves on

Modesty even extends to worship style and the layout of mosques:

Adorning mosques and extravagance in building minarets and domes - Islam Question & Answer

You should avoid extravagance in the furnishings, doors and so on, for Allaah does not love those who are extravagant. Al-Bukhaari entitled a chapter in his Saheeh: “Chapter on the building of mosques; Abu Sa’eed said: The roof of the mosque – i.e., the mosque of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – was made of palm branches. ‘Umar ordered that the mosque be rebuilt and he said: Protect the people from rain, but beware of using red or yellow (for adornment) and distracting the people. Anas said: They build mosques about boast about that, but they do not use them for worship except rarely. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: You are going toadorn (mosques) as the Jews and Christians adorn (their places of worship).

Abu Dawood (448) narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have not been commanded to build lofty mosques.” Ibn ‘Abbaas said: You are going toadorn (mosques) as the Jews and Christians adorn (their places of worship). This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

By the standards of a few other religions, such as Christianity with its intricate framework of complicated dogmatic precepts, the fundamental Islamic creedo (the Shahada) is also remarkably modest in its theological scope: "I bear witness that there is no deity but God, and I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God."

I'm now going to open up Muhammad's basic thesis here to wider discussion: do you think there is a distinct characteristic which defines given religions, firstly your own if you happen to have one, more than any other?

Taking another example, I would venture to say that "non-violence" defines Jainism as its distinctive characteristic. Other faith traditions teach precepts of non-retaliation and forbearance towards enemies but none have been so radical - whether before or since - as the religion of Mahavira in applying it absolutely and universally through the doctrine of ahimsa. Mahatma Gandhi was of the view:

"No religion in the World has explained the principle of Ahimsa so deeply and systematically as is discussed with its applicability in every human life in Jainism. As and when the benevolent principle of Ahimsa or non-violence will be ascribed for practice by the people of the world to achieve their end of life in this world and beyond. Jainism is sure to have the uppermost status and Lord Mahavira is sure to be respected as the greatest authority on Ahimsa" (Pandey, Janardan (1998), Gandhi and 21st Century, p. 50)​

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: The belief that God continues to reveal His truths to mankind through a living prophet, and the belief in scripture in addition to (though not in place of) the Bible. (These two things are actually closely related.)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I agree when it comes to Islam. I admire it for its simplicity as compared to the other Abrahamic religions, although I think the denominations of that religion have rather missed the point and overcomplicated things to an extent. I always thought the message of the Qur'an was rather simple and straight-forward.

As for my own religion, I think the defining characteristic is a firm belief in fate or destiny, but also in perseverance. All things are destined to end one day, but what makes a person courageous is if they continue to fight in the war of life or not.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Faith...hope and love.

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up, 5 does not behave indecently,+ does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. 6 It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

The most necessary component...?
"Now, however, these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Rival You won't find Jehovah's Witnesses with innocent blood on their hands....can you say the same for Israel? (Isaiah 1:15)

Cooky

Veteran Member
Hadith - Zuhd - Sunan Ibn Majah - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم)

"Every religion has its distinct characteristic, and the distinct characteristic of Islam is modesty"

(Muhammad, Vol. 5, Book 37, Hadith 4181)

In the above ahadith, Muhammad claims every religion (dīn) is defined by a distinguishing and individuating value which exemplifies its broader message more than any other. This is not to say that the religion is confined to teaching this, by any means (i.e. Islam also has much to say about social justice, with the Qur'an condemning practices such as female infanticide and commending charity for the dispossessed, along with innumerable other subjects of morality). Rather, this 'characteristic' is something present throughout every strata of the faith's value system and arguably to a greater extent than other faith traditions (even though they may very well teach that same value, albeit to a more secondary or less central degree).

For example, the Islamic preoccupation with 'modesty' not only governs how Muslim men and women dress in terms of hijab rules; it also has a much more general application, with simplicity being of great importance in daily life:

Dimensions Of Manner And Morals Of The Holy Prophet

The life of His Eminence [Muhammad] was extremely simple and without any frills. His house was small and made up of clay. The floor was covered with a piece of mat and his food mostly consisted of barley bread and dates. Many a times it so happened that he did not even have this meager food and went hungry for a day or more. His clothes were simple and he mended his own shoes. But his simplicity was not due to poverty or deprivation, because he also possessed the strength to work and also had a share in war booty and public treasury.

