• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what disqualifies someone from being hindu

what in your opinion makes somebody not hindu, or not able to be hindu. anything from eating meat to never reading the gita. just curious i know al religions have them

En'me

RightBehindEveryoneElse
This is like, a super duper vague question, because we all know, Hinduism is super diverse and big and yada yada yada, instead of going that route, I'm going to actualy try to think up some legit reasons for when a person cannot be a "Hindu".

1. I think, in my opinion atleast, for example, I don't understand how a person can be "Hindu" when he eats meat. I mean, you can classify yourself as "Hindu", but you're disregarding one of the major principles called Ahimsa, the first word of the first limb of Yoga.

Now, this might make look ignorant or something, but I am genuinly curious what the reasons are for Hindu people to eat meat.

Other than that, I have nothing, because, you find alot of things, diverse schools of thought, seperate sects (actualy standalone religions, but hey, Hinduism's the religion, we can thank the modern terminology for that mesh up) and so on and since Hinduism collectively refers to everything from the start of India and all the evolution of it until today, there really is no way you can actualy adhare to the original ideas originating from the 4 Vedas, so what could you actualy reject and say, "doing/not doing that/this will make/not make you a "Hindu""?

Last edited:

Maija

I am sure that this varies with different sects and schools of thought.
I read this:

5 PRINCIPLES
1. God Exists: One Absolute OM.
One Trinity: Brahma, Vishnu, Maheshwara (Shiva)
Several divine forms
2. All human beings are divine
3. Unity of existence through love
4. Religious harmony
5. Knowledge of 3 Gs: Ganga (sacred river), Gita (sacred script), Gayatri (sacred mantra)

10 DISCIPLINES

1. Satya (Truth)
2. Ahimsa (Non-violence)
3. Brahmacharya (Celibacy, non-adultery)
4. Asteya (No desire to possess or steal)
5. Aparighara (Non-corrupt)

6. Shaucha (Cleanliness)
7. Santosh (Contentment)
8. Swadhyaya (Reading of scriptures)
9. Tapas (Austerity, perseverance, penance)
10. Ishwarpranidhan (Regular prayers)

I underlined things I thought to be correct. YOu will get, I am sure many different stances on this :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not accepting the authority and validity of the Vedas, is, I believe, the deal-breaker for not being considered Hindu.

I don't think that eating meat is the show stopper for someone not being considered Hindu. People of the coastal regions of India rely on the sea for their sustenance because they cannot farm. They eat fish and other seafood, and they are still Hindu. The reasons why Hindus still eat meat are myriad, anywhere from health reasons (not everyone thrives on a vegetarian diet) to people who can only obtain meat in areas that are not farmable.

Btw, let me make it clear that I'm all for vegetarianism. I love animals and it breaks my heart to see a calf or piglet knowing that some day it's going to wind up on someone's Denny's breakfast plate.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
This is like, a super duper vague question, because we all know, Hinduism is super diverse and big and yada yada yada, instead of going that route, I'm going to actualy try to think up some legit reasons for when a person cannot be a "Hindu".

1. I think, in my opinion atleast, for example, I don't understand how a person can be "Hindu" when he eats meat. I mean, you can classify yourself as "Hindu", but you're disregarding one of the major principles called Ahimsa, the first word of the first limb of Yoga.

Now, this might make look ignorant or something, but I am genuinly curious what the reasons are for Hindu people to eat meat.

Well, for me, it's primarily health reasons. I'm severely underweight, and need the nutrients that meat provides. (I tried going vegetarian once, and got very sickly.)

It's not total disregard for ahimsa, which isn't an all-or-none deal, any more than eating yogurt (which is alive.)

I don't eat beef, though, and haven't since becoming Hindu.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Btw, let me make it clear that I'm all for vegetarianism. I love animals and it breaks my heart to see a calf or piglet knowing that some day it's going to wind up on someone's Denny's breakfast plate.