Ibn Abbas narrates:

One day Umar came to the Holy Prophet (S) to find that the mat on which he was sitting had left an imprint on his side. He said: O Messenger of Allah (S), if you had only procured a nice carpet for yourself. The Holy Prophet (S) replied: What do I have to do with the material world? My simile in the world is like the simile of a rider traveling on a hot day and who sits under a shade for an hour; then moves on

Modesty even extends to worship style and the layout of mosques:

Adorning mosques and extravagance in building minarets and domes - Islam Question & Answer

You should avoid extravagance in the furnishings, doors and so on, for Allaah does not love those who are extravagant. Al-Bukhaari entitled a chapter in his Saheeh: “Chapter on the building of mosques; Abu Sa’eed said: The roof of the mosque – i.e., the mosque of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – was made of palm branches. ‘Umar ordered that the mosque be rebuilt and he said: Protect the people from rain, but beware of using red or yellow (for adornment) and distracting the people. Anas said: They build mosques about boast about that, but they do not use them for worship except rarely. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: You are going toadorn (mosques) as the Jews and Christians adorn (their places of worship).

Abu Dawood (448) narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have not been commanded to build lofty mosques.” Ibn ‘Abbaas said: You are going toadorn (mosques) as the Jews and Christians adorn (their places of worship). This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

By the standards of a few other religions, such as Christianity with its intricate framework of complicated dogmatic precepts, the fundamental Islamic creedo (the Shahada) is also remarkably modest in its theological scope: "I bear witness that there is no deity but God, and I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God."

I'm now going to open up Muhammad's basic thesis here to wider discussion: do you think there is a distinct characteristic which defines given religions, firstly your own if you happen to have one, more than any other?

Taking another example, I would venture to say that "non-violence" defines Jainism as its distinctive characteristic. Other faith traditions teach precepts of non-retaliation and forbearance towards enemies but none have been so radical - whether before or since - as the religion of Mahavira in applying it absolutely and universally through the doctrine of ahimsa. Mahatma Gandhi was of the view:

"No religion in the World has explained the principle of Ahimsa so deeply and systematically as is discussed with its applicability in every human life in Jainism. As and when the benevolent principle of Ahimsa or non-violence will be ascribed for practice by the people of the world to achieve their end of life in this world and beyond. Jainism is sure to have the uppermost status and Lord Mahavira is sure to be respected as the greatest authority on Ahimsa" (Pandey, Janardan (1998), Gandhi and 21st Century, p. 50)​

Mohammad is 100% wrong about that.

Modesty is an exclusively Catholic characteristic... Everyone's heard of Catholic "guilt". That's modesty to the extreme.

...I don't see Islam being modest when husbands dictate to their wives what to do.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Mohammad is 100% wrong about that.

Modesty is an exclusively Catholic characteristic... Everyone's heard of Catholic "guilt". That's modesty to the extreme.

...I don't see Islam being modest when husbands dictate to their wives what to do.
Nothing says "modest" like amassing and displaying wealth. :rolleyes:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Nothing says "modest" like amassing and displaying wealth. :rolleyes:

I agree. That's why I'm a poor man. Even though I make over 200,000 I still have to borrow money for rent, and people hate me for it.

I don't have time for budgeting. My job is physically demanding and very time consuming. My wife lives good though, but she was in special ed in high school, so she can't understand bills. She eats out every meal at cheesecake factory and sports Louis Vuitton. And then yells at me when we run out of money.

Cooky

Veteran Member
My lack of religious faith is based on observation and understanding of the natural world and philosophy (more specifically in skepticism).

That seems like a good way to go. I might try that one day. I'm essentially there now, really.

I'm currently not in communion with the Church.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Truth is simple yet life is hard. That's the defining characteristic of my religion.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I agree. That's why I'm a poor man. Even though I make over 200,000 I still have to borrow money for rent, and people hate me for it.

I don't have time for budgeting. My job is physically demanding and very time consuming. My wife lives good though, but she was in special ed in high school, so she can't understand bills. She eats out every meal at cheesecake factory and sports Louis Vuitton. And then yells at me when we run out of money.
I was referring to the church itself.