One thing I really need to start doing is some kind of ritual whenever I have to eat meat, like how the Native Americans performed honor rituals for the animals they killed. I'm also considering performing some kind of yajna when I'm older and ready to fully give up on meat altogether.

chinu

chinu
what in your opinion makes somebody not hindu, or not able to be hindu. anything from eating meat to never reading the gita. just curious i know al religions have them
Not living across river INDUS disqualifies someone from being hindu.:)

Shuddhasattva

Not accepting the authority and validity of the Vedas, is, I believe, the deal-breaker for not being considered Hindu.

Yes, pretty much this, although the 'exception to the rule' is that there are some obscure tantric sects which disavow the Vedas (yet nonetheless fall under the Hindu umbrella).

Perhaps the single most unifying doctrine is that of the pranava: auṃ, which we see run into Jainism and Buddhism as well.

I don't think that eating meat is the show stopper for someone not being considered Hindu.
AFAIK only something like 25% of Indians are vegetarian now.

Last edited:

En'me

RightBehindEveryoneElse

I don't think that eating meat is the show stopper for someone not being considered Hindu. People of the coastal regions of India rely on the sea for their sustenance because they cannot farm. They eat fish and other seafood, and they are still Hindu. The reasons why Hindus still eat meat are myriad, anywhere from health reasons (not everyone thrives on a vegetarian diet) to people who can only obtain meat in areas that are not farmable.

I'm confused by that, truthfully.

Accepting and following the Puranic version of Hinduism means you're Hindu, which vaguely translates to rejecting Vedic concepts, since many Vedic concepts and ideas are very different, some even opposite to the Puranic evolution.

Yet rejecting the Vedas means you're no longer Hindu.

Shuddhasattva

I'm confused by that, truthfully.

Accepting and following the Puranic version of Hinduism means you're Hindu, which vaguely translates to rejecting Vedic concepts, since many Vedic concepts and ideas are very different, some even opposite to the Puranic evolution.

Yet rejecting the Vedas means you're no longer Hindu.

It is confusing, but even the puranas which implicitly reject or replace Vedic doctrines always derive their authority with the cachet of the Vedas.

Mostly it just comes down to ignorance as to what Vedic doctrine really is.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing I really need to start doing is some kind of ritual whenever I have to eat meat, like how the Native Americans performed honor rituals for the animals they killed. I'm also considering performing some kind of yajna when I'm older and ready to fully give up on meat altogether.

I feel the same way. Native Americans, Inuit, and most likely the First Nations all gave thanks to the spirit of the animal for giving its life for theirs. I am not vegetarian, though some day I would like to be. It's no hypocrisy or lie to say it breaks my heart to know that a cute little animal (lamb is out of the question, as is beef) is going to wind up at someone's dinner table, and not as a guest. It does break my heart, but at this point I also have a health issue that precludes relying on legumes and grains. While they provide sufficient protein (as do yogurt and cheeses), they are so high in carbohydrates as to wreak havoc on my blood sugar and insulin response. I try to have vegetarian meals when I can make them work.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not living across river INDUS disqualifies someone from being hindu.:)

From INDUS it became H+INDUS = "HINDUS"

:facepalm:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're joking, because if not, that's a load of crap. It furthers the racism of Indian Nationalists and and the ignorance of those who don't believe that a non-Indian can be Hindu. Hindu is no more an ethnonym than Roman Catholic is. If one is not Roman, can they not be Catholic, or if one is not Greek or Russian, can one not be Greek or Russian Orthodox? :rolleyes:

nameless

The Creator
It furthers the racism of Indian Nationalists
to my understanding it is not racism, india is a dangerously diverse nation, they just wanted to unite people in india on the basis of their common culture/ancestory, so that there would be tolerance, peace and mutual respect, no disrespect to people of other nations.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
to my understanding it is not racism, india is a dangerously diverse nation, they just wanted to unite people in india on the basis on their common culture/ancestory, so that there would be tolerance, peace and mutual respect, no disrespect to people of other nations.

That may be true, and I may have made a broad statement, but I've encountered (albeit online) those types of Hindutvavadis.

Shuddhasattva

Jai, have you tried pure gluten flour? You can get high protein vegetable concentrates that oftentimes taste amazing. Gluten/seitan steaks are delicious.

Chinese Buddhist monks develped seitan about a millennia ago out of the need for high protein diets combined with vegetarianism.